Do You Have A Favorite Cookbook?

Decorating By paxpuella Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 3:48am by Katie-Bug

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:58am
post #1 of 39

I love looking at new cookbooks and recipes and would like to buy some online, but am having a hard time deciding which ones to buy. Do you have some absolute favorites you will never, ever give up? If so, do you mind to share them with me?

I really like the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks and have starting getting some of those.

icon_smile.gif

38 replies
Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #2 of 39

I would never give up my Pastry Queen cookbook from the Rather Sweet Bakery. Every recipe I've tried from it is delicious. You should definitely try it.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:15am
post #3 of 39

I like the Whimsical Bakehouse book, every recipe so far has been a hit.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:24am
post #4 of 39

How To Cook Everything - Mark Bittman
How To Bake - Nick Malgieri
The Whimsical Bakehouse Cookbook - Kaye and Liv Hansen
Pie - Ken Haedrich
The Frugal Gourmet - Jeff Smith
I'm Just Here For the Food - Alton Brown
Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics - Paula Deen
Eat This Book - Tyler Florence (although I admit I like the photos as much as the recipes...hubba hubba! icon_lol.gif )

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:34am
post #5 of 39

Thank you so much for replying !!! It is so nice to actually hear people say they like certain books instead of wasting money on something that will sit on the shelf and never be looked at.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:48am
post #6 of 39

My favorite baking cookbook (is that called a bakebook? icon_lol.gif): The Whimsical Bakehouse Cookbook thumbs_up.gif

My favorite cookbook: Joy of Cooking thumbs_up.gif

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:04am
post #7 of 39

FYI-i've cooked two recipes from Rather Sweet Bakery-delicious! didn't know there was a book.

i personally do not like cookbooks.....i end up using only 2 or 3 recipes per book and it seems like a waste of space (that's just me, i'm weird like that!) so the very few cookbooks i have are precious....and i've cooked through them all-cover to cover.

Alton Brown's -I'm Just Here for MORE food (sequel to I'm just here for the food), this one is all about BAKING!!!

Buttercup Bake Shop Bakes at Home, and The Buttercup Bake Shop Cookbook.

i'm considering The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook....

i also keep the Joy of cooking on the shelf, because it literally has every recipe i could ever want....but i'm more of a baker, not a cook....so i don't use it often. i guess i just think of it as a reference book.

sally

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:28am
post #8 of 39

any of Paula Deen's books, there is not very many cake recipes . . . but if you like to cook, you won't find better recipes anywhere!

pieceofcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake1 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 9:26am
post #9 of 39

Best of Better Baking.com by Marcy Goldman. I have the Magnolia and Buttercup cookbooks and have been disappointed with the product outcome.I love www.allrecipes.com,not a book per say but the ratings/reviews are so helpful I consider it my online resource. I will have to get Rather Sweet, sounds like a good book.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:29pm
post #10 of 39

I don't use cookbooks that much. I did when I was getting used to the kitchen when we first got married, but once I learned a few dozen things, I knew them and knew how ingredients went together and do most things on my own - except for baking. I MUST have a book for baking!

My all time, "go to" book for needing to know the basics is Better Homes and Gardens. Forgot how long to boil hard boiled eggs? How to make pie crust? It's all there.

For baking and cooking , the books I use for home are Desserts of Croatia ad Croatian Cuisine since DH is from there. Croatia probably is one of the best places for food because they have the coast, so Mediterranean foods, they were part of the Austro-Hungarian empire, so they have that influence, they were the border to the east, so they have middle eastern/Turkish influences and so on. They are VERY eclectic and probably don't have a cuisine to call their own, but they take from all sorts of fabulous foods. Yummy stuff.

For making whole grain baked breads I LOVE Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book.

For everything else I have, I use a recipe or two that I LOVE, but haven't gotten to most of them... never have time to try something new with a toddler under foot.

Melissa

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 39

Southern Living Ultimate Cookbook
Whimsical Bakehouse
America's Test Kitchens Family Favorites

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:33pm
post #12 of 39

Whimsical Bakehouse is hands down my favorite...all the recipes are great!

rajinaren Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 39

Anybody follow cake bible...because i bought the book now...havent tried any recipes...any favorite recipe in that....Please.
Raji

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinaren

Anybody follow cake bible...because i bought the book now...havent tried any recipes...any favorite recipe in that....Please.
Raji

I don't have the Whimsical Bake House, so I can't compare, but this is my cake bible. The cakes are lovely and I love that she does weights and cups so you can do either.

Her All American Chocolate Torte? OMG yummy!!! I haven't had it long, but every recipe I use now is from there. They are easy to follow, make sense and aren't full of fake stuff... very good book, imo.

Melissa

rajinaren Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Quote:

Raji

I don't have the Whimsical Bake House, so I can't compare, but this is my cake bible. The cakes are lovely and I love that she does weights and cups so you can do either.

Her All American Chocolate Torte? OMG yummy!!! I haven't had it long, but every recipe I use now is from there. They are easy to follow, make sense and aren't full of fake stuff... very good book, imo.

Melissa

Just recieved my book...excited about it. Happy to know that i got a good book. Thanks Melissa!

