Omg, I Am Going To Pass Out.....

Business By CakeDiva73 Updated 25 Oct 2006 , 3:16am by mkolmar

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:17pm
post #31 of 88

It sounds wonderful! Please continue to keep us updated as things progress! We all learn so much from eachothers' experiences.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:25pm
post #32 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vww104

CakeDiva..I just want to say that when I read your post I almost cried. Because of your honesty with your various posts I know that you have struggled and been thru a lot. What an amazing blessing and I'm so very happy for you. I'm sure this is just the beginning of many more blessings for you and your family. And what a wonderful time for all of this to happen, holiday baking time! I wish you all the best and please let us know how it all turns out.....if we don't get as many posts from you I will just assume that it's because you are too busy!!!!

Thank you. You are so nice icon_smile.gif

I guess I think we are all flawed, in one way or another and spent most of my life feeling like I was the only one that was 'broken' inside. Self hate can kill you... now I try to look at all my mistakes and regrets and bad decisions as learning experiences. ( Lord knows I have had enough of them. I must be brilliant by now! icon_lol.gif )

So often it just takes one person to 'fess up and then other people feel more comfortable opening up because they know they won't be judged. And unfortunately, I think a lot of people may judge me badly but I just don't care.

My house is a mess, the front yard needs to be mowed, I drove the kids to school this a.m. in my jammies icon_lol.gif and sometimes, I squirt the toothpaste directly in my mouth instead of putting it on the toothbrush like normal people. icon_surprised.gif So basically, I'm a bit of a nut.

And I used to stay awake at night because I felt so guilty about my kids and always making sure I never did the "dreaded" stuff my parents did so my kids wouldn't hate me LOL!!! and then I realized that they would just blame me for a bunch of other stuff that I never even realized I was doing!!! After I had that little epiphany, I started to relax. And then I started baking cakes and Oy! icon_smile.gif

Still haven't heard back from 'Cafe Man' yet and he is closed today, so I am wondering if he felt like checking with the silent owner was a simple formality and doesn't realize I am waiting on baited breathe? icon_cry.gif

Thanks again for all your support and kind words. icon_smile.gif

kris2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris2005 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 8:00pm
post #33 of 88

Congrats!!! on your opporunity.I really hope that this situation works out in your favor icon_smile.gif

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 8:12pm
post #34 of 88

I'm so happy for you Thats great!!

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 6:36pm
post #35 of 88

icon_surprised.gif He has never called back........ I have been on pins and needles all weekend. icon_sad.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 6:48pm
post #36 of 88

He probably thinks it's not good form to call over the weekend. I bet he'll call tomorrow icon_smile.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 7:09pm
post #37 of 88

I'm sure you'll get a call sometime on Monday.
If not, then feel free to call him.
Good luck, we're all cheering for you!!

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 7:38pm
post #38 of 88

ok...thanks. I was so excited and then this little bit of doubt crept in and I just couldn't go 100% with all those plans in my head icon_lol.gif because I know it was going to be such a blow and totally possible that the silent partner had a voice after all and maybe wasn't crazy about the idea. icon_cry.gif

My gut tells me it could be the perfect situation but until I get the go ahead, I am just leary of being disappointed. I hope you are all right and he just got caught up with his life and stuff....I know it is the weekend and in the business world, you don't get instant answers........dangitt! icon_mad.gif

Thanks again....you guys are great. icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 8:02pm
post #39 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

My house is a mess, the front yard needs to be mowed, I drove the kids to school this a.m. in my jammies icon_lol.gif and sometimes, I squirt the toothpaste directly in my mouth instead of putting it on the toothbrush like normal people. icon_surprised.gif So basically, I'm a bit of a nut.

And I used to stay awake at night because I felt so guilty about my kids and always making sure I never did the "dreaded" stuff my parents did so my kids wouldn't hate me LOL!!! and then I realized that they would just blame me for a bunch of other stuff that I never even realized I was doing!!! After I had that little epiphany, I started to relax. And then I started baking cakes and Oy! icon_smile.gif

reminds me of a story I heard once of two neighbors.

