Please Please Tell Me It Is Not That Bad

Decorating By spongemomsweatpants Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 12:31pm by spongemomsweatpants

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 27

NIGHTMARE!! icon_cry.gif
Ugghhhh gotta love New England summers with their wonderfully humid days. icon_razz.gif This is the free cake with the filling matching the bridesmaids dress; I guess the old saying is true you get what you pay forlol icon_lol.gif This cake gave me troubles all day. I had the worst time getting it to crust, then keeping it cool so it wouldnt fall. Then the stupid fondant ribbon didnt want to be my friend, most likely because I was using that awful Mills-Lane stuffman I cant wait until my satin ice comes in.

So I start up the car, blast the AC. Still have plenty of time to spare. Well no one told me that the driveway to the reception site had been redone and was truly almost at a 90 degree angle icon_mad.gif ok ok I am exaggerating but not by much. So I pull up to the house, and all of a sudden I have 3 very excited kids dancing around my carekkk!! icon_eek.gif I had decided that I would put the flowers on the cake once I got it there. I did not realize that I would be doing so with an audienceekk again! icon_eek.gif So I open my hatch to my truck and I see that the bottom tier of the cake has slid about a ½ inch!! ekkk once more!! icon_eek.gif So one of the kids says to me Thats it?? Thats not going to be big enough icon_mad.gif is it just awful of me to say that I wanted to kick this kid in the bum? tapedshut.gif So I bring the cake into the kitchen dogging these kids the whole way, to find the bride in there with the brides maids doing shots!!! Ekkk!!! icon_confused.gif Well thankfully she was so drunk in her mind I was her very best friend and this cake was the most beautiful thing she has ever laid eyes on. thumbs_up.gif I say thank you as I am pouring her another shotlol. icon_wink.gif So here I am trying to make some on the spot repairs to this cake and hide the gross spots with the flowers while keeping 6 sets of little fingers out of the frosting and entertaining the drunk wedding party. icon_surprised.gif All the while trying to look completely calm and happy because the darn photographer is snapping off pictures of me doing all of this!!! icon_mad.gif I tell them not to take this cake out of the fridge until the cake cutting ceremony because it may fall, this one very drunk, not too bright bridesmaid says Well should we take it out and set it on the table so everyone can see it then bring it back to the fridge to set up more for the cake cutting ceremony? icon_confused.gif I smile brightly and say as I am looking at these three drunken goobs in their high heels who have the dubious honor of carrying this cake down a very steep flight of stairs to get it to the table, I dont think that is a great idea., as I am pouring them yet another shot and trying to repair this disaster of a cake, slap little fingers out of the way, and smile pretty for the stupid photographer. icon_eek.gificon_mad.gificon_lol.gif LOL oh man what a nightmare!!! Darn good thing this was for a friends sister because if it wasnt I probably would have gotten really ugly. icon_cool.gif Anyway here is the cake, please for the love of cake tell me its not that bad icon_redface.gif LOL
LL
LL
LL

26 replies
Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 27

This story is just too funny - just keep those shots coming icon_lol.gif

Seriously, your cake turned out great!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 27

Oh its pretty. Maybe instead of pouring shots for the bridal party you should have poured one for yourself. icon_smile.gif Sorry you had a bad delivery but you really did pull it off.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 27

wellllllllll

speaking as a boy.....PINK! what is it with girls and PINK!

icon_rolleyes.gif

ok, with that out of my system....

it is very lovely.

you made it look real "purty" --- as in "What? there's something wrong w/ it?"

I sure can't see any problems/defects, etc

YDG!! RG! thumbs_up.gif

spongemomsweatpants Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 27

awwe thanks so much! You all really ARE being TOO kind...lol

Luby in hidnsight it really was very funny. It was like the Faulty Towers of cake delveries.

Doug I am totally with you on this one...there is only SO much pepto bismol pink any one person can stand and that cake was beyond my tolerance level..lol

So I am preparing to pour a glass of wine, sit down and CC my self silly. Stick the corkscrew in start doing my thing...SNAP!! the cork broke off icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I just went hysterical, the kids thought I went nuts. So now I am drinking wine with chunks...and the kicker is..I don't even care.

Peg you are so right I should have had a shot...or five..lol

BaltimoreCoutureCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaltimoreCoutureCakes Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 27

It's so funny to hear the stories behind the beautiful cakes. You wouldn't believe all that could happen and you still have a beautiful cake delivered.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 27

Just hilarious!! Can't believe they were drunk--and the bride!!?

But, the cake looks great. I can't see any flaws. They got waaaaay more than they paid for!
.....and....where were the kids parents? !!!!

Ahhhh, wine works wonders....

jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 27

icon_surprised.gif damn them parent that dont keep an eye on their kids. Your cake look great. bet your glad it's all over with too?

spongemomsweatpants Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:21am
post #9 of 27

thank you so much for your encouraging words. This will probally go down in my personal history as one of the funniest cake stories. Nothing like helping the bride get drunk so she won't notice how bad the cake is...lol I'm just worried about when she sobers up and sees the pics...lol
Actually after hearing all of you very talented CCer's thoughts I am begining to feel better about it. Thank you all so much again for your kind words.

I have to say I honestly am just glowing from getting the You dun good seal from Doug...that just rocks icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah and as for the parents of the kids...lol well she was one of the shot taking bridesmaids...I fixed her though, I gave each of her kids a big glob of frosting from my piping bag...lol bet they were bouncing off the wall during the ceremony thumbs_up.gif

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:31am
post #10 of 27

you cake its great oh my god!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 3:31am
post #11 of 27

Your cake turned out great! You would never guess that it probably caused a field of gray hairs to pop up on your head, lol.
I can't believe the bride was getting smashed before her wedding! I can see taking a tipple to take the edge off, but shots?!? icon_eek.gif What was she thinking?????

