"oh No......not Again......she's Baaaccckkkk".....

Lounge By TheCakeShak Updated 20 Oct 2006 , 4:00pm by vicky

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 56

icon_cry.gif Good Day Everyone.....

"Guess who's back????" That nightmare neighbor from down the street..
THIS TIME.....she's driving by, stops her vehicle as I am getting out of mine, with my arms loaded with groceries..and had asked me if I would "consider" doing a cake for one of her friends.....

As I stood there watching my milk get warm, I kept pondering whether I should or should not do a cake for "her friend" since it was going through "her". And like clockwork, she asked me to "work with her and her friend on the price". My face started to scrinch up with anger and wanted to tell her to keep on driving....but I was polite and said, "I'm not sure if I could help her since I had to check my calender on baking". Because I can still remember her episode from the last time.....

So she told me to let her know by Friday.....What my question is.....should I or shouldn't I???
I am standing "on the fence" and don't know if I should jump into the fire pit again, or just tell her "no" can't do it,that I am too busy or just do it, and charge a outrageous price and tell her price is not negotiable.
In my heart, it is telling me, don't bother.....and in my mind is telling me, "well, here we go again, and is she going to tell those who know her, that my cakes "are nasty" as she last put it, I believe it was how she said it?

Any suggestions?????

55 replies
debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 56

well, just my 2 cents here,,and I don't know what happened last time,, but I would just not bother,, and don't worry about what she says,, your cakes are beautiful and i'm sure taste great and the ones that know you know that too!! Good luck whatever you decide..

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 56

I remember this. Well you know she knows they are not really "nasty" cause SHEEEE'S BACKKK lol. Follow your heart, but if your head gets in the way (lol), I would work with the friend only, and give her your true price. I remember what you went through with her. Good Luck.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 56

I wouldn't do cakes "through" anybody! If her friend wants a cake tell her to give her friend YOUR number and talk to her yourself! I know someone who is frustrating like this...you don't even have to explain. Anytime she comes to me with "work" I just hand her a business card and say "Great! Pass my card on to them and I'll be happy to discuss it with them!" There is NO CAKE worth the headache you are going to face dealing with this woman! IMO!

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 56

Well, I'd love to know what you went through with this person, is it posted on here somewhere? First of all, if she said that your cakes are nasty, she has ALOT of nerve to even discuss cakes with you again. I think I'd tell her you've got alot of wedding cakes to do or make it sound like your phone is ringing off the wall, and you just don't have time for her friend. teehee

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 56

I would tell her if her friend wants a cake to give her friend your number and you will discuss the cake with the friend. That away you do not have to deal with the lady you have problems with.

And if you don't feel comfortable doing a cake for either one of them, then just say no. It is your right to choose not to do a cake for someone. You can be booked. It doesn't mean you are booked with another cake, it could easily mean you are booked to spend time with your kids.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 56

Yikes!! I am all about NO headaches.....so I'd just tell her NO! I need to practice what I preach though!!

Seriously though...if she really is that much of a pain to deal with I wouldn't do it.....or charge an extremely high amount so she'll go somewhere else....since your cakes "are nasty" anyways!!

Some people just have nerve!!

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 56

You'll probably just have another run-in with her over it and then wish you hadn't agreed to do it, so I'd just say "no" if I were you. This is that crazy woman who wanted to order a wedding cake from you and then said she would decide after it was done and setup if she liked it and was going to pay you or not???
Please tell me you are not considering doing even a cupcake for this woman!!! She's as difficult as they come. She'll never pay you enough to make it worth dealing with her. In fact, you should probably just tell her that outright and ask her to please stop approaching you about cakes since she is rude and thinks your cakes are "nasty" anyway. And then RUN AWAY! RUN VERY FAR AWAY!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 56

If you had an very unpleasant and unhappy experience with this
person, then don't do it. Don't be a cake hero.. there is no such thing.

She's not gonna die if you won't do it. save yourself the grief, stress and migranes
. icon_smile.giftry wearing a necklace of garlic around your neck, maybe she'll stay away..but then again , it's Halloween icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 56

I don't know the details about your neighbor, but I WILL say this. Even though it isn't always the case, making and decorating cakes SHOULD be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. There aren't that many things I LOVE to do, but I love almost everything about decorating (including this site icon_smile.gif SO...why open yourself up to an experience that will most likely cause disappointment or pain? I'm sure there are other more appreciative people you know who you could spend your precious time and effort on.

Sorry for the rant - it just infuriates me that this woman criticized your cake then had the nerve to come back to you!

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 56

I don't even know the details of the previous incident, however it seems as if your stress level went up with just the quick conversation, with this in mind, just say "NO!". You don't owe her any details or explanations, simply say "I'm not able to do it". Why on earth would she come back to you if your cake was "nasty"? Some people just love to start trouble and make others miserable. Don't let her put you in this position again.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 56

I agree with SweetConfectionsChef ... hand her a business card and ever-so-sweetly tell her to have her friend call you. If she HAS to be a part of the deal, then give her an ultra-high price and TELL her that this is your VERY BOTTOM OF THE BARREL DEAL. If they want to dicker, tell them that this is as low as you can go and you will CERTAINLY understand if they would prefer to find someone else to do their cake.