The "Smiths" had a perfect house, with a perfect lawn and prefect flowers, etc.

The "Joneses" had a yard of mud and trails and bikes and trikes and balls and toys.

The "Smiths" spent most of their "free" time working to make it all look perfect.

The "Joneses" spent most of their free time packing the kids off to some new adventure somewhere or to the game or the recital or school play or....

The "Smiths" had a beautiful car only a few years old and ready to be traded in, polished to perfection and not a crumb under the seat.

The "Joneses" had an older car, dull finish...washed? isn't that what rain does (after all every time they tried to wash it, it became a family soapsuds free-for-all!) -- polished -- who's got the time? and it was full of all the "stuff" of life, of kids, of fun (and a few things for Rover too)

The "Smiths" held elegant invite parties for selected guests.

The "Joneses" held forth over an ever revolving set of friends and youngin's stopping by or just stayin' over for supper (lots of phone calls by children's friends "Mom, can I eat at the Joneses tonight?")

The "Smiths' " children only did formal play better known as "lessons" and "teams".

The "Joneses' " children were on teams too, including pick up teams playing ball in the yard, in the driveway --- in fact it almost seemed all the neighborhood children could be found at the Joneses (Hello, Ms Jones is .....there??) or riding w/ the Joneses to and from some practice, event etc. (aka Jones' taxi service! -- your kid or mine -- we haul 'em)

HERES TO KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES!!!!!

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 8:14pm
post #40 of 88

Doug....that about made me cry.

Thank you.....thank you very much. It is nice to hear it put in that context. Our house is trashed icon_razz.gif and we always have a bunch of kids over....hee hee. And how did you know what was in my van? icon_smile.gif

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 8:38pm
post #41 of 88

I'm so excited for you Cake Diva and I'm nervous for you too. I would be sick to my stomach waiting on an answer but I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and either way it will be what is best for you. Good luck to you and I will be waiting anxiously for your next post telling us that you got great news.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 9:03pm
post #42 of 88

Give him a deadline to get in touch with you for example by noon on Mon 10/2, if you don't hear anything, CALL HIM!!

Go for it!!!! Good luck!!!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 9:03pm
post #43 of 88

CakeDiva,

I wanted you to know that I have kept keeping up with this post since you started it.

I am amazed at your dream to aspire this baking. It has lead me to make a lond term goal (which I dont icon_twisted.gif do) to be working in or own bakery with in 2 years working or 5 years owning. I am researching it right now.

Thank you for your insperation icon_wink.gif This forum has continuted to give me chills, good chills. icon_smile.gif

The best of luck to you thumbs_up.gif You deserve it icon_wink.gif

Keep us posted.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:37am
post #44 of 88

cake diva I'm praying for you that you get your call soon! Congratulations on the opportunity, being such a help on CC and a great mom to all those kids! Good luck in your new adventure, I'm sure you will get a call soon!

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:56am
post #45 of 88

I was in this same situation with my kitchen arrangement. We had first worked out a hour for hour swap of time. For every hour I worked on my cakes I would give her an hour to make her cookies or what not{using her ingredients}. But it got to the point where she was wanting me to work for her when I had no orders of my own. So we came up with the idea that she would pay me for my goods that I make for her{using my ingredients} and I would give her a percentage of that to cover the rental cost. If I make a cake for someone else I do the same thing{give her a percentage to cover the "rent"}. That way if I have no orders I pay no rent. This has been the best set up for us, thus far. This may work in your situation as well. He would be contracting you out for his baked goods and you would just pay him a percentage to cover the rental costs. That way you could still have time to do your cakes on the side and not have a set time to be there etc. I hope this makes some kind of sense.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 4:01am
post #46 of 88

CakeDiva, I wish you all the luck in the world and I don't want to sound pessimistic but I want to tell you that no matter what, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Never assume because he is a pastor and seems like a good guy, that things will work out perfectly. If he is any kind of a businessman, he will want a contract also.

