Found A Nice Cake Site!!

Decorating By Charmed Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 4:22am by melysa

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 35

I was just browsing the net and came across this cake site, beautiful cakes thumbs_up.gif
Here is the link... enjoy!!

http://www.thehouseofsugar.co.uk/cakes/index.html

34 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 35

Amazing artistry on this site - thanks for sharing (added to my bookmarks). I also like some of the flavor combinations they have.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:04am
post #3 of 35

Wow! I'm totally in awe! The plaid wedding cakes are so original!!!!

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 35

Just fantastic! Thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 35

WOW! I'd love to know how they make that edible tartan, and the triple chocolate fudge cake with three different flavours of chocolate ganache sounds divine!

Kelly

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 35

WOW! Amazing!!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 35

beautiful!! thanks for sharing.

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 35

Cool thanks!

mommacat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacat5 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 35

icon_eek.gif Okay....I went to the site, clicked on cakes and got no where....so i clicked on edible images {elvis} the page opens to a full body naked woman!!!! with my three children in the room I was no real happy to see this. Never found any cakes. icon_surprised.gif

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 35

thank its amaizing

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 35

Thanks I just wanted to reach in and eat everything they had on the web site...... Saved to my favorites.

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 35

Breathtaking. Can you imagine making the cake the morning of the wedding!!!!

LGL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LGL Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 35

I clicked on the first picture -- and saw copies of several of Kate Sullivan's cakes from New York. How can they put that out in public?

By the way, Kate Sullivan has some wonderful ORIGINAL designs on her new website. . . . .so creative!

http://www.cakepower.com/default4.asp

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 35

so, whose cake is this? i was always under the impression that kate sullivan was the original designer...am i wrong? if you look at the pictures side by side,its the exact same photo, only one is lighter and "minus" the napkins.

http://www.thehouseofsugar.co.uk/cakes/hautecouture/7.html

and this one by elisa strauss...again, same photo (look at them side by side!!! BUT someone changed the background)

http://www.confetticakes.com/wd29.html

http://www.thehouseofsugar.co.uk/cakes/hautecouture/6.html

i am pretty sure that this cake website is stealing photos of other designers work (elisa's cake is in her book!) . i'm sure that if i looked longer i would find others that i recognized.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:17pm
post #15 of 35

What great sites!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #17 of 35

Amazing website! Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacat5

icon_eek.gif Okay....I went to the site, clicked on cakes and got no where....so i clicked on edible images {elvis} the page opens to a full body naked woman!!!! with my three children in the room I was not real happy to see this. Never found any cakes. icon_surprised.gif

That "full body naked woman" IS A CAKE!

If you had scrolled down, you would have seen Elvis, and other cakes as well.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:35pm
post #18 of 35

The cakes pics seem to be from other websites. Kate Sullivan's cake was on her episode of "Recipe for Success" on the food network.

I find it hard to believ that Kate Sullivan and Elisa Staruss need to steal pics of other cakes. Also if you read the House of Sugar website page "About Us" they never really talk about themelves... Seems shady to me.

melysa Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:37pm
post #19 of 35

i've emailed elisa straus, kate sullivan and margaret braun to let them know the website is using their original photos without permission.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #20 of 35

melysa I just did the same!

Hopefully our good deed will give us some good cake karma.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommacat5

icon_eek.gif Okay....I went to the site, clicked on cakes and got no where....so i clicked on edible images {elvis} the page opens to a full body naked woman!!!! with my three children in the room I was no real happy to see this. Never found any cakes. icon_surprised.gif

Haha! Yeah, that happened to me too. Luckily, no children in the room. icon_wink.gif I think maybe they should have put that photo at the "bottom" of the page, and maybe a little warning right before it, so you could scoot the kids out, or maybe have a page dedicated to such edibles, so you only see that page if you want to. icon_wink.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:29pm
post #22 of 35

I was wondering about the pilfered photo's also. Then there should be a warning about the adult cakes. I'm not a prude but that cake made my eyes pop. icon_eek.gif

I love, love looking at cakes, but unfortunately I'm not impressed with this site, the questions regarding other works makes me very uncomfortable.

