4Gifts4Lisa Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:19am
post #1 of 24

did he let the customer put the rowhouse cake on the front seat??? icon_eek.gif

I about had heart failure.

23 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 24

I think it wasn't that they let the customer do it, they did it themselves. I couldn't believe that either. You just knew that was going to shift (which it did)

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 24

you know come to think of it, I thought the same thing..... it was an adorable cake though..... I am really digging the new chick though that did the armadillo and the beaver, she is pretty darn good!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 24

I don't know...yeah...that was odd!

(Now get ready to have about a million responses on here defending him, LOL)

1gananny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1gananny Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 24

my thoughts exactly! I thought that at the time they set the cake in there, I went "Oh my God, that cake will slide!" I was wondering why not push the seat all the way back and set it in the floor board. Anything but the seat.
I guess we all have those "laps of judgement sometime" even the pros!

As one would say"Here's Your Sign!"

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 24

Yup. All I could think was, "This...is not going to end well - in fact, if he makes it down the block with that thing on the front seat I'll be shocked. Shocked I say!"

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 24

....and all I'm thinking right now is "*$%!, I missed the show!"

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 24

thank you for Tivo i have to watch this tonight when i get home.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 24

I couldn't believe they did that either. At least it was a small shift and was able to be fixed by Dr. Geoff!!!

Also--- I was very surpised that Duff didn't know about pre-colored fondant... Did this surprise anybody else???

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 24

very surpised that Duff didn't know about pre-colored fondant --briannastreats

There is another thread already started regarding that very ? Many, many opinions on that.
The 2nd 1/2 hr was a repeat from last year.

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 24

I was thinking could it be a lead in to let people know about the colored fondant? that way the new season when he is using it , it is not a shocker, ok, i am grasping at straws , I love Duff.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 24

LauraS, I was thinking the same thing, I was thinking this was a way to introduce colored fondant.

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:38pm
post #13 of 24

That's what I'm thinking, too, they just want to get their product out there as a sponsor and such, so they had him mention pre-colored fondant...they know us cake decorators are watching! icon_eek.gif

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 24

I knew the cake was going to slide on the front seat, but what about the hunting cake that they put in the TRUNK!!! I don't know about you guys, but I would NEVER put a cake in the trunk! (of course, my trunk is filthy from all the crap my husband throws in there and all the baseball/football/soccer, etc. Turns out I have no trunk to do it in...but still.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:40pm
post #15 of 24

Before I had my SUV, I had a VW Jetta. I always put cakes in the front seat! All you need is a rolled up towel to level it and some non-skid shelf liner. I never had a problem and I drove quite a few cakes that way! You can keep an eye on it. icon_wink.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:53am
post #16 of 24

Rolled up towel...good idea! I usually transport in the back of the van, but if it's hot I put it on the floor of the front seat so the AC can hit it. I did notice that the rowhouse cake was not level though, so they did not use a towel. I can't believe there was so little damage. I also can't believe how well their cakes travel! They obviously know what they are doing.

Again...I LOVE YOU, DUFF!!! I mean, I really love ya, man.

TheresaXXX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaXXX Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 6:00am
post #17 of 24

What I don't get is why the cakes aren't boxed for delivery or when they are picked up. Who sends out cakes uncovered or not boxed?

Even the cakes from Safeway come in some kind of box!

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:46am
post #18 of 24

I drive a pickup, so when I deliver a cake I always use the rolled up towel. I then put a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood with the shelf liner. The cake does not move at all.
With the 3-D cakes that he makes and several others, there is just no way to fit these into boxes. They don't make cake boxes to fit cakes like the row house cake.

Scrappinstephy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scrappinstephy Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:31pm
post #19 of 24

I have seen him deliver a few cakes in boxes, but mostly they dont fit. I also couldnt believe he didnt know about the colored fondant. It was weird because the last few episodes I have been trying to figure out what kind of fondant they use, then suddenly the kept showing the Satin Ice.

P.S. I also LOVE Duff!!!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:01pm
post #20 of 24

It is easy enough to make a box to fit, though. i box everything.

TheresaXXX Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:34am
post #21 of 24

Boxes come in every size imaginable! Just because cake boxes don't come in sizes that fit sculpted cakes, doesn't mean regular boxes can't be used.

This is FOOD! It needs to be packaged before being taken outdoors, put in a vehicle (that's had who-knows-what in it), etc. Food needs to be protected. It's basic common sense.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:20am
post #22 of 24

When you have a cake that's almost 2 feet tall and is on a board that takes two people to carry, no box is going to fit that and you don't want the box to hit the cake. Even using plastic wrap can damage a cake. I try to cover all my cakes but sometimes it's just it not possible. Remember the van he is using is for cakes and doesn't have the usually family traffic in it that other cars do.

TheresaXXX Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:33am
post #23 of 24

If you say so. Although, I see it done often.

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebee

When you have a cake that's almost 2 feet tall and is on a board that takes two people to carry, no box is going to fit that and you don't want the box to hit the cake. Even using plastic wrap can damage a cake. I try to cover all my cakes but sometimes it's just it not possible. Remember the van he is using is for cakes and doesn't have the usually family traffic in it that other cars do.

Actually you can, I made a "super tanker" that was 5ft long last fall and weighed over 100Lbs it went in a "closet box" from u-haul, my cakes are either wedding cakes or 3d and they always go out boxed, shipping boxes and moving are my friends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%