What Is Your Most Profitable Item?

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 5:06pm by MomLittr

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 49

I know that across the country (and oceans) we all have different levels of what we charge for our baked goods. But out of curiosity I was wondering what you feel is the item you make the best profit on. Truthfully, am coming up short for the daughter's wedding icon_redface.gif and thought selling baked goods at my office (they love my stuff) might help boost up my account!

48 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 49

The carrot cake is really popular and most people are willing to spend more on it ( and it is the EASIEST cake for me to make!! ) I always smile when the want that flavor! icon_lol.gif

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 49

My banana chocolate chip bread. Hands down, always a hit and people are always asking for some!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 49

Momlittr,
Start NOW with cookie trays, cakes, etc for the holidays. Make a flyer for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas...pumplin rolls, pies, cookies,...people don't have time to make those, and they would buy homemade in a heartbeat from especially someone they know. Before I got into this addiction, I always baked cookies, bars and pumpkin rolls for the holiday. A small cookie tray (consisted of 5 dz cookies) would sell for $30.00, I probably did about 30 trays of cookies alone last year. HTH

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 49

I can't really say what is most profitable for me since I'm just starting to sell my cakes. However, if you work in an office, it would probably be easiest to make cookies, muffins, etc and keep them individually wrapped and labeled in a basket on your desk. Cake Balls would probablly go over well too, and they are cheap and easy to make, but taste delicious! You could keep some of them boxed up by the dozen for people to buy, and have a small bag or dish of really small ones out for sampling. Just a few ideas. I hope you can get the money you need for your daughter's wedding!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 49

Well, I do not normally sell my cakes, etc, so I cannot help you there, but since it is coming on to Halloween and the other Autumn/Winter holidays, I would like to suggest that you consider seasonal items, Halloween and Thanksgiving lollipops, boxes of holiday cookies.

I do not know when your daughter's wedding is, but if you have time, you can create an order form for your best products, then deliver them a day or two before the holiday.

I had met a woman several years ago who paid off her 30-year mortgage in 18 years by baking cookies and selling them for Thanksgiving and Christmas. She packaged two layers of cookies, in cupcake liners, on a 12-inch silver tray that has a plastic dome, and sold them for $15-20, increasing her price as inflation raised her costs.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 49

Without a doubt - cake balls! A little goes a long way!! I used to package mine in nice little stamped boxes with ribbons, but after a while people just started ordering them by the dozens and all I have to do is deliver them in containers and they take it from there! Most people love them around this time of the year!!

MomLittr Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 49

Love all your suggestions! Being the wedding is 11/4, I think Halloween would be a good start for holiday baking and selling. Cake balls would be good anytime though.....how much would you charge for them?

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 49

Definitely sheetcakes. Fast and easy to decorate. I just purchased a set of oval pans that I'm in love with. Am doing more of my 2 and 3 mix sheetcakes in oval rather than rectangle. Prettier~ and different than my competitors. Especially for a feminine cake.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 49

Pumpkin rolls. I made them at Thanksgiving last year and sold them as fast as I could make them. I took orders. I also gave choices as to which flavor they wanted.
Other than pumpkin, I also made pineapple, apple cinnamon and banana.
I sold them for $10.

aidee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aidee Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 49

mmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

subaru,
do you mind sharing the recipes for the rolls?
they sound delicious!!!!
or can you tell me were can i get them?

Thanks!!!!

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 49

Cookies are the biggest money makers for me. Each holiday I profit around $500 from my bouquets. And it's usually for just a couple nights worth of work. Very little investment too. I think I average about $20 in cost to make that profit.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:39am
post #13 of 49

MomLittr,
I've heard a huge range of prices for what people charge for cake balls. I think a big factor in that is in the packaging. One CC member has her cake ball prices on her website. I can't remember exactly who it is, but she sells hers boxed and wrapped with a bow, in either 8 cake "truffles" (don't you love how elegant that sounds?!) or a pound (approximatly 12). She charges 10 dollars for eight, or 15 dollars a pound. Some might think it's high, but her packaging is really cute, and she dips the cake balls in chocolate and puts a small royal icing flower on each one. Cute, huh?!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:51am
post #14 of 49

Great ideas - all of you! I have a question... how do you advertise for these items so people know you offer them? Do you write up a brochure with all the stuff you offer or do you give free samples to people/businesses?

And on another note, are you all licensed? I am really curious about that part so maybe if you guys want to pm me rather than post the answer, I just wonder if people do this without getting caught but sometimes everyone gets real upset and I don't want to get anyone in trouble icon_smile.gif I know that there are tons that must do this without getting caught and am wondering how many have actually been reported.

I hear horror stories of fees and the health dept but who has actually gotten nailed? I am trying to get licensed but am not there yet and intend to start advertising and if anyone says anything, I have my business license paperwork waiting for commercial kitchen, etc... at least it shows intent, etc....

