Unusual Cupcakes. Need Help..

Decorating By Briarview Updated 17 Nov 2006 , 3:29pm by joanmary

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 42

I have these unusual cupcakes to do. I have sourced the Dariole pans and have had a practise go and have managed that part. I have to make 70 of them. I then intend to cover them with fondant but I am having a problem with the final top icing drizzled down the side. My question is.... What icing would you use, Royal Icing or Buttercream of runny constituency. Help please!
LL

41 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 42

I would use royal or poured fondant...

Cindy

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 42

I would use poured fondant also, it will spread nicely.

bamagirl92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamagirl92 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 42

I have used the poured fondant for an "experiment" in petit fours and it would be easy to work with. Has a great taste and if it gets thick you put it back on the heat and it thins up again. Might work! Good Luck!!

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 42

beautiful! where did you find the pans?? i agree poured fondant or even poured chocolate

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 42

Perhaps a POURED FONDANT would be good, or maybe a WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE that is not too warm, so it will not run all the way to the bottoms .....

hope this helps.

p.s. love, Love, LOVE that cake stand!!!

Odessa

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 42

icon_biggrin.gif Those are the cutest cupcakes ever!! Where can I get those pans?

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 42

Hi, I remember the thread where people were trying to identify the pan used to create these cute cupcakes. Is the Dariole pan the one that creates this shape? And if so, where did you find it? Very cute.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 42

did you say you are covering them in fondant first?....I would think royal for the top then....using aything warm against the fondant I would imagine cause problem

Briarview Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:38am
post #10 of 42

Yes they are Darolie pans. I did a Google search for them and then discovered my local kitchen store could get them for me.
What is poured fondant? I haven't heard of it here in New Zealand. I did try royal icing but it did not go down the sides nicely, sort of in a thin line in places and also ended up with a pool at the bottom.
The colour has to be a mint colour to match the bridesmaids on white fondant Did try white chocolate ganache but when I coloured it the colour sort of separated and it was speckled. I used Amer? colours. Any suggestions with this problem as I could use the chocolate if I get the right colour to mix correctly. Thanks

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:14am
post #11 of 42

Briarview,

I have that photo in a magazine at home and I think they mention that the icing is white chocolate tinted pink? I can check when I get home later if you like.

Briarview Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:13am
post #12 of 42

Thanks beany. Would you believe it you have just made the penny drop. Must have been a senior moment ( yes I am at that age) I now realise I used White Chocolate truffle mixture and not the white chocolate buttons. I have just tried the buttons and they colour beautifully. And yes it runs downs the sides to the desired effect. From your post I got the answer. Thanks a million.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 42

Briearview, Will you post pictures when yours are finished? I did try Googling for the pans and still couldn't find them. Does your source mail to U.S." I would love these. Thanks

sarge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarge1 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:59pm
post #14 of 42

fearlessbaker: try ebay. I saw some on there last night.

Tim-n-SEMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tim-n-SEMO Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 42

NEAT!

I've got some stainless steel souffle cups, 2 or 2.5 oz, that I may have to try these with.....looks like they're about the same, maybe not quite as narrow.

Mine are like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/SAUCE-CUPS-Stainless-Steel-Total-of-20_W0QQitemZ110042086643QQihZ001QQcategoryZ25387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tim

fearlessbaker Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:56pm
post #16 of 42

Briearview, Will you post pictures when yours are finished? I did try Googling for the pans and still couldn't find them. Does your source mail to U.S." I would love these. Thanks

fearlessbaker Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:10pm
post #17 of 42

Thanks, Sarge1 and tim n SEMO. I will get the ones on ebay if all else fails. Sarge1 are the ones that you mentioned the Darole or the Stainless? Thanks

sarge1 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:28pm
post #18 of 42

hm, well good question. I went to ebay and searched for "dariole". Several sets came up, mostly shipping from the UK. One looked stainless, several of the others were listed as "tin"!
ack, does that help?

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 4:37pm
post #19 of 42

Briar -

Could you tell us what size these are - like how many ozs. do they hold? TIA.

Briarview Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 7:34pm
post #20 of 42

Sorry fearlessbaker I misspelt Dariole. Try this site http://www.armorica.co.uk/ but I don't think they are stainless steel.
Joanmary. The size of mine are approx 2¼" H Top opening 2½" tappering to 1½' Base. They hold 125ml water. They are used for desserts or potted salad moulds as well. They are handy to have.
The wedding isn't until 18th November so will post a picture then.
LL

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 7:49pm
post #21 of 42

I wonder if you can get this same shape in the new silicone pans? Like a bunch of them (maybe a dozen) together like a traditional metal cupcake pan????

sarge1 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 8:04pm
post #22 of 42

this looks similiar, no? And they are attached so you could easily bake 6 at one time
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=BP3974

I really like this idea-the shape is elegant and unique. Can't wait to see yours, Briar

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 8:13pm
post #23 of 42

Sarge1, maybe great minds think alike! I just finished test-baking a cake mix in my old popover pans. The proportions are not quite as elegant as the dariole molds, but the look is similar. I tried a couple of different amounts and found that filling the popover molds aout 2/3 full resulted in a nice little dome that can be leveled off. The finished product is 1-3/4" across the bottom and 2-3/8" across the top - not quite as sloped as the dariole. Mine are between 2-1/8" and 2-3/8" tall after hand trimming - a task in which I do not excel icon_confused.gif . I do think that the narrower bottom of the dariole is prettier, but I already own the two popover pans thumbs_up.gif

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 3:02am
post #24 of 42

Thanks, Briar. Can't wait to see them!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 7:01am
post #25 of 42

If you can find it a product called Sno-Top Roll would work, some of the bakeries use this as a pour fondant, its heavy and covers well, it can be warmed slightly. Some use it also for the drizzle on pastries or the iced topping on cinnamon rolls.

Destini Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 10:18am
post #26 of 42

I did a search on Yahoo and this is the best price I could find

Made of non-stick steel for ease of unmolding and cleaning. Six different sizes, sold in packs of 6.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sizes & Prices

SKU Size Retail Our Price
331591 1.75"D. X 1.57"H., 2oz $30.00
331592 2" x 2", 3oz $34.00
331593 2-3/16 x 2-3/16, 4oz $35.50
331594 2-3/8 x 2-3/8, 12oz $36.50
331595 2.5" x 2.5", 6oz $59.00 $39.50
331596 2.75 x 2.75, 8oz $65.00 $43.50

Quantity : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
LL

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 1:36pm
post #27 of 42

Good luck with the baking. Look forward to seeing a picture of the finished product. Does this mean that you have managed to get the cake stand made to order?

Briarview Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 6:17pm
post #28 of 42

Yes BarabaraK, I had to get the cake stand made to order but because of copyright there has to be a few changes made. One thing I will be able to recup the cost when I use it for other brides and decorations have endless possibilities. Unfortunately the Bakery wouldn't sell the stand without my buying the Wedding Cakes. Not sure how they would have been once they got to NZ.
Cupcake, Thanks for that. I will get in touch with the local bakery to see if they have something like Sno-Top Roll.
Thanks to everyone for their interest.

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 6:57pm
post #29 of 42

icon_cry.gif I want the Dariole Moulds but can only find them from the UK. Does anyone know if I can get them in the US? I really love them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%