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:02am
post #16 of 39

I will also second or third or fourth (whatever number we're up to!) the Whimsical Bakehouse cookbook. The cakes in it are *fantastic*! Even my ever so critical husband loves the cakes I've made from that book.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:57am
post #17 of 39

I have my Gordom Ramsay cookbooks under heavy guard. The best cookbooks I ever bought.

rajinaren Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 39

Whimsical Bakehouse cookbook is the best of all...each recipe is like a jewel!

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:32pm
post #19 of 39

Don't laugh, but the kids bought me the WWE cookbooks. Yes, they have wrestling people in them and they are suppose to be their recipes and yes, the names are strange for the recipes. BUT....they are really good recipes, and the kids like them because they think "Triple H has eaten this".

I am really glad the kids bought these books...I have 2 books and I don't know if there is more, but I am sure the kids will find them if they excist.

Patricia

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:22pm
post #20 of 39
Quote:

Raji

Idk, we tried her Downy Butter cake (or something like that) and we weren't happy. Very crumbly.

rajinaren Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:12pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka4lyfe20

Quote:

Raji

Idk, we tried her Downy Butter cake (or something like that) and we weren't happy. Very crumbly.

Thanks Idk...I will attempt to try that recipe.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:13pm
post #22 of 39

Well, I have and love the Whimsical Bake House book. (I'm sensing a trend here...)

I also have the Pillsbury Complete Book of Baking. It has great recipes, and they are easy and extremely tasty. I think if I had to give up all my books but one, I'd keep this one. Everything I've made from it (and I've made a lot) is wonderful!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:27pm
post #23 of 39

looks like i better get the whimsical bakehouse.
i actually like to collect those little cookbooks you get at the front of the grocery store line. i have over 100. they keep getting borrowed, so half of them are at my mom's.

ivykate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivykate Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:28pm
post #24 of 39

The taste of Home mag has the best recipes in all baking and cookong categories, I haven't tried one yet that hasn't turned out great. Baking illustrated by Americas taste test kitchen is also very good with great detail and step by step directions, their carrot cake recipe is awesome!!

ivykate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivykate Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:28pm
post #25 of 39

The taste of Home mag has the best recipes in all baking and cookong categories, I haven't tried one yet that hasn't turned out great. Baking illustrated by Americas taste test kitchen is also very good with great detail and step by step directions, their carrot cake recipe is awesome!!

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm
post #26 of 39

I have a ton of cookbooks (sounds like I need to get the whimsical bakehouse book). My favorite one is "Dining on a Dime". There are a lot of recipes, including recipes for gift jars (cookies, soup, drinks, etc.), beauty, kids stuff (like playdough and slime). Plus there are a lot tips in every section. My MIL gave me the book for Christmas shortly after I got married. I use it all the time.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:40pm
post #27 of 39

I like all my books called "Company's Coming" They are Canadian written by a woman named Jean Pare.Her recipes are easy with simple ingredients but taste great!! She has maybe 20-30 out highlighting different sections like Salads,BBQ,Appetizers,Desserts etc....Fantastic books!!! Cheap too!!!

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:00pm
post #28 of 39

I didn't like the Whimsical Bakehouse at 1st because I thought it was a design book but after going back through it, the recipes are thumbs up! Haven't tried all of them but can't wait to! I also have some very old (1950's) cookbooks by Better Homes and Gardens and Betty Crocker. These are so old school that it's funny...by saying that I mean, the pics are really 1950's all the way down to the cartoons. Has tips on how to be the best housewife possible....what to wear, how to clean the house, what to cook for dinner, how to set the table etc. Funny stuff. Anyways back to the subject icon_biggrin.gif
I have the cake bible but I think I need to upgrade my utensils in order to get the best results. I don't have a scale and all of that. I just ordered some books from thegoodcook book club...Buttercup Bakes, More from Magnolia, King Arthur and some other non-related cake books. I think that if you want to try out some books, go with the book club. You get so many free or discounted and although, you are required to order other books to fulfill a requirement, with all the books they offer...I'm sure that wouldn't be hard to do. BUT BUT BUT, you do have to let them know you don't want certain books per month. So I guess you have to weigh those options.

mekaclayton Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:01pm
post #29 of 39

I didn't like the Whimsical Bakehouse at 1st because I thought it was a design book but after going back through it, the recipes are thumbs up! Haven't tried all of them but can't wait to! I also have some very old (1950's) cookbooks by Better Homes and Gardens and Betty Crocker. These are so old school that it's funny...by saying that I mean, the pics are really 1950's all the way down to the cartoons. Has tips on how to be the best housewife possible....what to wear, how to clean the house, what to cook for dinner, how to set the table etc. Funny stuff. Anyways back to the subject icon_biggrin.gif
I have the cake bible but I think I need to upgrade my utensils in order to get the best results. I don't have a scale and all of that. I just ordered some books from thegoodcook book club...Buttercup Bakes, More from Magnolia, King Arthur and some other non-related cake books. I think that if you want to try out some books, go with the book club. You get so many free or discounted and although, you are required to order other books to fulfill a requirement, with all the books they offer...I'm sure that wouldn't be hard to do. BUT BUT BUT, you do have to let them know you don't want certain books per month. So I guess you have to weigh those options.

mekaclayton Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:14pm
post #30 of 39

Sorry for the double post....wasn't me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%