Raspberry Chocolate Cake Sinking.

Decorating By sahara Updated 29 Sep 2006 , 5:14pm by DanaBush

sahara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahara Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 4

i baked this cake yesterday in a loaf pan for 75 minutes (my loaf pan is 3 inches high). it rose to 4.5 inches high, then when it was done i took it out to cool and 10 minutes later, it sank to only 2 inches high and it's so dense now. what happened? does it matter the type of pan i use 'cause i use a cheap one and the side of the cake is so uneven with ridges so i can't even decorate it. i notice some pan cost 60$ and mine only cost 5$. is the decorator preferred pan designed so that cake would rise all all 4 sides as opposed to the middle only? do i need to buy a "real loaf pan" as opposed to those aluminum disposable one?

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 4

It would help to see the recipe. chiffon cakes have to be cooled upside down to prevent sinking. Other recipes may require longer baking to prevent sinking. It may have been over-beaten.

sahara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahara Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 1:53am
post #3 of 4

i use the posted cakemix doctor recipe with 1 box of devil's food cake mix with 1 cup sour cream, 3 eggs and 1/2 cup oil. maybe i overbeat it?

DanaBush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaBush Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 4

i use this recipe all the time and even in the loaf pans that you throw away.
I am thinking it wasnt cooked long enough and did you mix with a mixer for 2 mins.
Also did you use all 3 eggs I only use one whole egg and 2 egg whites.
Always has worked for me.
Dana

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%