I Am Sooooo Upset!!!!!!

Decorating By gacandle Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 4:30pm by clsilvus

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 44

I was asked to bake a castle cake for my daughter's dance studio's open house. I said okay they had seen a picture of my castle cake and loved it. I have baked for the studio before and they have always loved my cakes, so i go last night to take the cake to the studio to finish putting the cake together. anyone who has made a castle cake knows you have to transport first then put together, i am very proud of my castle cake it has 6 towers and is 100% edible. so anyway i get to the studio to deliver the cake and put it together and the building is 95degress!!!!!!!!!!! I asked what was going on and was told they were trying to save on the electric bill. I could not believe it!!! we are sitting there pouring sweat and i am trying to keep the BC from melting!!! I get the cake together and ask when are they planning on turning on the air? and i was told not until the next morning!!! i told her the cake may melt and she told me that when she comes in the next morning if the cake is melted she will try to save what she can and go ahead and cut it up if it can not be saved she will just go to kroger and buy one no big deal. WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
I WAS SO MAD AND SO UPSET I COULD NOT SAY A WORD I JUST LEFT AND WENT HOME AND CRIED! ALL MY HARD WORK FOR NOTHING AND BUY THE WAY DID I MENTION THAT I DID THIS FOR FREE!!!!!!!!

43 replies
jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 44

I am sorry! I really wish more people would realize how much work goes into making cakes. I am just learning and already frusturated at the people who make comments or just act like it is now big deal that we spend hours working on our art.

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 44

Wow, that was pretty cold. Even if you're not a cake baker, it's got to be obvious that a castle cake would take somee time. At least you got the practice, I know I learn on every cake. Bring a cake to my house and I'll make sure the AC's on for you any day. icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 44

I would have grabbed the cake and politely left...since you weren't being paid for it...Some people are really rude...they don't deserve your cake!!

gacandle Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 44

thanks for the support i had to work this morning so i don't know what shape the cake is in i will be leaving here in a few minutes to go to the open house so i will no then what happened to my cake i will post the results when i see it thanks again.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacandle

I was asked to bake a castle cake for my daughter's dance studio's open house. I said okay they had seen a picture of my castle cake and loved it. I have baked for the studio before and they have always loved my cakes, so i go last night to take the cake to the studio to finish putting the cake together. anyone who has made a castle cake knows you have to transport first then put together, i am very proud of my castle cake it has 6 towers and is 100% edible. so anyway i get to the studio to deliver the cake and put it together and the building is 95degress!!!!!!!!!!! I asked what was going on and was told they were trying to save on the electric bill. I could not believe it!!! we are sitting there pouring sweat and i am trying to keep the BC from melting!!! I get the cake together and ask when are they planning on turning on the air? and i was told not until the next morning!!! i told her the cake may melt and she told me that when she comes in the next morning if the cake is melted she will try to save what she can and go ahead and cut it up if it can not be saved she will just go to kroger and buy one no big deal. WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
I WAS SO MAD AND SO UPSET I COULD NOT SAY A WORD I JUST LEFT AND WENT HOME AND CRIED! ALL MY HARD WORK FOR NOTHING AND BUY THE WAY DID I MENTION THAT I DID THIS FOR FREE!!!!!!!!

That's why you don't do cakes for free if asked. Is she was paying for that cake she would have accommodated you. Better yet, she should have requested that you not bring the cake the day before but the day of the event.

LOL... Anyway, I would have taken the cake to a homeless shelter. She obviously did not appreciate your efforts based on her comment about going to kroger. Let her get a free cake there.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 44

Oh, I do hope that it held together. It is stupid for them to think that they are "saving" anything by not turning on the air. It will take as much electricty to bring the temp down to a good level as it does to maintain it at a good level from the start.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacandle

Sounds like to me that this people don't deserve a free cake at all, they obviously don't care about how hard you worked on this cake. I feel so bad for you and I'm sorry but there is nothing I can say now that will chage what has already happened. I would not give them anymore free cakes,

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 44

I would have walked out with the cake in hand too. That is just plain rude. Sorry.. you don't care about the cake??? Well then you don't get the FREE cake that would have cost you an arm and a leg to purchase AND cost me a LOT of time and money to make. Sheesh.. some people.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 44

Oh how upset I am for you...... I would not have been so polite and left quietly though... on my way out the door, with cake in hand, I would have politely said... stop at Kroger on your way in tomorrow and pick up a free cake there.....
of all the nerve of some people....

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 44

oh that was totally wrong of her...especially since she isnt paying for it...i bet she wont get a castle cake at kroger

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 44

I'm so sorry, that was really thoughtless of them. icon_sad.gif

Some people just don't "get it". Keep baking though...and post some photos of your work. We'd love to peak!! thumbs_up.gif

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 44

i think we should all get together and get some air time on the oprah show. everyone watches oprah (or has friends that do). then we can vent openly about how much work actually goes into cake decorating!... the nerve of people! KROGER?! come on!... i'm so sorry you had to go through that! i agree that you could brush it off as good practice and NEVER give them a freebie again! hang in there!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife1

i think we should all get together and get some air time on the oprah show. everyone watches oprah (or has friends that do). then we can vent openly about how much work actually goes into cake decorating!... the nerve of people! KROGER?! come on!... i'm so sorry you had to go through that! i agree that you could brush it off as good practice and NEVER give them a freebie again! hang in there!

hey good idea someone should write to Oprah and also she should do a show on how much work goes into cake decorating and on how you should tip your waiter!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:19pm
post #15 of 44

Thats so terribly rude and thoughtless of them! I too would have left with the cake... People like this are just inexcusable.. they have no manners or courtesy... I'm so sorry for your experience with them icon_sad.gif I've no doubt that much love ,thought effort went into it...

gacandle Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 44

thank you so much for the support and understanding. I got off work and went to the open house and to my suprise the cake was in great shape!!!! I could not believe it!!!!!!! and by the way it was still very very hot in the building and the guest were complaining about the heat! (surprise surprise) But everyone loved the cake! I even had three people talk to me about making cakes for them. one lady wants to order two of the castle cakes for her twin granddaughter's birthday party!!!!!! so everything worked out great but again thank you so much for the kind comments and the understanding words. I LOVE CAKE CENTRAL!!!!!!!!!!