.......however the detective work, i.e. figuring out who's cake is who's makes this site fun detective.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:40pm
post #23 of 35

Could it be that the owners of the House of Sugar have replicated the cake designs??? I looked closely at the one that someone said is one of Margaret Braun's pictures and if you do look closely you will see that they are two different cakes that resemble each other. Before we go jumping to conclusions(i'm reading a lot of "seems to be", and "looks like" ) shouldn't we find out if they have recreated the cake designs or used photos from other sites. We've been the rounds on this subject before. Don't we have a lot of cakes on this site that look very similar or even identical??? Just mho!! I think I will send them an inquiry and just mention that some of the cakes in their gallery look like one's I've seen on other sites.

melysa Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:51pm
post #24 of 35

deleted duplicate post. -m

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:52pm
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

Could it be that the owners of the House of Sugar have replicated the cake designs??? I looked closely at the one that someone said is one of Margaret Braun's pictures and if you do look closely you will see that they are two different cakes that resemble each other. Before we go jumping to conclusions(i'm reading a lot of "seems to be", and "looks like" ) shouldn't we find out if they have recreated the cake designs or used photos from other sites. We've been the rounds on this subject before. Don't we have a lot of cakes on this site that look very similar or even identical??? Just mho!! I think I will send them an inquiry and just mention that some of the cakes in their gallery look like one's I've seen on other sites.

I dunno...the Kate Sullivan one and the Elisa Strauss one look identical. If you compare them side by side, you can't see any differences. A copy would have to have some variation--I can't imagine anyone being able to duplicate them so exactly in every little detail.

melysa Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:53pm
post #26 of 35
Quote:

pull the photos up side by side on your computer screen. (the links are above) there are IDENTICAL dents (bottom orange tier on kates cake) crooked ribbon (kates cake bottom right side on cake board). even the background in the photo, and cake stand is the same . it is obvious that the cup/saucer and napkins were photoshopped in . same thing on elisa's cake...background color changed, photo lightened and cup/saucer added , but looking at the exact placement and flips of flower leaves, dots etc...they are the same. this cake is in elisa's book.

while i agree that its good to give the benefit of the doubt, there are obvious signs here, the website does not give any credit as to a replication of another designers work. it is a common curtousy amongst decorators to give credit where credit is due..i've seen it on many websites, when a design is replicated. but, fraud is fraud. stealing is stealing. inspiration and permission to dulicate is something totally different.

if someone doesnt agree with me, thats up to the individual, but i find it frustrating when people are downright dishonest in their representation of a product. it is completely unfair for the original designer who has worked hard on something and is cheated out of the respect of their accomplishment.

melysa Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:09pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:

I looked closely at the one that someone said is one of Margaret Braun's pictures and if you do look closely you will see that they are two different cakes that resemble each other.

you are absolutely right on this one. i recognized the style and quickly went to margarets website and copied/pasted in a hurry, but they are different cakes when looking close enough. my apologies for jumping to conclusions on this one, but i still stand firm on the other two as stolen photos.

melysa Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:17pm
post #28 of 35

however....

HERE is the link from margarets website that does show this cake WITH....matching background. its margarets cake featured in a magazine.

http://www.margaretbraun.com/press24.html
http://www.thehouseofsugar.co.uk/cakes/hautecouture/2.html

melysa Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:29pm
post #29 of 35

i just got a reply to my email from this website:

(my email follows)

hello, i have noticed several cake photos on your website that appear to belong to other designers.

margaret braun:

http://www.thehouseofsugar.co.uk/cakes/hautecouture/2.html
http://www.margaretbraun.com/cakes.html#

kate sullivan:

http://www.thehouseofsugar.co.uk/cakes/hautecouture/7.html

elisa strauss:

http://www.thehouseofsugar.co.uk/cakes/hautecouture/6.html
http://www.confetticakes.com/wd29.html

I would recommend that you remove these and any others if it may be the case.

--------------------------------------------------------
their response, which seems to be proffessional. GOOD!
--------------------------------------------------------

Dear --------,

Many thanks indeed for your kind e-mail.

After some investigation, we have found that a junior designer at our web-site design company had placed the images on that particular page of the web-site whilst the actual page is being reconstructed. They were there as a 'dummy run' for the new page which will go live next week.

The design company apparently purchased the images from stock galleries which they use regularly.

Neither the design company or ourselves had any idea that the cakes came from existing companies, indeed the designer thought they were prop cakes for photographers port-folio shots. They were used as they roughly resembled our style.

We take copyright extremely seriously and were horrified to be directed the the web-sites from the links you kindly posted.

Thank you most sincerely for bringing this matter to our attention. We are currently having the images removed as a matter of urgency.

We are also contacting each design company personally to apologise.

Very best wishes and thanks again.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:37pm
post #30 of 35

It was very nice of them to respond. Oddly enough, their response relates to the question I was just about to type:

On CC's front page, there is a that pretty white cake with the purple flowers on it. I noticed that cake is also on the site both as the thumbnail link to the "Edible Glamour" page and in close up on the "Incredible Edible" page (after you scoll past the nekkid lady icon_lol.gif ). Everytime I've logged into CC, I've wondered who did that cake. But now, it may just be a stock photo, unless someone knows otherwise....

Edited to add: on the "Incredible Edible" page, it's there in the third row, right under the Elvis, second from the left.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%