Diamond Fondant Shapes

Decorating By gingsd Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 12:21am by gingsd

gingsd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingsd Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:42am
post #1 of 11

I asked this once before, but can't find the topic. I'm going to be making my first Whimiscal cake and wondered what the best way is to make the diamond fondant shapes for the sides of the cake. I think some of you said ruler and pizza cutter, but isn't there some cutters out there somewhere. If not, how do I figure out the diamond sizes for the cake? Any opinions are appreciated.

10 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #2 of 11

I bought the 4 piece Wilton metal fondant cutters in the square shape and squeezed 2 sides together to make them diamond shaped. I couldn't find diamond shaped cutters locally and didn't want to pay shipping for something so simple. I think I got the cutters at Michaels for a couple of bucks.

You can also use a ruler and a pizza cutter, or X-acto knife, or paring knife, or whatever. If you're cutting them by hand, you determine the height of the diamond by whatever height you want the diamond shape to be on the cake.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:51am
post #3 of 11

I've used cookie cutters before.

loriann40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriann40 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:53am
post #4 of 11

I just did a cake with diamond shapes around the bottom tier (it's in my photos). The cutter I used was from my son's play-doh kit, but the size was perfect to go around an 8 inch round. icon_smile.gif

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:58am
post #5 of 11

I'm preparing for a cake with fondant diamond shapes due on the 30th. Last night I printed out a diamond shape. I reduced the size and what printed out was the smallest I could get it. I'll take it to a copy machine and reduce even more; 5 different sizes 1 1/2", 2", 4", 41/2" and 5" tall, then cut with a pizza cutter. I'm thinking about going to my cake supply store and seeing if they have individual ones in different sizes (I'm not ready to spend 20.00 on the diamond nesting set) because I don't know if I want to cut out all those diamonds, but I'll see after the first two. Here's the website in case your interested, www.preschoolcoloringbook.com just click on shapes. I hope this helps.

gingsd Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:13am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. I found the ateco diamond nesting cutters on ebay. I'm just deciding if I should go that route or not. Shipping is a killer. I'd love to find them locally.

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:30am
post #7 of 11

My small diamond cookie cutter is from A.C. Moore...I think it was in the big bin of $.99 cutters as part of the playing cards set (diamond, heart, club, spades). Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 4:35am
post #8 of 11

I just actually asked this question the other day and instead of going out to buy a diamond cutter I did what CakePro did and used my large wilton square cutter and squeezed the sides some so it shaped into a diamond. came out perfect and I didn't even have to spend any extra money!

I just uploaded the cake if you want to see it! icon_smile.gif

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 11

Brilliant idea! Yes, please post the cake photo...It would be great to see it!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:01am
post #10 of 11

Ateco makes a great set of 8 nested diamond shaped cutters for $10.99. Scroll down to diamond cutters.
https://www.candylandcrafts.com/cc-ateconestedsets.htm

gingsd Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:21am
post #11 of 11

I appreciate everyone's hints and advice so much. I decided to go the easy way and order the set of diamond cutters. If one of the sizes doesn't work for my project, I'll just have to improvise. Thanks again!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%