I always say, a happy customer MAY be the customer that went to someone else for what she wanted because it means you won't have to suffer some viscious word-of-mouth from her unhappiness.

Best of luck and LET US ALL KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE!!!!!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 56

I remembered this from months back...i just reread some of the old post.s ....i just have one question....Why would you possibly even consider doing a cake for her....at one point she made you so upset you were going to stop doing cakes. Just tell her no and move on. The fact that you have "Oh No" in your title explains it all.

BigFatMamaKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 56

I went back and read the old posts about this neighbor.
Don't have ANYTHING to do with her. Tell her you are already booked, even if by "booked" you mean "taking a bubble bath."

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 56

ge978,

AMEN.. thumbs_up.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 56

NO! No way! NO NO NO! I remember your post from before. It is not worth it! Your cakes are beautiful and no price in the world would be worth it if I was in your situation. No one should ever treat someone else that way. I'd be polite and just tell her that you are busy, otherwise committed, etc. but NO NO NO NO NO NO

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:53pm
post #17 of 56

I'm sorry . .. work with you on the price?? Gimme a break. How about this . . . quote her a pretty steep price and then say that you would love to "work with her on the price" but since the grocery stores don't give you a discount based on your good looks, regular price is just going to have to suffice.

I'd be really honest with this person . . . let her know your time and talent is something that you have learned to take pride in. If you don't charge accordingly it just isn't worth the work . . . . and leave it at that. If she doesn't understand that just too bad--I'm sure a Costco cake isn't that expensive and will taste soooooo yummy . .. . icon_smile.gif

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:53pm
post #18 of 56

Run for you life.....lock your doors.....lock your windows.....Just say NO

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:56pm
post #19 of 56

I would run and lock my door. They only way I would do a cake for that person is directly through the friend.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:00pm
post #20 of 56

While I personally wouldn't do it if you must charge her 4x what you normally do. If she has a problem with the cake take half of that price, you still get twice the normal price. Consider this the B_____ fee.

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:03pm
post #21 of 56

I must agree with everyone else. Don't put yourself through all of that turmoil again. At best, I would tell her that you have made it your practice to deal directly with the client only, to eliminate miscommunication and have her friend give you a call directly. But also beware that her friend could very well be just like HER. icon_surprised.gif

I would just pass up the opportunity to have someone degrade your extremely talented work. You could even tell her that for future events to keep in mind that you are being "booked up" a few months in advance.

Good luck!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:04pm
post #22 of 56

OMG! OMG! OMG! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I just went back and looked at the beginning of this story....you have a lot more restraint than I do!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Not only would she have been pulling my shoe out of her a$$ but her teeth out of my kitchen floor! Holy Cow! Some people just walk this earth oblivious to the chance they could act like that to the wrong person.....hence living with a giant a$$hole and not a tooth left in their head! OMG! I wouldn't give that lunatic a response at all! I would walk off from her laughing my head off if she ever asked me for anything else! What a fool she has made of herself! RUN like you've never RUN before! Don't even give her the business card that I previously suggested....just RUN!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:04pm
post #23 of 56

I would, next time she talks to you...tell her you don't have time to talk to her right now, but if she were to give her friend your number you would make some time to "DISCUSS" the order with the client.

and do not pursue this order..if she doesn't call you by Thursday...fohgedabouit!

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:42pm
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

I wouldn't do cakes "through" anybody! If her friend wants a cake tell her to give her friend YOUR number and talk to her yourself! I know someone who is frustrating like this...you don't even have to explain. Anytime she comes to me with "work" I just hand her a business card and say "Great! Pass my card on to them and I'll be happy to discuss it with them!" There is NO CAKE worth the headache you are going to face dealing with this woman! IMO!

Well said! thumbs_up.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:52pm
post #25 of 56

Don't bother, some people are just impossible to please, if you already had a bad experience with her, why do it again? And just as everybody said already... ir your cakes are "nasty" why is she back? Maybe she just wants to mess with you... run forrest run! icon_surprised.gif

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:28pm
post #26 of 56

I agree with everyone else, you seem to have your inner "red flag" raised with this woman! I have a choice few people that, when they call...I check my calender, only to ALWAYS find that I have family plans OR personal appointments OR I am overbooked OR...you get the idea!

Go with your instinct on this one, and walk away with your sanity intact!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:37pm
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdummy2

And like clockwork, she asked me to "work with her and her friend on the price".

Hi there ... I don't know the history between you and this woman, but the above quote alone is a RED FLAG!!! I think it's not worth the heartache that this crazy woman will most definitely cause you, so I agree with many of the other posters and suggest that you JUST SAY NO!!!!! icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm
post #28 of 56

Are you kidding me???? NO WAY!!!!! do you remember how you felt last time! I remember your post on this a while back, thats how bad it was, I can Remember exactly who you are talking about and what happened. Please don't put yourself through this again...

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:48pm
post #29 of 56

RUN THE OTHER WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:56pm
post #30 of 56

Like the other post said I wouldn'y go through anyone either, too much confusion. I remember how much she hurt your feeling the last time and also the way she returned your items. I would tell her to have the person contact you. I would only deal with that person ONLY. Clauses in your contract so you don't have to worry about your things being returned inappropriately, you get the jist. First sign of trouble, run the other way.

Good Luck
Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%