Omg, I Am Going To Pass Out.....

Business By CakeDiva73 Updated 25 Oct 2006 , 3:16am by mkolmar

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:35pm
post #61 of 88

My guess is that he is trying to give you the brush off so I would make those samples and give him that speech. It sounds great. If nothing else you will make him feel a little guilty for not having the decency to contact you. Even if the answer is no, he should call and tell you. That's JMO.

Diane

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Oct 2006 , 11:51pm
post #62 of 88

I think the basket of samples is a great idea. However, I don't like the idea of saying that he has til Friday to decide. It seems like an ultimatum, and in my opinion, a little desperate and unprofessional. Give him the goodie basket. Tell him (enthusiastically) that you'd still love to work together. If he doesn't get back to you by the end of the week, move on. By leaving things very positive with him, you never know what could happen. He could call next week. Or in a month. Or maybe his business partner won't be ready until Christmas time! And when/if they do call, if you've found something even better, then you can feel good about telling him that you wish he'd called sooner. And if you haven't found something by then, then you still have a possible business deal.

This is purely my opinion. I know you'll do whatever is best for you. icon_smile.gif Hang in there! *HUGS*

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:02am
post #63 of 88

I think kelleym's advice is great....I felt that the "if I haven't heard anything by Friday" thing did sound a little like an ultimatum and a little snotty (although I do totally understand the need to have a definite answer).

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

lionladydi Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 12:43am
post #64 of 88

I would at least ask him very nicely to let me know one way or the other. I didn't think it sounded snotty. You are talking business, not asking him out on a date. It would be nice to know whether you have a chance or will sit around with this hanging over you. Even if you persue other options, you will always think that he might call you.

What about your original question to your pastor about using the church? Did he ever give you an answer about that?

Hang in there. You'll get it all figured out in time.

Diane

Lillybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillybelle Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 1:07am
post #65 of 88

Maybe instead of telling him he has until Friday, you should let him know that if you haven't heard back from him by Friday that you will continue looking elsewhere.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:30am
post #66 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillybelle

Maybe instead of telling him he has until Friday, you should let him know that if you haven't heard back from him by Friday that you will continue looking elsewhere.

I agree. Let him know you are intersted but you've gotta do what is going to pay the bills.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 2:36am
post #67 of 88

ditto, to the above!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Oct 2006 , 5:54pm
post #68 of 88

Well, my friend was the one who kept saying 'If I don't hear from you by the end of business Wednesday' or whatever....it's not me. It sounds way too high handed. I am such a down to earth person and I really don't like playing games.

I want to go in with some samples and my flyer and just say hey, when we talked, it sounded like you were really interested and I haven't heard anything. If you have changed your mind or something else has come up, then just let me know. I would rather know it is not going to work out then to just keep waiting.

I don't like playing games or hard sell....the truth is, if they pass, I will move on and try to find another business to let me use their kitchen. I will not give up. I can't tell if he is flaky or merely busy or if the partner said no way and he just can't say no or what....he knows this is prime baking time since he was the one who said to get going on the flyers.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice. My gut told me the whole ultimatum thing wasn't good but my friend has her own business and was trying to be firm or whatever.....you have to do what works and feels right for you and that didn't feel right for me so.....

I have company all this week so I am already going to be so busy but I just need to know what's going on so I can move on...... Oy! Wish me luck and thanks!

mkolmar Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 1:22am
post #69 of 88

good luck girl! If one door closes another one will open and if one don't open that's when you find a window! I hope you get an answer soon.

lionladydi Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 3:25pm
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

good luck girl! If one door closes another one will open and if one don't open that's when you find a window! I hope you get an answer soon.

I'll say "DITTO" to that. If it doesn't happen then God didn't mean for it to be. You seem determined so I know you will make something happen.

Diane

xswizit1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xswizit1 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 9:32pm
post #71 of 88

If it's not too late to give my opinion...

You could offer to "sell" them some samples, so they could offer them to their customers and see what kind of demand they would get, if the partner is leary.

I hope it all works out!

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 5:53pm
post #72 of 88

CakeDiva - have you heard back from this pastor yet. I'm really curious how things have gone. Let us know when you hear something!!!

CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 7:06pm
post #73 of 88

Nope, not a thing. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks from the date I 'checked in' and he told me his partner would be calling.....Thursday would be 3 weeks from the original meeting we had...... it really, really sucks.

To think of how much I got my hopes up.... I wish he hadn't have been so positive but maybe the partner is not interested. I had company all last week but I didn't know if I should drop off a tray of samples with my fall flyer.....I don't want to be but sheesh! 2 weeks with no contact - I also don't want to miss out because I didn't follow up... icon_confused.gif I guess I am afraid I will get rejected when I walk in but big deal, at least I would know, right?

clsilvus Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 8:06pm
post #74 of 88

That sucks!!! I would stop in with the samples and flyers that way you could find out if you should move on or what?!?!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 8:18pm
post #75 of 88

[quote="Narie"] If you don't it will be such a mess, both of you will dealing with the IRA and Social Security.

I needed a laugh and this was just so funny, makes me feel good that I am not the only one that does things like this. LOL Please don't get offended, I was having a lousey day and this just cheered me up. This and thistles Sien Fien remark.

Sorry I can't give advice just hope it all works out for you, lighting a candle for you and sending good vibes your way and thinking chocolate thoughts for you!

kelleym Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 8:33pm
post #76 of 88

It does suck when he hasn't been considerate enough to follow through on something that was so important to you.