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 27

If I see kids anywhere around where I have to be to set up, before I do anything I find the parents and ask them to keep there children away from the work area, I don't care if they don't like it, this cake is for the bride and their quests, just keep the little critters away. I suppose we all could tell some great and some bad stories, but lucky for you everyone else there seemed complelety relaxed, and then some. Your cake came out fine, and I am sure you were a hit.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 27

Of course I am going to tell you *"This cake is NOT that bad!"*
We are always our own worst critic. those were trying hours for you and you deserve some rest nowicon_smile.gif

spongemomsweatpants Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:16am
post #14 of 27

Awe thank you all so much for your encouragement. I was trying to decide if I even wanted to put this picture in my gallery, and you all have convinced me that I should.ok goona get really girly and sappy and it might have something to do with the wine but*sniffle* I love you guys!!!!

Ok update
So I got a call on Sunday from the brides sister. She just couldnt stop talking about how delicious the cake was, everyone at the reception just loved it and said it was sooo beautiful. The cake was just a yellow cake with strawberry filling apparently these folks havent been to many weddings...lol that or my friend was just being sweet. Either way I am feeling much better about it. Thanks so much for all of your support.
It really was a funny story and this cake will forever be known as the Faulty Towers cake, I can honestly say I have never in my life felt more like John Cleese AKA Basil Faultylol

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:19am
post #15 of 27

it's so lovely! based on your adventerous story I expected to see a pile of cake mush.. but it's beautiful!
I absolutely love the pink and all the flowers!

hmarie_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmarie_73 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:31am
post #16 of 27

I think i'm going to need a new keyboard and mintor i just spewed iced tea all over it thank you very much Ms Spongypants....LMAO Great cake!!! I love it.

spongemomsweatpants Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:51pm
post #17 of 27

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
now now we don't want a ruined cake AND a ruined computer over this fiasco!
No more iced tea when reading my threads m'kay? icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks so much you know I still look ta the pics and goo ugghh what a gross cake, but I suppose we all truly are our own worst critics. Now put the iced tea down and go get a towel...lol

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:01pm
post #18 of 27

The story makes it all worth it icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif. Gotta love New England, right?

spongemomsweatpants Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:32am
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

The story makes it all worth it icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif. Gotta love New England, right?

lol you have to really...by the way how did everything go today??

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:59pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongemomsweatpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

lol you have to really...by the way how did everything go today??

Legal Eagle, baby icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:19pm
post #21 of 27

I find for occasions like this one needs to keep a small tea strainer handy!! (to get the cork out of the wine, of course!)

As for the pink - As a mother of 2 girls I am so pinked out I could just cry. I am a tomboy mom - spare me!!

spongemomsweatpants Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:19pm
post #22 of 27

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! That so totally ROCKS!!! Congrats there Lady, can't wait to see you at the wedding expos thumbs_up.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:45pm
post #23 of 27

Your cake is beautiful. Don't worry about it. You should be proud.

It does my heart good to hear you gave the kids a glob of icing. I'll have to remember that if I ever encounter bratty kids.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

It does my heart good to hear you gave the kids a glob of icing. I'll have to remember that if I ever encounter bratty kids.

lol ditto on that thumbs_up.gif

The cake looks great! You're now like superbakersweatpants...You dodge small kids in a single bound, fix shifting cakes with the flick of your pastry bag...

I still can't believe the bride was getting drunk BEFORE the wedding! icon_eek.gif
I was careful to not even get too drunk during the reception because I wanted to remember my special day, not a hangover the next day. I mean, yeah I had some wine/champagne and such and we had a bottle of champagne at the hotel that night icon_wink.gif but getting soused on your wedding day is not a great idea. Actually this reminds me of 16 Candles when her sister is all drugged up on pain relievers at her wedding that she's just sloppy! lol

icantcook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icantcook Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:27pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Oh its pretty. Maybe instead of pouring shots for the bridal party you should have poured one for yourself. icon_smile.gif Sorry you had a bad delivery but you really did pull it off.

Ditto on all accounts!
then you already had a backup line in case anyone dared ask if it was not even - "What do you mean it looks like it's leaning? It's perfectly straight! What have you been drinkin or smokin?"

Oh, and the powdered sugar sifter is great for getting the cork chunks out of wine - I like tools that are multi-purpose. thumbs_up.gif

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:33pm
post #26 of 27

Spongemom..........I am sober, and the cake looks wonderful........yep, that pink can drive a person insane.........but your cake is truly elegant! Bride drunk before the wedding?.........one of my girlfriend's husband was so drunk at their wedding, that he does not even remember it.........they had to renew their vows at ther 10 year anniversary, so he had some type of ceremonial memory!!! icon_lol.gif He will never live it down.........but great job on the cake dodging the little monsters and getting the wedding party a little more intoxicated to help ease your frustration!

spongemomsweatpants Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 12:31pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

The cake looks great! You're now like superbakersweatpants...You dodge small kids in a single bound, fix shifting cakes with the flick of your pastry bag...

LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Ok I love that! I am having the cape made up this weekend icon_biggrin.gif
I know I was more than surpised to find the bride saused up before the wedding as well but it was working out in my favor so I just went with it...lol icon_wink.gif
Thank you all so much for your kind words I really do apreaicate it. I still look at the pic and cringe, but I really just need to get over it..lol
Thanks again you all are very sweet. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%