My Feelings Are Hurt. What Do You Think Of This?

Decorating By Fairytale Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 9:17pm by CustomCakesBySharon

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 67

I made the orchid birthday cake for my friend's birthday today. The top was a dummy because she refused to cut her cake last year and wanted to keep it. (She kept the top for a month and finally had to throw it out).

They had bought her a simple sheet cake at work, and there was also mine. She kept wanting to cut mine all day. Finally she cut the store bought cake and there was enough for everyone so mine didn't get cut. Since she was having company for dinner I suggested she take the cake home and have it for dessert.

Right before I left work she came up to me and asked me to take the top off and take it home with me. She had some bizarre excuse about not wanting to damage it. Then she wanted to cut the bottom and have me take some home.

What do you think about this? I'm very confused.
LL

66 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 67

the cake is lovely. Your friend is a nut case. icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 67

well....
first --- icon_eek.gif oogedy boogedy -- that is SOME AWESOME cake!!!!!

so smooth

and the details!

and those orchids! ! !

::thunderous applause::

------

who knows, maybe she felt unworthy to keep such a work of art?

she knew how much time and love it took and thought you deserved it?

(after all she did want you and her to share your cake not the store cake)

maybe she didn't realize you had made the top special as a gift to her?

her house is done all in oranges and reds and the green would clash?icon_rolleyes.gif

maybe, gently broach the subject w/ her of how you want her to keep it as a keepsake/gift.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 67

The cake is VERY beautiful, first of all. icon_smile.gif

I think if this woman is a friend you need to ask her what she was thinking. Otherwise you're going to jump to all kind of conclusions and it's going to make you crazy!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 67

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

1. WHAT AN EXCEPTIONAL WORK OF ART!

2. Your friend is obviously a fruitcake....how would she not want to taek this home?! icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 67

Sharing cake with your friends is generally not considered an insult. So I've no idea where you're coming from on this.

Fairytale Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Sharing cake with your friends is generally not considered an insult. So I've no idea where you're coming from on this.

No, I don't feel insulted. I feel hurt that manybe she didn't really like the cake. I think it was her insistance that she didn't want to take it home. Last year you couldn't get the cake away from her. Just a real different attitude like she didn't want it around her. She's been a close friend for over 20 years so I know her pretty well and she's never reacted like this.

Lostinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lostinalaska Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 67

I say just ask her so you know, friends for 20 years you should be able to ask her

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 67

I would just come out and ask her. Your cake was beautiful and maybe there is another explanation behind it. Did she give you anything for yours? Maybe she felt guilty for taking it or for you going through so much trouble? You will never know unless you ask. I know in my family, even if the cake is to die for they just consider it good manners to ask people to take some home. Even if your the baker. My mom will give me back gifts that I by her for her birthday or something a year later if she doesnt use it. Its just their ways. So just ask. Cant hurt!
And the Orchids were so realistic. Really gorgeous cake!

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:02am
post #10 of 67

I think your cake is amazing! I agree that maybe you should ask her about it. In the mean time... enjoy that portion that she gave back to you! icon_wink.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:14am
post #11 of 67

The cake is gorgeous! I had already put it in my favourites. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I made a cake for friends of my mother in their late 70's. They were getting married for the first time. They sent me back the fondant roses. The woman said they were too pretty to eat and I should use them again. I think it was just her generation and "waste not, want not".

The cake is beautiful and the colours are really pretty.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:31am
post #12 of 67

My interpretation of this, as written, is that the cake is gorgeous and you can probably use those orchids again.

As far as the taste of the cake, the way you tell it, it sounds like she didn't even taste the cake before offering to share. Sounds to me like she was just being a good friend and wanting to share her cake with you rather than waste it. An entire 10" square cake (even if it was 8") is a LOT of cake to take home unless you're housing an army. What a waste of what she was probably sure was a fantastic cake.

And BTW - the cake is GORGEOUS!!! I wish I could make orchids like that!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:32am
post #13 of 67

That would have bothered me too!! Its a beautiful cake and obviously took A LOT of time- you did a great job. It wouldn't have been so bad if you had seen her taking the entire beautiful cake home to have that night with company. But all company got to see was a half eaten bottom part of the cake-- boooo.

Oh well... I think since she's a repeat offender now, of not wanting to cut the cake- I would keep it verrrrry simple for next year!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:33am
post #14 of 67

The cake is gorgeous.

If you're good enough friends, ask her why. If you're just aquaintences and don't really care, forget it and don't ever bake her another cake.

Good Luck!

Fairytale Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:44am
post #15 of 67

Thank you all for your comments. I feel a little better. I think she really did like it but I told her the only reason I made a dummy top is so that she could keep it. However, maybe she just felt that she has no place for it. I think I'll just ask her tomorrow. Here is the cake I made for her last year. (Next year she's gettin' a sheet cake.LOL)
LL

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:53am
post #16 of 67

Did she even tell you that it was beautiful???? Hmmm....now I could see if she said.."wow"! This cake is soooo pretty, please take some home w/you"! But, I am guessing that she didn't say that..so, I just think if someone is your friend for 20 yrs, they should still at least be polite and take it home and say it is beautiful! And...THANK YOU!!!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:54am
post #17 of 67

Kick her in the head.

