Marshmallow Fondant Is It Necessary...

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 9 Jul 2006 , 4:50am by steffla

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 32

...to let it sit overnight? Can it set for 6-8 hours then be used? I didn't get the opportunity to make it last night and I want to decorate a cake for the fourth today as I do not have time tomorrow when the cake will be eaten.

Thanks,

Amy

31 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 32

Hi Amy, I think the mmf just needs time to cool down, rest and settle, kind of absorb the sugar. It sure won't hurt to give it a try in the 6 to 8 hours you've got! Janice

cakemommy Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 32

Thank you so much! I really want to give it a try and I don't want to have to resort to using regular fondant!

Amy

cakemommy Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 1:54am
post #4 of 32

Okay, as I write this my husband is mixing the marshmallow fondant for me. It is sticky as heck. I followed the recipe to the T (could have written it myself) and it is just so sticky. Thanks to my husbands muscles it is just now resembling fondant. He's having to keep regreasing his hands. The recipe should say that your hands should have an entire can of Crisco on them before even touching the stuff.

Not too sure I'll be making this stuff again. I'd like to know how everyone else makes theres and why I'm having such a fit with this!!!

Amy

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 2:01am
post #5 of 32

The Following is a different MMF recipe I received. Same amounts I believe as recipe on site, however the incorporation of ingredients is different. And you can use it right away. I usually use the small recipe b/c it doesn't make sense to me to almost triple the MM and Sugar but not the water. Also making is small batches lets me color the fondant before I add the sugar-much easier this way!

I have added the screen name of who I received this from. Not sure if she is around on these boards-I haven't seen her yet.

MARSHMALLOW FONDANT - Bunnywoman

Marshmallow fondant is fabulous! I love the taste and it is very easy to work with. Wilton fondant is wonderful to work with but just tastes awful!!!!! I can't bring myself to place it on a cake and go through all that work for someone to give a horrible "face" and peel it off and eat the buttercream icing that lies below.

The recipe is as follows:

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powder sugar

Place marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack them in. Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just long enough for them to soften and puff up. Take out and stir with a spoon until it is combined well. At this point it looks kind of soupy. Then add the sugar and mix and fold until all is incorporated and it is no longer sticky. I take it out of the bowl when it gets to the point where most of the sugar is incorporated and I knead it in my hands. This takes roughly about 5-7 minutes. Take a fondant roller or a regular rolling pin and roll out just as you would Wilton's fondant. You can get this fondant almost paper thin and it also repairs well. It's cheap, easy to work with, and tastes great too.

You can make a large batch of this fondant as well by doing this:

Large batch of Marshmallow fondant
1- 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows
2 tbsps water
2 lbs powdered sugar (8 cups)

Do the same procedure as above.

Tips for success from Bunny:
I add any flavor Lorann Oil flavorings to this. Something that will compliment my cake well. What I do is cut back on the water and add about 1/8 tsp Lorann flavoring. You can certainly add more (especially if I make the large batch) for a more of a pungent flavor, just adjust the water amount accordingly. *****The more liquid you add to this will make it stickier to work with. Try to be accurate in measuring the liquid.*****

Stickiness??????
If it is way to sticky to work with then cut back on the amount of liquid that you used by about 1/2 tsp. This will help.
Let it sit out and "air dry" for about 10 minutes.
Use a small amount of Crisco on your work surface and hands. A little goes a very long ways so don't go over board with the Crisco.

Knead the dough with a spoon!!!!! Do not attempt to pick it up and knead it too soon. This dough is hot when comes right out of the microwave!!!!! I say this because I have had people contact me saying they received a burn from it. I can almost knead it fully with a spoon.

Dough that is not in use must stay covered with plastic wrap or it will dry out. Or place it in a Ziploc bag. That works too.

Dried out Marshmallow fondant: place it back into the microwave and nuke it for a few seconds to revive it back to its original state. The bigger the batch the more time on the microwave. Example: small batch 3-5 seconds.......large batch about 10 seconds. Microwaves vary too so keep that in mind.

