Full Sheets....

Business By nicksmom Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 2:41am by Cake_Mooma

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:30am
post #1 of 21

I know they tend to be different in size.I make my full sheets 2 side by side cakes each 11x15,but I am still not sure what is a reasonable average price for that size???what are yoou charging for a full sheet cake?

20 replies
CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:12am
post #2 of 21

I use the Magic Line sheet pans because they are so square it makes it a million times easier to make a minimal seam. Anyway, I use 2 12"x16" sheets so I end up with a 16"x24" sheet and I charge $42.50 + tax for a basic decoration.
HTH -Lori

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:28am
post #3 of 21

I make mine the same size as yours. I'm in NJ, too, and I get 75.00-90.00 for a full sheet (with BC filling).

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:28am
post #4 of 21

I use 2 of the magic line 12 x 18 pans for a full sheet and charge $60.00 for it. I have also made a full sheet using the 11 x 15 pans and charged 55.00 for that one - it's not any less hard to decorate it than a full one and there really isn't that much difference in the actual cost of the ingredients.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:34am
post #5 of 21

I make mine the same as yours. No filling. I get $60 for all buttercream decorations. Edible images, colorflow, FBCT, and fondant accents are all extra.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:43am
post #6 of 21

I guess I have been in the right ballpark,I normally charge 70-90 for mine depending if its BC or fondant decor. Celebrationsbylori that is abig cake for an awefully cheap price,is that because of where you live icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 21

I charge $1.50 per 2x2x2 serving, so two 12x18's (18x24) would serve 108 = $162.

See this thread with my numbers for servings:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-302303-feeding.html+80

And for pricing:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-292243-0.html

As I've said many times, they are welcome to cut the cake any size they want ..... my pricing is based on 2x2x2 servings.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 21

I charge $75 for buttercream base 1 layer full sheet and then I add fondant or fondant accents from there. I also add $25 for filling. I am getting ready to raise my prices as of September 1st. Ingredient costs are just too high not to.

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 21

I am more along the lines as indydebi. I charge $100 for my 1/2 sheet so a full sheet runs about $175. That is for standard decoration; the price definitely goes up if the design gets more intricate or they want fondant decorations.

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:36am
post #10 of 21

Yeah, I'm in a very rural area. I live in the biggest city in the county and that's about 25K population if the college is in session! I actually just raised my prices again this year, but I do keep decoration pretty minimal for that price. Any gumpaste or fondant accents or color flow pieces, etc. are extra! -Lori

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 12:47pm
post #11 of 21

I was looking at your website creationsbylori....I went to school in Parsons...lived there for many years! It's such a small world....

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelebrationsbyLori

I use the sheet pans because they are so square it makes it a million times easier to make a minimal seam. Anyway, I use 2 12"x16" sheets so I end up with a 16"x24" sheet and I charge $42.50 + tax for a basic decoration.
HTH -Lori

you are selling yourself way to short. you really should think about raising your prices.
i charge $90.00 and $10.00 extra if they want an image.

indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:14pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelebrationsbyLori

I use the sheet pans because they are so square it makes it a million times easier to make a minimal seam. Anyway, I use 2 12"x16" sheets so I end up with a 16"x24" sheet and I charge $42.50 + tax for a basic decoration.
HTH -Lori

you are selling yourself way to short. you really should think about raising your prices.
i charge $90.00 and $10.00 extra if they want an image.

Agree. 16x24, when cut in standard 2x2 pieces, yields 96 servings. At $42.50, that's less than $0.45 per serving.

My 12x18 takes 3 mixes, so I'm going assume a 12x16 is 3 mixes ....times 2 pans = 6 mixes. I use 7 mixes for a wedding cake that gets me $250.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #14 of 21

I do four 9x13 cakes (my German oven won't hold a 12x1icon_cool.gif and charge $100 for basic buttercream decoration. Hate to charge too much as there aren't a lot of options here, but it' stoo much work to charge any less!

christy5022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christy5022 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:32pm
post #15 of 21

Wow, you guys are a wealth of information. I am getting so much from reading all the post. I can't wait until I can contribute some helpful information..right now I am learning it all icon_redface.gif
After reading this thread I'm not feeling so bad about wanting to charge more for my cakes. I was afraid of asking to much and ended up just asking for enough to cover the ingredents.

christy5022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christy5022 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 21

Sorry Double Post

SugarintheMorning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarintheMorning Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:55pm
post #17 of 21

Christy, I'm in the same boat as you. I feel like I need more experience to charge more, but the ingredients and time really do cost money. Thanks for everyone's input....By the way, where do you get a full sheet box and board? I was looking recently, but ended up making 2 11x15's instead.

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:14am
post #18 of 21

I appreciate the boost, but you've got to remember how regional prices are for this product. I am a storefront and buy in bulk which helps me a bunch in keeping my costs down. However, I could not charge $100 for a full sheet cake, people here would not pay it. I use the general formula for mark up of 3 times my material costs and that's the least I can charge. Of course I would like to be able to raise my prices a bit more, but my market can only go so much. It's funny even the difference of here to Kansas City, prices are almost doubled up there. Any of you in really small towns will understand what I'm saying. Those of you in the city, probably think I'm missing the boat! LOL!
-Lori

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:15am
post #19 of 21

I appreciate the boost, but you've got to remember how regional prices are for this product. I am a storefront and buy in bulk which helps me a bunch in keeping my costs down. However, I could not charge $100 for a full sheet cake, people here would not pay it. Especially when my only major competition is a Wal-Mart Supercenter, and 2 other grocery stores. I use the general formula for mark up of 3 times my material costs and that's the least I can charge. Of course I would like to be able to raise my prices a bit more, but my market can only go so much. It's funny even the difference of here to Kansas City, prices are almost doubled up there. Any of you in really small towns will understand what I'm saying. Those of you in the city, probably think I'm missing the boat! LOL!
-Lori

indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:21am
post #20 of 21

Lori, I can appreciate regional pricing, (I'm envious of what KoryAK sells her cakes for, but then I also realize what her costs are!) but I am astonished that $0.45/serving is the "norm". That's nuts.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:41am
post #21 of 21

I think that it is all about where you live. Not even of what state, it depends on you town/neighborhood. I live about 40 minutes from Boston and I know that if I were closer to Boston I would make 10x's as much because of the money that flows in the area. Now if I were in the next big city I would make less than what I do know and that is less than 30 minutes from where I am.

As for my prices, I do a double 12 x 18 and I start at $70.00 if you add fondant or "extras" the price goes up. In Boston I know that I can get well over $125.00 for that and in Worcester ( the other town) I am lucky if I can get $40.00, and we all know that is less than $.50 a slice and that just doesn't work. Never be afraid to charge what you need to, because in the end you will win, if they want something cheaper that is exactly what they will get a cheap cake, not a quality cake that they can get from you. icon_wink.gif

Vicky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%