I can't understand him saying a couple of pies a week. How small is this business? I had a small "mom and pop" type cafe and we went through 3 or 4 pies just during lunch hour sometimes.

Good luck and call him tomorrow if he hasn't called you.

Diane

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 4:08am
post #47 of 88

CAUTION: This post has Christian sentiments, do not read if you do not want to hear that point of view.

CakeDiva: You said this owner is a pastor, right? So, he may have been writing his sermon saturday and busy with church stuff today. (My mom is a priest, so I know when I can't have a conversation with her about secular stuff). Maybe they had a youth group meeting or event or something.

Sunday is normally a time we reserve for family and down time. He'll call you tomorrow, when the "normal work week" as opposed to the "priest work week" begins. Don't sweat it.

I know your world is revolving around this right now, and I don't blame you.....it is so hard to wait, but you must be patient (talking from experience, I blew a new job offer by pestering the HR folks icon_sad.gif).

Sometimes, other people have things that are more important to them, and they go on their own agenda. AND, if it took them 6 months of talking about needing to hire a baker before they interviewed one, how long may it take them to decide once they have interviewed? I don't think it has anything to do about you, rather their expense and taking steps.

Please don't make yourself sick.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

It is out of your hands....you did your best. Let go and let God.

(sorry to get preachy, I did say my mom is a priest, right?? well, you grow up in a family with firefighters, chances are you want to fight fires; grow up with hunters, chances are you hunt too...well icon_redface.gif I grew up with priests all around me. Need I say more? icon_redface.gif)

Good Luck to you. It will work out for the best. I have faith.

LukeRubyJoy Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:32am
post #48 of 88

Okay, So, what happened today?

CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:03pm
post #49 of 88

Well, it looks like the jury is still out....

All of Monday went by and I hadn't heard anything. So today I decided I was going to stop by....he was right there taking a customers order when I walked in and he finished up and came over so I asked him if he had a chance to speak with his partner and he said that she was really busy last week and that she would probably be contacting me this week, maybe Thursday to set up a time to meet.... and then said he had my card.

Granted, I am a nervous nelly and am probably going to overanalyze everything so I am not sure if he was reassuring me that they have my number and will be in contact or what. He looked a littly 'hedgy' as he was talking to me. Can't tell if maybe the partner said heck no or had no intentions of being as generous as he may have been.

It's probably that she doesn't know me, has never met me and neither does the other guy and maybe since she is a woman, thinks I came in all charming... you know how some girls will bat their eyelashes and the men swoon icon_confused.gif (obviously I didn't do that) but maybe she thinks that's what I did and she wants me to give her the hard-sell.

The nausea continues..... icon_cry.gif

I am a bit disappointed that they didn't bother to call me and let me know the status but I guess that's life.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:09pm
post #50 of 88

Oh. I hate that for you! Sometimes things that mean so much to us don't mean as much to the others were counting on. We are sitting at home by the phone and they are just going about daily business. It drives me crazy some times. Try not to get down. Things have a way of working out for the best!

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 6:08pm
post #51 of 88

Hang in there...........

Diane

CakeDiva73 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:57pm
post #52 of 88

"Bueller.......Bueller........Bueller............"

Still no answer icon_lol.gif

LukeRubyJoy Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:28am
post #53 of 88

ECHO............?

I hope for your sake that everything is still just fine. And because things are still status quo at the store, maybe she doesn't feel the need to rush...."it isn't broken, so to speak, so why fix it"?

I know your just being honest, but try not to come across as too desperate. I know you are not trying to be....I know this is going to sound hard, but I would give her until next week. He said she may call Thursday....something may have come up with her family or something. And then, well, she wouldn't be remembering to call you, ya know?