By the way I love your cake.

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:57am
post #18 of 67

Stunning cakes-both of them! Maybe your friend is feeling bad that your cake wasn't served at the work party and just didn't want all your efforts to go to waste. I really don't think she was trying to be insulting, but talk with her to really find out where her head is at.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:59am
post #19 of 67

Your cakes and cookies are hot!! love them. YOu are fantastic with cake decorating, and cookies. I have no idea what the deal is. but i agree, after 20 years i would think you'd be comfortable enough to ask her why. Maybe she's feeling bad about keeping the beautiful cake after all the work you've put into. Or knowing it's a dummy maybe she thought you can use it as display. dunno.

Fairytale Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:59am
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellejoey

Did she even tell you that it was beautiful???? Hmmm....now I could see if she said.."wow"! This cake is soooo pretty, please take some home w/you"! But, I am guessing that she didn't say that..so, I just think if someone is your friend for 20 yrs, they should still at least be polite and take it home and say it is beautiful! And...THANK YOU!!!

Wow, she never did say Thank you. I didn't realize it until now.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:03am
post #21 of 67

I think you friend did not like the cake and did not know how to tell you. (thats not a friend at all)

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:07am
post #22 of 67

I looked at your beautiful pictures and see that you have many different styles. Maybe the previous cake was just more "her." Your orchids are beautiful, though orchids are very non traditional. Maybe not her bag of chips. Maybe she's scared that since it's not going to go bad, you might expect to see it on display in her home every time you go there, or that something might happen to it (like my cats dumping my box containing a gumpaste jewelry box from OK Sugar arts show off a shelf and completely destroying it.)

Maybe she likes it to last a while, just not indefinitely. I wouldn't take offense. She didn't let the masses hack it up into pieces. Maybe it doesn't match what's already in her china cabinet and she doesn't know where else to put it.

She must be a good friend for you to be so thoughtful when you made her cake, I'm sure she didn't mean to offend you.

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:07am
post #23 of 67

I understand where you are coming from--and you did an awesome job on this cake. It is beautiful, and I know that it took a lot of time.

I know that this is a stretch, but maybe she felt that she did something wrong last year by not cutting the cake. when you made the top a dummy, maybe she thought you were trying to tell her something????? I don't know--it is a big stretch. I just cannot figure it out.

My b'day is in Feb--feel free to send me a cake!!!

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:13am
post #24 of 67

Maybe she doesn't feel worthy. It's a gorgeous cake, so it can't be that!

Happy Day,
Steph

Fairytale Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:17am
post #25 of 67

[quote="leta"]. . . or that something might happen to it (like my cats dumping my box containing a gumpaste jewelry box from OK Sugar arts show off a shelf and completely destroying it.) quote]

OMG!!! icon_eek.gif I would have been crying. One of my dogs ate the front off a Tinkerbell cake about 10 minutes before I was supose to deliver it. icon_lol.gif

colleenski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenski Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:19am
post #26 of 67

I LOVE YOUR CAKES!!!! I'll be curious to see what she says... please let us know

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:28am
post #27 of 67

You will just need to ask her if you are going to find out the real reason. We can all speculate. Let us know her answer.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:33am
post #28 of 67

I would just ask her if everything was ok.... maybe it was a milestone birthday and she hates the fact she's getting older??? My best friend always tells me if something is wrong with my cakes even if she knows it'll hurt my feelings lol... but she breaks it gently. That's why were are so close... Friends tell each other the truth about things they don't hide things or try to cover things up... maybe you should tell her you were wondering if something was wrong because she acted as though she didn't want it....

Fairytale Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:34am
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveweddings

You will just need to ask her if you are going to find out the real reason. We can all speculate. Let us know her answer.

Yea, I've had a million thoughts trying to figure this out. I wouldn't mind if she didn't like it because I really didn't like it very much either. It was just very clear that she didn't want to take it home. I'm sure she appreciate it though. We'll see what she says tomorrow.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:35am
post #30 of 67

[quote="Fairytale"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by leta

. . . or that something might happen to it (like my cats dumping my box containing a gumpaste jewelry box from OK Sugar arts show off a shelf and completely destroying it.) quote]

OMG!!! icon_eek.gif I would have been crying. One of my dogs ate the front off a Tinkerbell cake about 10 minutes before I was supose to deliver it. icon_lol.gif

I think "dog eats Tinkerbell" is much worse! My box was just being kept after the show. It helped me come to terms with the "fragility of life." People ask me if it tears me up when they slice a pretty cake up into a million pieces. It doesn't. I take a picture and have satisfaction knowing they will enjoy eating it just as much as looking at it.

That is: PEOPLE enjoy eating it----heaven forbid a DOG!! You must have died a thousand deaths!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%