I'm sure I will get semi-flamed for this icon_lol.gif but as a semi-desperate single mother of 4, I may have to break some rules to make the mortgage, 'ya know? icon_redface.gif

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:58am
post #15 of 49

For me, my most profitable items are my cookie bouquets. They are easy to make and a lot of fun. The cookie recipe that I use makes tons of cookies so it is very cost effective. Plus, I always check out party stores, etc for sales for containers that are under $1.00. I have been lucky enough to find containers for 10 cents!! thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:33am
post #16 of 49

How about mini-bundt cakes, glued together with icing, covered in orange icing or glaze and made into pumpkins? You could even fill the center with cooled ganache. Make the small ones as samples and take orders for large ones for parties.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:56am
post #17 of 49

I, also, don't really sell any of my items but I know what is most requested for me to bake.(I don't really sell b/c I see baking as a form of stress relief. When I have the time I make something for my coworkers)

The most requested is fruit pizza.(sugar cookie, cool whip & flavored cream cheese mixture, bite size pieces of in season fruit)

Chocolate cookie surprise(choc. thumbprint cookie marshmellow in thumbprint topped with choc frosting)

Snowballs(sugar cookie mixed with dried pineapple/macadamia and rolled in powdered sugar)

Chocolate sandwich(choc cookies with white choc ganache in center)

Blueberry muffins(I butter the tops and roll in granulated sugar)

I have made these at least over twenty times. When I'm going to have meeting with my employees, whichever one I'm highlighting, I let them pick something for me to make to bring and share. Its really the only way I can get them to come to the meetings.LOL!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:32am
post #18 of 49

For ease in selling focus on cookies, and candies. Everyone likes to have small goodies around for the holidays. One of the secretaries at my school did a land office business selling 12 piece packages of divinity at Christmas time. She was usually sold out by 10:00 A.M. Small, well packaged and priced goodies will sell. Even chocolate coated popcorn in smallish cellophane bags tied with ribbon would sell.

MomLittr Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 10:41am
post #19 of 49

You guys are fantastic! These reponses have been a great help to me. I plan on basically selling to the folks in my office, so am not worried about being a licensed baker or anything like that....they know I am not. Belive me, if there was a problem with anything they will let me know as they know where to find me . . . .sitting at my desk, reading CC, and thinking of what to bake![/b]

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:01pm
post #20 of 49

I'm also curious about how you advertise that you sell these items? I am not a licensed baker but would love to make a little extra $ around the holidays with cookies and treats. Is it a word of mouth thing? I would be afraid to do fliers or cards without a license. Thanks
Oh btw the ideas are fantastic!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:09pm
post #21 of 49

Dustbunny, I made up fliers from my computer and just posted it in the break room where I worked. Also, if any of your co-workers have had any of your goodies, and once they see the flier, they may ask for additional ones to take home to their families.

Word of mouth goes a very long way!!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:33pm
post #22 of 49

Thanks Charb31! I am a SAHM so don't have co-workers but I was thinking of making a flier for my Mom to take to her office if she will.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:42pm
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Great ideas - all of you!

I'm sure I will get semi-flamed for this icon_lol.gif but as a semi-desperate single mother of 4, I may have to break some rules to make the mortgage, 'ya know? icon_redface.gif

WHO would flame you? Basically that's how we all start, for extra money to pay the bills.

Cake Diva, what I'm trying to say is that, put your faith in the hands of whatever "HIGHER POWER" you believe in. You are feeding your kids and keeping a roof over your head with your baking.

I always told people, that asked if I was ever worried about being "reported" when I started to bake out of my apartment.......

"Let them report me, I don't really care, all they are doing is taking the food off my table and out of my children's mouths, and that is very BAD KARMA"....lol

Take care

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:46pm
post #24 of 49

Got a question about packaging cookies. I was looking on the Oriental Trading website and they have lots of sizes to pick from. The small boxes are very inexpensive, does anyone use them and how many cookies do they hold? They are like 3x3, I think.

Cindy

RisqueBusiness Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:54pm
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbunny

Thanks Charb31! I am a SAHM so don't have co-workers but I was thinking of making a flier for my Mom to take to her office if she will.

You can hang your flyers in many places...

if any of your kids go to preschool, or you have preschools near you?? Does your hubby have an "office"?? your pediatricians office. Play groups...church? local supermarkets?? neighborhood grocery stores???

This may be more work that you want, but you could keep a set of your order forms with you and everytime you talk to someone you can hand them one! lol

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:56pm
post #26 of 49

COOKIES!!!

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:57pm
post #27 of 49

Okay, I lovin this thread. So many great ideas. I'm also a SAHM looking to make a lil $$$ but am not licensed.

I'm looking forward to hearing more responses about 'under the radar' ideas and the boxes.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:09pm
post #28 of 49

my most profitable item is cookies. i have a recipe for "pan de polvo" which i also sell with my cakes. one batch makes about 600 cookies and i sell a box of 50 for $7.00 and a box of 100 for $12.00. every one i know loves them but its alot of work.

RisqueBusiness Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:11pm
post #29 of 49

a recipe that yields 600? ok girl you need to give us that recipe!!

That is amazing!!!

are they like mexican wedding cookies??

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:17pm
post #30 of 49

yea. you have to use a cookie gun and u can use a heart shape or depending on the holiday you can use something else. for my cakes i usualy use the heart. i bake them and then toss them in a sugar and cinnimon mix. it took me forever to find the recipe. finally got my husband to get it from my mother in law who didn't want to give it up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%