Fondant Behaving Badly

Decorating By loriann40 Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 12:48am by loriann40

loriann40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriann40 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am pretty new to cake decorating and am looking for some help. I have used mmf before sucessfully, but I made a batch of chocolate mmf yesterday and it is a disaster. It is cracking everywhere when I roll it out and seems to have very little pliability. I have tried adding a little water, crisco, and microwaving for a few seconds before rolling. It helped a little, but there's no way I'll be able to cover a cake without it cracking on the edges. Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

8 replies
keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 9

I wish I had some advice! Sounds like what happened to mine last week, and I fought with it for HOURS without success. icon_sad.gif I finally ended up scrapping it and starting over...adding less sugar. HOpefully someone else has a better tip! icon_wink.gif

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 9

I tried several times to make chocolate MMF with no luck. Cocoa is very drying and I couldn't get it to stop cracking and tearing. I gave up and ended up ordering mine pre made. The only thing I could suggest is try adding less powdered sugar (just add a little at a time till you get the right consistency). I don't think you can save the batch you made already. Good luck!

CharMarBoBar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharMarBoBar Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 9

I just tried to make it, also for the first time, today myself. It got very stiff VERY fast. I didn't add very much PS (I couldn't get it to all mix together) and I'm not sure if I did right by stopping to add. It feels okay for right now...we'll see later how it rolls out!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 9

I would try kneading in more shortening... I do that with regular fondant, but I've never worked with MMF... the guideline I was given was a tablespoon per pound of fondant

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 9

Sounds like you're on the right track with the water, shortening, and microwaving. You said you microwaved it for a few seconds - it may need longer than that. If it's a whole batch of MMF it may need at least 20 seconds, maybe longer. I always microwave it until it is quite warm (but not hot!), it makes it very pliable. Don't give up, good luck!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 9

and keep adding in a little shortening at a time...I found out that humidy (any weather at all) will cause trouble with the fondant....I just kept kneading and adding a little crisco....microwaving then kneading till it was perfect.

and don't use all the ps
oops and I also just put a little coating of shortening on my mat because PS ALWAYS gave me trouble.

HTH

NoHoDolphin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoHoDolphin Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 9

I've had really good luck with MMF - my first 2 batches were bad - one too grreesy, the other too dry but just like Goldie Locks - now they're just right.

Can you please tell me your recipe for Choc MMF. I'll be happy to give it a try and send you any suggestions that may help.

thansk,

Doreen

loriann40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriann40 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone - I was able to save it enough to use for accents, but not to cover the top tier.

Dorreen - I used the chocolate marshmallow fondant recipe from the recipe section here. Hopefully I'll have better luck next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%