Chocolate Modeling Clay Problems

Sugar Work By flamin_gryphin Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 5:33am by JoAnnB

flamin_gryphin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamin_gryphin Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:17am
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone,

I've made 4 DIFFERENT recipes for chocolate modeling clay, and each and every one came out TERRIBLE. Completely unusable. The first batch was almost liquid. I repeated the recipe, making sure I didn't screw up on the directions or anything, and I got the same thing (this is AFTER letting it sit wrapped up and in a ziploc bag.

The 2nd recipe was EXTREMELY greasy, and soft. Like, I tried making something simple, a snowman, and before I'd even made/got the head on, the bottom two circles had formed a disgusting looking blob.

The 3rd recipe was almost the same. The more you touch it, the greasier and softer it gets. Which is bad considering how soft it started out. I let that batch sit for 2 weeks, and it FINALLY got hard. I put it in my hand, and it practically melted. Yuckkk!

So by the time I got to the 4th batch...I was pretty fed up that this one wouldn't work. All the recipes I had said that after letting i sit overnight wrapped up, it would be EXTREMELY hard. Some said to put it in the microwave for 3-7 seconds to soften it up, but all of them said NOT to refrigerate it.

I used different types of chocolate. I tried Wilton Candy melts, the recipe called for them, and hershey's bars. I can't find any other type of chocolate in my area (or online) that doesn't cost under 25 bucks plus shipping. There must be some other thing going wrong or I'm using the wrong type of chocolate. Please help!

Thank you in advance,

1 reply
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:33am
post #2 of 2

Try 16 ounces (one pound) of chocolate chips with 1/2 cup clear corn syrup.

Gently melt the chocolate, stir till smooth. Do not over heat the chips.

Add the corn syrup and stir, just until it is mixed-don't over mix.

pour it out onto parchment, waxed paper or silpat and let it sit several hours or overnight.

It should be firm. You will have to knead it until it is pliable. If it gets too soft while sculpting, put the item in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%