I would take that sample basket to him, and ask him point blank (but friendly!) "Are you still interested in working together?" Make him give you an answer...any answer. And if it's "not right now", then thank him and you can move on.

I know all this waiting's been hard on you!

CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:46pm
post #77 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

I would take that sample basket to him, and ask him point blank (but friendly!) "Are you still interested in working together?" Make him give you an answer...any answer. And if it's "not right now", then thank him and you can move on.

I like that....I have been trying to come up with a friendly but firm way of asking without looking like a beggar but not a nag either. I personally think a 2 week wait is insane and I have always believed things happen for a reason so perhaps this tiny bit of tense waiting will end up saving me from a nightmare in the future...... At this point, I am discouraged. I know I need to keep my head up. I will probably just do flyers and hold off pursuing space rental at this point with the holidays coming up, it might make better sense to wait until after the first of the year and give me time to get situated here and do a bit more practice.

I don't have any kind of a business plan and each day seems more chaotic then the first (4 kids party.gif , sneaking food-stealing dog icon_evil.gif , pet tarantula that freaks us all out icon_eek.gif and, of course, the ex-husband!! tapedshut.gif )

I am trying real hard to figure out which one is worse..... icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I will drop off a tray and flyers on Wednesday and post my results.... thanks again for all your support and kind words of encouragement! icon_smile.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 3:30am
post #78 of 88

I don't know if you're interested in this option, but you could also go in and say,"hey if you're not ready to hire a baker I would still be interested in renting your kitchen."

You never know what's going on in their minds until you ask. Maybe they want a baker, but they're also worried about the logistics of it.

lionladydi Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 11:32am
post #79 of 88

CakeDiva73, you will find out in time that the dog and the pet tarantula are just minor problems. It's the ex you will find to be the biggest problem. icon_lol.gif

I'm not sure I would want to work for someone who would leave me dangling like this for 3 weeks. On the other hand, he may think you aren't all that interested as you haven't checked back. I would definitely try kellym's suggestion.

Good luck, not only with the business adventure, but with the children, dog, tarantula, and ex husband.

Diane icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:02pm
post #80 of 88

Well, at least now I know.... I called and he called back and said it wouldn't work out because of the WC issues and the landlord. They said insurance wise (even though I told them I was prepared to pay for the increase, etc) I wouldn't be covered if I slipped and fell. He said they asked their lawyer and if they just did it, they could be caught, etc.

And he said they rent the space from the landlord to run their business and can't run an additional one. Of course, I am sick to my stomach and want to cry. I will never get my hopes up like that again. Ever. I don't think he ever planned on calling back.

I had expected alot of scenarios as to why it wouldn't work out but this wasn't one of them. Thanks for all your support.

kelleym Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:05pm
post #81 of 88

I'm SO sorry to hear this news icon_sad.gif I know you're feeling crushed right now. But remember...God closes a door and opens a window. This is not the end, there will be something even better further down the road. But for right now I'm sending you comfort and hugs *HUG*

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:34pm
post #82 of 88

Oh, so sorry to hear that! That really sucks!! *hugs*

MARCIAL66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARCIAL66 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 6:53pm
post #83 of 88

Well, at least now I know.... I called and he called back and said it wouldn't work out because of the WC issues and the landlord. They said insurance wise (even though I told them I was prepared to pay for the increase, etc) I wouldn't be covered if I slipped and fell. He said they asked their lawyer and if they just did it, they could be caught, etc.

And he said they rent the space from the landlord to run their business and can't run an additional one. Of course, I am sick to my stomach and want to cry. I will never get my hopes up like that again. Ever. I don't think he ever planned on calling back.

I had expected alot of scenarios as to why it wouldn't work out but this wasn't one of them. Thanks for all your support.

CakeDiva73, all this past events are for you to see it as an experience to get to live your dream, I now how you feel because a had a very bad situation in live and the only medicine for my sick soul was baking, after all that I got better inside and then I was 3 days far from the house of my dreams with a wonderlful viking kitchen and ohhhhh my DH got into and accident and everything was on my showlders, bills, medical expences etc, and goodbye to that house, life is not easy but remember that God has a purpose with you. God bless you !!! [/b]

lionladydi Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:58pm
post #84 of 88

CakeDiva73, you deserved better than that. I agree with you. I doubt he intended to ever call you about it. That is a chicken manure way to handle business.

Another idea and another opportunity will come your way when you least expect it. (Gosh! That's sounds like something out of a fortune cookie!)

So sorry for your disappointment. Many hugs your way and good luck in getting your business going.

Diane

clsilvus Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:07pm
post #85 of 88

I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out. Everything happens for a reason though. There will definitely be a better opportunity for you.

CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:40pm
post #86 of 88

Thanks again... I was completely depressed for a day or two and now I am just trying to see the good behind it. Whenever things don't work out for other people, I always say it happened for a reason so I guess I better start listening to myself, right? icon_lol.gif

I put it in God's hands and I have faith. 'Nuf said. icon_smile.gif

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:07am
post #87 of 88

I've been following this post from the beginning. I'm proud of you cakediva for having the courage to investigate the "possiblitites" and for continuing on when things don't go as hoped.

Hope something today makes you smile!

mkolmar Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:16am
post #88 of 88

Cakediva, it may not have went the way you want but I bet God has bigger and better plans for you down the road, that if this opportunity with these semi-rude people were to happen then the bigger opportunity wouldn't ever come about. Good luck and keep up the positive attitude.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%