Coloring: well I have experimented with this several different ways. If I want to make the whole batch of Marshmallow fondant one color then I have added the color, just Wilton paste color, Americolors, or Chefmaster colors.....any will work for this, when I pull the bowl out of the microwave when it looks "soupy". Stirred it up and then added the powdered sugar. Otherwise I have added it after it has come together and kneaded it in by hand. I use plastic gloves too when I do this, because otherwise your hands are never the same!!!!

You can work with this just as you would the regular fondant. Pizza rollers cut this very well. Ribbon cutters work fabulous too for this. I can make bows and drapes, push molds etc with this. I love the taste of this stuff. Great on the pocketbook too!!!!!!

veejaytx Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 2:05am
post #6 of 32

I mix mine with my KA Artisan using the paddle, and it works fine. It is a good thing I have it, I definitely don't have the muscles nor the husband to do it by hand. Once you have it mixed I think you'll love it, and you will make it again! If you are going to let it rest at least 6 to 8 hours, you are going to be up very late! Good luck! Janice

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 2:15am
post #7 of 32

when i made this my mixer blew and caught on fire . ill never make it again icon_sad.gif gl with urs tho icon_biggrin.gif

Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 2:29am
post #8 of 32

what kind of mixer was it??

cakemommy Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 2:54am
post #9 of 32

Leily-Thank you so very much for the variations for the recipe. Pending how this turns out I will make it again. It looks pretty good in the ziploc bag!!! It does taste pretty good at least that's what my 3 yr old says. I will definately give these recipes a try the next time I decided to make it. I'm going to be making cookies now instead of cake so I can do these tomorrow but not in time for the fireworks show get together tomorrow night unfortunately.

Amy

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 3:03am
post #10 of 32

Do you have to use oil flavorings? How about liquid extracts, as long as you use it in place of some of the water? Do you need to use cornstarch or powdered sugar to roll it out with?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 3:06am
post #11 of 32

I should also mention. When I make the small batch I melt the marshmellows/water in a microwave safe bowl (sprayed or greased lightly with oil/crisco) I mix it with a wooden spoon (i use a nonstick plastic-i'm all about easy clean-up since I hate it) until sugar incorporates well, then dump out onto a lightly crisco'd surface and need for about 5 mins. Then i'm good to go.

mrwarnke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrwarnke Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 3:49am
post #12 of 32

Has anyone used the kneading attachment with their KA when making MMF? I was thinking of trying it but I'm afraid I will burn my mixer up.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 3:58am
post #13 of 32

Just asked that earlier today as I am going to make it tomorrow... was told NO to using the KA... is best to do it by hand.

Debbi

Beebug123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beebug123 Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 5:14am
post #14 of 32

I mixed up 2 icon_eek.gif large batches of it today. I'm using it for the first time and I wanted to make sure I had plenty if I messed up with the first batch. It went together really fast! And YUMMY too icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 5:57am
post #15 of 32

I've just used the regular mixer paddle in my KA, and just add the sugar slowly. Janice

cakemommy Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 5:57am
post #16 of 32

Beebug, how did you make yours? Did it get sticky? Mine was sticky from the get go. I used two tablespoons of water just as required. Maybe I microwaved my marshmallows too much. What is the typical time to melt 16oz large marshmallows? That may have been why it was so darn sticky.

Amy

Beebug123 Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 4:58pm
post #17 of 32

Well, I just put the mashmallows in the bowl and sprinkled the water over the top and kinda started to incorporate it that way. I microwaved 30 seconds at a time and stirred in between for a total time of 1:30. The first time I added 1/2the sugar in another bowl and dupmed the mashmallow over the top and added the remaining sugar to it really slow and stirred and stirred (worked up quite a sweat too icon_redface.gif ). Then at the end I started kneeding it. I found what I was left with was still a bit sticky, but by the time I tried to roll it out last night it was firm and not sticky at all. I am really impressed with how easy the whole process was including putting it over the cake. Hopefully I will have a pic to add to my profile later today icon_biggrin.gif How is yours looking after setting over night?

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 32

One thing I have noticed is that the brand of marshmallows can make a difference. Don't know what brands you have in the US, but here if I used anything but JetPuft, it's sticky. I just keep kneading in more sugar. Your arms will be rubber when you're done! icon_smile.gif It's great stuff though.