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:23pm
post #17 of 44

I was so upset for you when I first started reading this post but now I am so happy for you that everything turned out o.k. Some people are just so darn clueless !! I've never made a castle cake (besides the Wilton pan) but i'm sure it is very time consuming. I'm just so happy for you icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:31pm
post #18 of 44

Wow! I was upset at first too! Please don't make a FREE cake for them again!?? I know that castle cakes can be hard and if someone doesn't appreciate them then they don't deserve a free one! Glad to hear that you got some orders out of it though. Sometimes life knocks us down and picks us back up for the same situations! Funny how that is! LOL
Glad to hear you'll be making more! For LOTs O' money hopefully! LOL

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:41pm
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I would have grabbed the cake and politely left...since you weren't being paid for it...Some people are really rude...they don't deserve your cake!!

I was going to say this exactly!

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:04pm
post #20 of 44

i'm so glad it all turned out okay!

post pictures! i'm so curious about what this castle cake looked like. i imagine it was absolutely stunning!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:17pm
post #21 of 44

I'm glad the cake survived.

At the onset of the thread, I was thinking I would've said something to the effect of..."I feel like the cake might not survive the heat. I was unaware that it would be so stifling hot in here. Yeah, you might want to go ahead and get a cake from Kroger".

I am glad you held out and were rewarded for your ability to keep your cool in front of someone else and not show that you got hot under the collar until you were home.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 7:01pm
post #22 of 44

I'd like to know has anybody ever actually seen buttercream icing melt off a cake? I know people are always worried about it under hot/humid conditions; but is the worry justified? I've never seen it; but I never left a cake overnight in 95 degrees or out in the hot sun for several hours either!

CakesByLJ Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 7:24pm
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

I'd like to know has anybody ever actually seen buttercream icing melt off a cake? I know people are always worried about it under hot/humid conditions; but is the worry justified? I've never seen it; but I never left a cake overnight in 95 degrees or out in the hot sun for several hours either!

I have laughed about this many times.... yep, it happens and it was my final exam from baking school...... I had to do a 5 tier decorated wedding cake.. with 2) two tier satellites. It was the centerpiece in the middle of the room for an open house for about 200 people from the University, and guests. I had brandy buttercream and it sat right under a large chandilier. The cake itself was over 6 feet tall; I had to use a step ladder to assemble it.. It sat there for over 2 hours... fine so far.... then as I had to stand and give a speech on how it was done, I heard the "splats" behind me as hunks of buttercream fell off the cake and hit the table... I was horrified..... I maintained composure (surprisingly) and at the end, Chef made light of the situation saying it was his fault for placement of the cake, and the temperature in the room........ We cut and served the cake, which tasted wonderful, and I got an "A" in the class. That was 15 years ago...... lol

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 7:55pm
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

I heard the "splats" behind me as hunks of buttercream fell off the cake and hit the table... I was horrified.....

Oh you poor thing! But by then everybody pretty much had seen it, right? And you got an A! Do you have any pictures?

(I'd have looked around for the "candid camera". LOL)

CakesByLJ Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 8:09pm
post #25 of 44
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

I heard the "splats" behind me as hunks of buttercream fell off the cake and hit the table... I was horrified.....

Oh you poor thing! But by then everybody pretty much had seen it, right? And you got an A! Do you have any pictures?

(I'd have looked around for the "candid camera". LOL)

LOL.. I am sure I do somewhere, but probably couldn't find it.. The picture published in the newspaper was so far away you couldn't see the piles of icing on the table.. for which I was glad. You are right, not only could I hear the "splats", I could hear the gasps coming from the audience as they pointed to the cake... oh how I wanted to hide under that table... haha

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:29pm
post #26 of 44
Quote:

I'd like to know has anybody ever actually seen buttercream icing melt off a cake? I know people are always worried about it under hot/humid conditions; but is the worry justified?

This happened to me 2 years ago. I iced the cake and it was fine. Then I had to transport it so I put the AC on in the car at full blast and I waited until I was sure it was cool. While I was driving I noticed on side seemed to be sliding really really slowly off the cake. By the time I got to my destination the icing was pooling around the base of the cake. Good thing it was only for family and friends.

armywife1 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:38pm
post #27 of 44

i'm so happy the cake survived, jacandle. i still think we should write oprah! icon_wink.gif

armywife1 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:40pm
post #28 of 44

oops.. i mean gacandle!
icon_redface.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:45pm
post #29 of 44

I was heartbroken when I first read your post...then saw your update! I'm so glad all went well and the cake withstood the conditions! Great job!

bakenboi29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenboi29 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:59pm
post #30 of 44

I'm sorry that happened too. icon_sad.gif You're right. People don't know how hard we work on making cakes. I mean to be that insensitive over all that hard work? icon_confused.gif Plus doing that for free? Next time you should charge them for that cake plus extra if risk of melting. They should have had at least a refrigerator to put the cake in until the next morning. Well, we all learn and sometimes for the better. Good luck next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%