What Is Your Most Profitable Item?

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 5:06pm by MomLittr

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:39pm
post #31 of 49

I need to do something to sell too. I have been doing nothing but making cakes for my family and not made any money from it. A few months back i sold 2 cakes. I live and work in 2 different states, so transporting cakes is not easy. But i'm about to give in and do it! cause i seriously need the extra cash.

CakeDiva - i'm in the same boat!! single mom, trying to pay the bills. To top it off my XH just quit or lost his job which = to no child support for me. icon_eek.gif I think being a licensed baker from home will not be something my state allows. I'm sure the rules there are very hard and strict.

I think it's time i start bringing in more cakes, cake truffles, chocolate truffles and cookies for them to sample.
A male co-worker has been telling me to start selling the cakes to the office. I'm just a bit shy about it, i feel like i'm barely starting and not 100% good at it.

Rosita - are those like polvorones? are they super soft melt in your mouth cookies from PR?

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:47pm
post #32 of 49

yea. melt in you mouth is right. i tried to add a recipe yesterday but it didn't work. i can try to email it

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:48pm
post #33 of 49

Here is a link to a recipe I found on the web:

http://www.recipezaar.com/121933

Is this similar to your recipe??

Cindy

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:53pm
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charb31

Momlittr,
Start NOW with cookie trays, cakes, etc for the holidays. Make a flyer for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas...pumplin rolls, pies, cookies,...people don't have time to make those, and they would buy homemade in a heartbeat from especially someone they know. Before I got into this addiction, I always baked cookies, bars and pumpkin rolls for the holiday. A small cookie tray (consisted of 5 dz cookies) would sell for $30.00, I probably did about 30 trays of cookies alone last year. HTH

icon_eek.gif
do u decorated ur cookies too?????
thumbs_up.gif

rosita6882 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:03pm
post #35 of 49

i don't know. i think theres somthing wrong with my computer. i'm having it checked today by my brother in law. he works for geek squad (thank god) so i have to wait and see. but here is my recipe.

6 pounds of flour(5lb bag +6 cups)
2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 pounds of shortning
2 cups of anise and cinnimon tea
(4 cups of water, 3 cinnimon sticks, and a small bag of anise: bring to a boil)

mix all dry ingredients
in separate bowl mix shortning and hot tea
slowly add flour to shortning mix with hands(trust me its easier)
use cookie gun and start making shapes
you dont have to wory about placing too close cuz they dont rise too much
bake at 325* for about 15 to 20 min.(best way to tell is if golden brown on bottom)
toss while warm in cinnimon and sugar (make to your taste)
i've stored them in airtight container for up to 3 months and they were just as good.

THESUGARCOW Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:35pm
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Great ideas - all of you! I have a question... how do you advertise for these items so people know you offer them? Do you write up a brochure with all the stuff you offer or do you give free samples to people/businesses?

And on another note, are you all licensed? I am really curious about that part so maybe if you guys want to pm me rather than post the answer, I just wonder if people do this without getting caught but sometimes everyone gets real upset and I don't want to get anyone in trouble icon_smile.gif I know that there are tons that must do this without getting caught and am wondering how many have actually been reported.

I hear horror stories of fees and the health dept but who has actually gotten nailed? I am trying to get licensed but am not there yet and intend to start advertising and if anyone says anything, I have my business license paperwork waiting for commercial kitchen, etc... at least it shows intent, etc....

I'm sure I will get semi-flamed for this icon_lol.gif but as a semi-desperate single mother of 4, I may have to break some rules to make the mortgage, 'ya know? icon_redface.gif

icon_biggrin.gif jejejej u know i was thinking asking the same thing!
icon_lol.gif
well hope somebody amswers??? pm please!
and i have the same case like yours well almost!
4 kids! and my husband the only one that works and job it is getting bad! mortage to pay now...so u know what im talking about
imagine firts time i will do something like this and boom! get a ticket!
and more money to pay for my poor husband?
i want to help him not kill him! icon_cry.gif

THESUGARCOW Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:47pm
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosita6882

i don't know. i think theres somthing wrong with my computer. i'm having it checked today by my brother in law. he works for geek squad (thank god) so i have to wait and see. but here is my recipe.

6 pounds of flour(5lb bag +6 cups)
2 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 pounds of shortning
2 cups of anise and cinnimon tea
(4 cups of water, 3 cinnimon sticks, and a small bag of anise: bring to a boil)

mix all dry ingredients
in separate bowl mix shortning and hot tea
slowly add flour to shortning mix with hands(trust me its easier)
use cookie gun and start making shapes
you dont have to wory about placing too close cuz they dont rise too much
bake at 325* for about 15 to 20 min.(best way to tell is if golden brown on bottom)
toss while warm in cinnimon and sugar (make to your taste)
i've stored them in airtight container for up to 3 months and they were just as good.

jajjaja Rosita thanks for your recipe
but one question?? icon_redface.gif
how do u use the cookie gun????????? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
jajja i bought one early this year dont comes with instruccion really, only pictures of cookies! icon_confused.gif
i tried and none of those shapes came icon_eek.gificon_redface.gif
i know i probably dont know how to used it... icon_cry.gif
how doyou use that thing??
the only use i tought i will give to it ,it was to use do decorate my cakes?? icon_confused.gif

karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:47pm
post #38 of 49

I find that the best things to sell in an office environment are simple things, like cupcakes (you get a good return on those) cookies, brownies. Right now im staying home with my two kids, but when i was pregnant with # 2 i was working and i would always bring stuff in and send an general email to everyone saying i have treats today come by cubile # and it was great, cuz when the snack attack hit they would come over to my desk (and my treats were yummier than the crap in the vending machine and better priced), and my bosses didn't mind.. so it was great.. Plus i also advertised that i did cakes and decorated cookie gift baskets.

