Waited Till Last Minute Now I Need Help...please

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 3:31pm by Michele25

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:06am
post #1 of 16

Ok heres the dilema...I have a cake due for tomorrow icon_eek.gif that I have already baked the cakes for icon_biggrin.gif . The problem I am having is this... I have made the bow to go on top...I want it to be a package cake...the cakes are 7 x 7 x 2 and the cakes baked up and over the pans nice and tall no spillage icon_biggrin.gif . There are three layers. Since these layers are so tall umm around 2 1/2 inches in height, should I use all of them (there is a big loopy bow for the top)? Also, stupid me made the bow in white (pearl dusted), I wanted there to be color on the cake, maybe a either really light lavender, really light blue (not bright light blue or baby blue) more like a delphium blue OR a really light ice green. Since the bow is white the ribbons on the sides will be white...would it look stupid being iced white with fondant colored dots? Or would the white bc iced cake blend in to much with the ribbon? I will dust the fondant with the pearl dust also....on the ribbon and on the dots...but I was worried, white on white with colored dots would be goofy. Please give me your honest opinion and any advice. ALSO..(sorry) should I put a bc border around the bottom and down the ribbon?

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

Hope everybody has a great day

* sending big hugs from good ole Kentucky *

15 replies
Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:26am
post #2 of 16

I think most of the questions your asking are really a matter of personal preference. In my opinion white on white makes for a very elegant cake. Still if you want some color I think the dots would be great. in pale colors, not pastels but maybe like yous said a pale ice green. And if its not too late you can always tint your BC a light shade of green or blue. As far as height, I love tall cakes but if you want something realistic then it should be the height of a box. If each cake is 2 1/2 inches will they be layered and filled. If so you might come a bit too tall. Well good luck I'm sure it will turn out just great.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:27am
post #3 of 16

white on white with the pearl dusts accented on the bow and dots would be pretty. Nice contrast to the matte finish of the cake.
The green might be a more subtle color to go with delphinium blue can be a little dark next to white on white. But JMHO!

wgoat5 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:29am
post #4 of 16

I will not torte and fill but just put filling in between. I heard they (the loopy bows) look better on stacked cakes so I hope this won't look goofy!

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:37am
post #5 of 16

I think tall present cakes look beautiful! I also think white on white is very elegant and would look terrific. I agree with biye, if it's not too late to tint your bc, use a really pale shade to bring in some color there. If you're not sure whether to use a border, search the gallery for some other present/gift cakes and see if you like the way the cake looks with and without a border.

Below is a picture in my favorites by WendyVA. I love how the tall present cakes in the back look! Good luck on your cake!! Post when you're done!
LL

wgoat5 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:49am
post #6 of 16

thank you all sooooo much!!! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 8:11am
post #7 of 16

ok here it is guys....not very good but she like it. What could I of done different?

TIA
LL

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 8:33am
post #8 of 16

Nothing! So elegant

wgoat5 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:01am
post #9 of 16

thank you so much!!! It's not perfect, I couldnt get the nice crisp edges like I can on some other cakes but at least that is all that happened bad. Could of fell apart icon_biggrin.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:51am
post #10 of 16

I agree, the only flaw if you even wanna call it that is the corners arent super crisp.
It is still stunning and I'd bet the birthday Girl/Lady did not notice that at all!
The colors are very becoming and lovely complementary shades to each other! Well done.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:14am
post #11 of 16

It turned out beautifully! I think it's just the right height!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:42am
post #12 of 16

Looks great!! Love the loopy bow!

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:48am
post #13 of 16

It turned out great! Your bow is soooo good...it's like I'm jinxed on fondant bows....you'll have one happy customer, promise thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:41pm
post #14 of 16

I am jinxed also on the loopy bows in fondant....I have yet to get a decent one out of it...but I love love love working with gumpaste now and it didn't hurt to have cakesbysam.com 's ribbon cutter either icon_biggrin.gif !!! It still needs some work done on it but ya know I tried it and succeeded in it looking half way like a bow so Im happy, I will get it down (I hope) icon_biggrin.gif

Have a great day guys and really thank you for looking and your wonderful comments and critiquing icon_smile.gif it helps!!!

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:18pm
post #15 of 16

I love the way your cake turned out. It's beautiful.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:31pm
post #16 of 16

You did a great job!! Love the shade of blue you ended up picking! Bow looks fantastic! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for posting the photo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%