Why I Shouldn't Decorate At 1Am

Decorating By peytonsmommy Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 7:50am by zenu

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:33am
post #1 of 21

I work most of the night on this cake and finally get it finished and can't figure out why it just doesn't look right to me (besides the crappy free hand writing). Five minutes later I realize the frosting was supposed to be BLUE like WATER. WAHHH! icon_cry.gif The birthday boy is only 2 so hopefully nobody will care.
LL

20 replies
marksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marksmom Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:12am
post #2 of 21

my 5 yr old son would love it anyway! All the work is worth it for the look on the child's face thumbs_up.gif

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:21am
post #3 of 21

Why don't you try the wilton color mist to spray on? You could cover the parts you don't want colored as you go along.HTH

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:34am
post #4 of 21

I think it looks fine the way it is! Very cute! He's only 2 and I don't think he'll fret that the icing isn't blue!

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 8:08am
post #5 of 21

Sand is white and I thought they were all sitting in the sand. Spongebob sits on the sand so this looks ace to me. A 2yr old will love it

peytonsmommy Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 21

Zenue, great minds think alike! I got up this morning and decided to see if I could get the fondant coral off w/o it breaking and if the color spray would change the color of the leaves and it worked pretty good. My mom had bought me that spray when it came out and I had never used it before. I hope it doesn't have a bad taste!
LL

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 21

Great job! You can't even tell the spray was applied last.

I've used the spray many times and no one has complained about the taste.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 21

that cake is soooooo cute..even though i HATE spongebob..hehe i like your cake though..looks great

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 21

Nice save, even though it was cute white too..................I was thinking the spray or maybe even sponging on some blue. He would of loved it any way it is too cute!!!!!!!

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 21

I love both versions of your cake (and I don't like sponge bob!)

sugarbakerqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbakerqueen Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 21

Awesome save!! Blue is much better...... thumbs_up.gif

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 21

GOOD LORD!!! How can anyone hate spongebob???!!! icon_surprised.gif Scaralidge I tell you...lol icon_lol.gif your dislike probally wouldn't have anything in the world to do with his annoying laugh would it..lol I am kidding of course, it's ok to hate spongebob after hearing his show play on my tv everyday for the last 8 or so years I too am not a huge fan icon_rolleyes.gif

YouR cake looks great, nice save on the blue I thought it looked good with the white, but the blue really makes it pop!

RaYiTo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaYiTo Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 21

i have try that spray and at first it tasted horrible but after a few minutes you cant tasted!!! thumbs_up.gif

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 21

i love the color change...i think it looks much better, not that your original was bad--not by far!!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:00pm
post #15 of 21

Ive used the Wilton color spray when on vacation since I didnt have my normal supplies(yes still decorating on vacation whats up with that?!?) anyway, I ate some of that cake and couldnt tell it was on there. It was easy to work with also, so in a pinch I would have to give it 2 thumbs up! thumbs_up.gif

zenu Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:59am
post #16 of 21

I'm so glad it worked out! thumbs_up.gif It looks awesome! Doesn't even look like the spray- it's so smooth. I agree with everyone else though, it still looked just as great before. But I'm sure that the idea of blue water was hard to let go of- even if it looked great white. Once you have a design idea in mind...it's hard to accept anything else! icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:45am
post #17 of 21

You did a great job - can't even tell the spray was done after. It looks so smooth - I always get blotches w/ the Wilton mist. icon_smile.gif

peytonsmommy Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:42pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks ladies! The cake was for the son of a friend of my moms and after I sprayed it down mom said she was so glad I found a way to make it blue because the mom had mentioned a few times how much she liked that it looked like it was underwater.

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:52pm
post #19 of 21

Great job! You fixed it perfectly! They will love it I'm sure.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:19pm
post #20 of 21

Good save -though even white, it would be fine! I did something similar yesterday. I had three cakes - one paid, one for a party that I was hoping to drum up business Swim team) and dinner and a fancy cake for MILs bday. Well, I was DONE with the cake yesterday afternoon. I had only 3 hours of sleep the previous night and I still had a dinner to make for the bday meal... My dh, said VERY tactfully, which he never does, that my swim team cake had one thing that wasn't quite right. and he was right... I had run the black lane lines ALL the way down the lane when it should end in a T on each end... UGH.. OF course! I know something didn't like right, so I dug up the black lies at the end and piped in the T and recovered it with the gel. You can still sort of tell if you are looking, but it did look better... but my heart sank... ALLLLLL that time and effort and then "duh" how could I forget that!!! It's not like I wasn't a swimmer too or that I don't go to the pool EVERY DAY!

Hmmm... both of our mistakes have to do with water! LOL

Melissa

zenu Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 7:50am
post #21 of 21

Berryblondeboys: Honestly, if I had seen your cake, I don't think I would have noticed that type of thing icon_smile.gif I grew up swimming and my brother was on a swim team...and I totally forgot about the "t" shape. But I'm sure there is always someone who will notice something like that. The cake looks great! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%