Don't read anything into anything....just wait it out (I know that sucks). Just try. I know you can do it!!!! Think of all the other AWESOME things in your life that you had to wait for!

"there's always pain before the child is born"...Bono

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:42am
post #54 of 88

I've never done this but I would imagine it would be neater/easier for both of you, especially come tax season, if you keep the working for him and the kitchen rental separate. What I'm saying is negotiate two different rates, one for providing a service to him and one for rental of the kitchen. Then he can pay you for your services and you can pay him for his. Whatever you choose, make sure to get the agreement in writing. Congrats!

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:48pm
post #55 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeRubyJoy

I know your just being honest, but try not to come across as too desperate. I know you are not trying to be....I know this is going to sound hard, but I would give her until next week. He said she may call Thursday....something may have come up with her family or something. And then, well, she wouldn't be remembering to call you, ya know?

I agree....I was thinking today about it and I thought, maybe they ARE seeing me as a bit desperate rather then a viable business opportunity...either for them or some other locale in town. So I will not be contacting them. We had the sit down a week ago and then I checked in on Tues. and he said he thought she would call for a meeting by Thurs. (today) and they are closed Friday so I am sue I won't hear anything. I am going to move on (mentally) and go forward with my holiday flyers.

If next week comes and goes, I am going to find another business to try and work with. Sitting around feeling sorry for myself is not going to solve my problem and darnnit, I am good! I am not going to feel like some desperate hat-in-hand person asking for a handout. I have a great product and am willing to work by butt of for the success of both my business and theirs and if that is not good enough for them, then I need to find a location where it is. icon_smile.gif

( Can you tell I read a self-help book last night? icon_lol.gif )

Ok, I'm kidding but I do agree that desperation at this point is no good so I shall take it easy....thanks again everyone!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:54pm
post #56 of 88

I love that additude. I am so proud of you thumbs_up.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:00pm
post #57 of 88

Sending you positive thoughts- (and sending the business a little kick in the pants!)

lionladydi Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:09pm
post #58 of 88

I would be looking into other options. Who knows? You might find a much better deal out there. Then you would have a little leverage with this guy.

Good luck and keep up the positive attitude.

Diane

LukeRubyJoy Posted 6 Oct 2006 , 3:57am
post #59 of 88

Oh Diva, I'm happy you aren't TOO stressed over it. I know, I know....I could be living your life in emotions right with you.

Oftentimes the first isn't the best. (evidence: My first cake!! icon_smile.gif )

It is good that you may have other opportunities. Too bad you don't live here....my kitchen is tiny, and I could go 1/2s with you on a REAL one. My stuff is stashed all over the house. Some pans under the computer table, my colors and tools on top of the freezer, my turntable in the laundry room! What a PITA!!

I agree that your work is awesome, and the right working relationship (like the right man) is bound to come along!

PS: I found mine, too bad he's married and FAMOUS!! hehehehehe My hubby will have to do for now! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 9:16pm
post #60 of 88

OK....well tomorrow will be a week since I dropped by to check in and he told me his partner wanted to meet me and should call on Thursday ( that would be LAST Thursday)

So the question is, do I pick up my pride and move on with no further contact or do what my friend suggests, which is: Go in on Wednesday a.m. with a small box of samples of the cinnabon, scones, cookies and maybe a mini-pie along with my holiday flyer and tell him that I hadn't heard back but wanted to give him some samples. She also said to politely but firmly say "Here is my business card again, I know you said your partner was very busy last week so I am going to assume if I don't hear from you by Friday then you are not interested in what we talked about but I really wanted to thank you for your time and for meeting with me.'

I am torn between not wanting to give up and not wanting to seem desperate as well as not wanting to sound like a snot - Oy!

I know I can count on you guys to tell me what I should do and be honest.....tear that speach up and tell me what I should say or what I may have said that could be construed as rude or unprofessional or whatever.

Again, I am so appreciative of all the advice you all take the time to give me.....thank you icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%