HTH

Jenn

rosita6882 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:02pm
post #39 of 49

as far as the cookie gun, i think each gun is different. i use a manual gun. not and electric. i think its easier to control the amouts. for each cookie i use 1 or 2 pumps. just depends on the gun and how big you want them.
Ps my recipe had 1 pound of lard in it but i chose not to and used all veg shorning and theyre still delish. some say that the lard gives them a better taste but i stay away from it.

THESUGARCOW Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:05pm
post #40 of 49

i have the manual one too
but how do u pump?
i mean you leave a little of space from the tray?
or just press the pump when the gun it is already touching the tray?
icon_redface.gif sorry....

rosita6882 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:17pm
post #41 of 49

dont let it touch the tray but hold it close enough to spread the dough and not just string it. just keep practising utill they look ok. it took me a few tries but i got the hang of it. and when your making a batch this big trust me, youll be a pro by the time you finish. you might want to half this recipe for the first time cuz it is alot of work. good luck

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:18pm
post #42 of 49

rosita, thanks for the recipe!

THESUGARCOW Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:19pm
post #43 of 49

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
jajaja ok thanks Rosita

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:24pm
post #44 of 49

Most cookie guns have 'feet' that you press flush with the tray and when you squeeze the button, it will shoot a glob of dough thru the shape disk and it sticks to the cookie sheet ( ungreased is what I use, otherwise it will not stick ) and then pull up and move on down the line.

(I use the Wear-Ever Super Shooter from the early 80's - it is electric, not battery operated. I buy them all year long and wait for the 2 weeks before Christmas to sell them on ebay and it usually pays for our vacation! icon_lol.gif) I always wondered if you could shoot fondant thru it to make designs... hmm icon_rolleyes.gif

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:28pm
post #45 of 49

Wow, I only got through two pages of suggestions here and have to leave to go help my daughter and son-in-law move icon_cry.gif

I can't wait to get home to get back on CC......

Great ideas on this thread, guys and gals.

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:09pm
post #46 of 49

Maisza,
I don't normally do roll out cookies to decorate, because up til now, I wasn't very good at it (still not real sure about that either), but I always did cookies that were holiday looking, and to just jazz up my tray I always threw a handful of Christmas colored Hershey kisses onto the tray...you'd be surprised how festive it looks!

THESUGARCOW Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:29pm
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Most cookie guns have 'feet' that you press flush with the tray and when you squeeze the button, it will shoot a glob of dough thru the shape disk and it sticks to the cookie sheet ( ungreased is what I use, otherwise it will not stick ) and then pull up and move on down the line.

(I use the Wear-Ever Super Shooter from the early 80's - it is electric, not battery operated. I buy them all year long and wait for the 2 weeks before Christmas to sell them on ebay and it usually pays for our vacation! icon_lol.gif) I always wondered if you could shoot fondant thru it to make designs... hmm icon_rolleyes.gif

yeah of course i dont know where but i learn to do the rope with that .i tought at least i will use it for it jejjeje ....use it....and how it is that of the gun that pays your vacation?????
icon_eek.gif
icon_lol.gif

THESUGARCOW Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:40pm
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charb31

Maisza,
I don't normally do roll out cookies to decorate, because up til now, I wasn't very good at it (still not real sure about that either), but I always did cookies that were holiday looking, and to just jazz up my tray I always threw a handful of Christmas colored Hershey kisses onto the tray...you'd be surprised how festive it looks!

thanks....u know they have this thing from mexico now i think it is hot know....
they make different stuff from marshemellows....cute stuff i saw i will be making bunnies soon for my daughter birthday and it is just cut marshmellows glue with royal icing and before u put them in sugar colored if u want...so they wont be stiky ..u know when u cut them they turn stiky ....i think i woud love to eat cookies and marshmellows jejjejeej
thanks!
thumbs_up.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:06pm
post #49 of 49

In my efforts to find nice conatiners, I have been going to a shop in PA and found some nice quality baskets (making sure to keep the price under $3) as I don't want to use real cheap baskets. Now in the dollar store I found cornicopia baskets that seem decent, for $1......well if I get orders I may use them. BUT the one thing I wanted to let you all know is that I found nice (reusable) ceramic mini-loaf pans at Michaels for only $1 each! icon_surprised.gif What a great thing to offer a customer, a great mini-loaf and a reuseable (not aluminum) pan to boot! Don't know if all their stores carry these, but check it out anyway.

deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%