Decorating Books

Decorating By Cady Updated 9 Jul 2005 , 3:53pm by Beebug123

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 12:54am
post #1 of 10

Can anyone give suggestions for decorating books? I took the wilton course 1 but i guess the lady is not doing classes no more. I was thnking about ordering Figure Piping Ideas buy Winbeckler. Does anyone know if this bookand how the instructions are?

Cady

9 replies
irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 1:04am
post #2 of 10

Don't know if you use E-Bay much, but I have purchased several yearbooks at auction that have some great decorating ideas, it's great to look back and see the wonderful cakes and how there decorated. Hop this helps a little.

niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 10

Anything by Collete's Cakes. That woman is amazing.

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 10

the winbeckler book for figure piping is excellent (i think the faces of his people are kinda creepy-looking, but the animals are lovely -- i used to do the alligator a lot and it was always a hit)...it's got excellent instructions and is easy to follow. a co-worker of mine stole my copy a number of years ago (my mistake for leaving it in the workspace we shared, but what a b*tch!)

your local library (and the other libraries in your region which will loan books to your local branch) can be a wonderful and inexpensive (free) resource for decorating books. when i would visit my parents in florida around christmas time, i used to come home from the libraries with my mum (who's a library junkie) every few days with arm-loads of decorating books.

my mum got all my vintage wilton books (when they used to actually have huge recipe and instructional sections) at garage sales in florida.

my stepfather will be auctioning my whole American Cake Decorating Magazine collection on ebay soon; ebay can be great for finding back issues of magazines and out of print books; just be sure to consider the shipping costs in your budget -- you don't want to be spending too much. thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 10

i have collette's books, wilton's books and several that i purchased from ebay and amazon.com. they especially have some really good books to choose from.

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 10

Im not familiar with the book you mentioned, I think a good book is The Whimsical Bakehouse, it is awesome. There is another called Cake decorating for the first time which is pretty useful. Good Luck!

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 10

I agree about the Winbeckler book! I love his cat! How cute! very good instructions in general.

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 3:29am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the info i will defiantly be getting some new reading material soon..
Thanks again
Cady

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 10

I have all sorts of books. I have yearbooks purchased from ebay, Colette Peter's books, Winbeckler's books, and many more. I love to collect cake decorating books. Majority of my books were purchased online through ebay or amazon.com. Just type in cake decorating books or wedding cake books and plenty of items will come up.

Beebug123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beebug123 Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 10

I bought this book to keep as reference
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30B951-475A-BAC0-58A20B9EC79A11BF&fid=088E8274-475A-BAC0-54243B25CD5C4A83

As for idea books, I am just buying ones here and there and have checked out a few from the library as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%