I've never attempted making in my Kitchen Aid because I love it TOO much! I burned out my old Oster mixer making double batches of buttercream....thank goodness, then I got to buy my KA!

cakemommy Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 7:00pm
post #19 of 32

I definately don't do generic anything. I tried that before with powdered sugar and YUCK!!

My MM fondant looks pretty darn good. I finished my sugar cookies and now am waiting for them to cool completely before I start laying the fondant over them.

Amy

cakemommy Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 7:31pm
post #20 of 32

Okay, I'm loving it so far! Made a simple sugar, brushed over the cookie and made an identical overlay of MMF and YIPPEE!!!!!

Amy thumbs_up.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 10:33pm
post #21 of 32

I find that stickiness also has to do with the humidity. Some weeks i have no problem, some weeks i need to add more sugar. I have never let my MMF rest overnite, or even an hour for that matter, and I have had no problems!

Beebug123 Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 4:07am
post #22 of 32

I used all generic for it. Generic marshmallows. Generic powdered sugar. Shhhhhh icon_redface.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 6:13am
post #23 of 32

Some advice for everyone...

PM Misdawn! She made MMF for the DOS that I had at my house. It was so soft & smooth! I loved it!! She is a PRO at MMF!!

She taught me how to make it but I haven't done it yet...

I do know that it is easier to work w/ when it is warm or has been microwaved for about 15 seconds. It makes the prettiest roses! I love making fondant roses & it was so much better using MMF. Regular fondant dries out too fast. MMF doesn't. WHEN & IF it does all you do is pop it back in the microwave for 15 seconds & it's soft enought to work again!

We also covered a dummy cake w/ it & WOW was I impressed!

So my advice is to PM Misdawn or make a post to her. She will know how to help you~ Tell her I sent you! Good luck~

cakemommy Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 6:35am
post #24 of 32

I'll use all the techniques and hints I can use when making MMF. What I ended up making was very good and I was loving how it rolled out and that it didn't dry out too fast. My cookies were a HIT!!!!! Kids and adults were chowing on them and they were gone in no time! I'll definately find a technique that works for me in making the MMF and do more with it. Thanks everyone!!

Amy

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:05am
post #25 of 32

I love to make and use this fondant but I found the recipe on another site which said it can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. I was wondering if it has to be? If I make it on Thursday and decorate on Friday can I leave it covered well in plastic wrap and a ziploc bag at room temperature for 24 hours? Please help because my hands can barely move after trying to 'work in' a refrigerated batch of mmf until it is pliable again. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:22am
post #26 of 32

I never refridgerate MMF! Just seal it in a ziplock and store on the counter. I use my kitchen aid with the paddle attachment until it looks like it is getting too stiff and then I knead the rest in by hand on a silicone pad. I don't think you need to wait overnight to use it. I have used it directly after making it. Just make sure to have lots of crisco handy. I grease my silicone pad with crisco and keep my hands greased whle working.

Good Luck!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:44am
post #27 of 32

Thanks for the tip! Just wanted to also ask if you know how long you can store it at room temp. because I am often time limited on cake decorating day so I like to make the mmf ahead. Can I do that and still store it at room temp?

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:33pm
post #28 of 32

I have used MMF after letting it set up for only an hour or so, and it was fine. And I ALWAYS use my KA to mix it up. However, I only use the dough hook attachment, not the paddle, and let it run on low speed only. The KA bowl and and the dough hook must be greased very well with criscoe before beginning.

Start with only 1/2 the powdered sugar, add the melted marshmallow/water/flavoring mixture, (add coloring at this point if I need it); let it mix on low until the sugar is incorporated, then start adding the remaining half of the sugar a little at a time.

I started doing it this way because I did not like having to change from the paddle attachment to the dough hook attachment halfway through the process. icon_biggrin.gif

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 2:33am
post #29 of 32

leily how much cake can be covered by the small batch?? Thanks

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 3:43am
post #30 of 32

WHEN I MAKE MMF I LET IT SIT TILL ITS COOLED THEN I BEGIN TO WORK WITH IT.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%