What Did I Do Wrong With The Mmf?

Decorating By abbystepmum Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 5:26pm by crislen

abbystepmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbystepmum Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:18am
post #1 of 18

I tried to make MMF the other day. It seemed fine when it was made--but I took it out today and it was so dry, it was almost like cookie dough when you pull it apart--not falling apart dry-so I added a little water and it just got worse from there. Measurements in Canada are a little different than US, but basically:

I put in about 2 cups marshmallows to 5 cups icing sugar (the recipe called for 7 cups but it would have been even more dry!) + flavor, corn syrup etc... Does this sound about right?

What did I do wrong?

17 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:29am
post #2 of 18

It sounds like you had too much powdered sugar. This recipe can be reduced so you can try a smaller batch. definitely weigh the mm and sugar. Then hold back about 1/4 of the total. The recipe may not need all of it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-4-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:34am
post #3 of 18

I had the same problem..... icon_eek.gif

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:52am
post #4 of 18

i suppose im too lazy to measure, but this ALWAYS works for me.
1-16oz bag jet puffed MM
1-2Lb bag C&H power sugar
2tbls water

I melt the MM and water in a pyrex bowl in the microwave (about a minute) and stir if everything is melted i add in about 1/4 the bag of sugar. and stir it with the spoon, the MM is still HOT. then I put a pile of the sugar on my VERY CLEAN counter and dump the MM/sugar mixture right in the middleand start folding in the sugar thats on you counter and knead it like you would bread. then i just add more sugar as needed and i never use the whole bag. once i have it a good consistancy I triple wrap it in saran wrap, put it in a ziplock bag and let it rest for about 24hours(if i have time) the when im ready to use it i pop onto a plate and stick it in the micro for about 30sec, when you check to see if it has "thawed" enough b/c to check the bottom it gets hot fast.

this has aways turned out for me, hope it helps.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:56am
post #5 of 18

Did you try microwaving it for a few seconds? Was it just cold and hard or dried out?

How did you wrap it for storage?

abbystepmum Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 18

It was cold and hard-- had it in a ziploc. I micro'd it for 30 seconds. Maybe I didn't have enough marshmallows?

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 18

how do you know the "right" consistency to stop adding the sugar.

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 18

where do you gusy frind 16oz bags of jet puffed. i only have 10.5 oz around me. i use that and it works pretty well 1/2 the time the other half it just flops.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 18

I use the Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe from here on CC. I double wrap it in cling wrap and then put it in a ziploc bag. Sometimes it gets that way if I don't use it the next day, but I just knead it and sometimes add some veg.shortening at the same time. I also use the shortening for rolling it out vs. powdered sugar. HTH icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 18

This is why I always, always, always use Satin Ice. I love the consistency, trust the product and never have had an issue. icon_wink.gif

MMF is good in a pich but jeez the issues can be a pain in the neck......... icon_eek.gif

abbystepmum Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 18

Unfortunately where I am in Edmonton-Canada I can't find any fondant other than Wilton--which I refuse to use on a cake--or J. Wilton's house brand (local wilton supplier) which is 75$ for 10 lbs--which is a ridiculous price. I'm SOL so I have to figure out this MMF recipe icon_sad.gif

And I did use Rhonda's recipe but our measurements here are different, so I went online to use the converters--I don't know if that's where my MMF screwed up? icon_sad.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 18

Oh, that is so very sad....I am sorry you don't have the choice.........

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:58pm
post #13 of 18

I bought a package of premade fondant to figure out what it was supposed to feel like (it tasted like crap, but gave me a good example) and thats how i know the consistency. basically when you can form it into a smooth elasticty ball is when i go ahead and wrap it up. now that i have read what i wrote it's not really making any sense i hope it helps someone

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 18

I cant find the 16 oz bags either... makes me nuts....so I just keep making smaller batches..

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 18

I use a scale and buy two bags of marshmellows and just weigh it out on the scale......HTH...I've not had a problem with MMF yet.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacourtney1

I bought a package of premade fondant to figure out what it was supposed to feel like (it tasted like crap, but gave me a good example) and thats how i know the consistency. basically when you can form it into a smooth elasticty ball is when i go ahead and wrap it up. now that i have read what i wrote it's not really making any sense i hope it helps someone

wilton? Yup.. same problem most of us have had- which is what turned me off for years in making fondant till i found CC

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:22pm
post #17 of 18

jessicacourtney1 - that is the exact same "recipe" I use. No measurements. THe only difference is I use Roger brand ps. Sometimes it takes a little more ps and sometimes a little less. I start with the less and add more as I go along.

I would love to try another premade fondant - but we just can't get anything other than Wilton here either! I had to master mmf. My only real problem with mmf is when I need a dark color and add a lot of color - it gets kind of crumbly. I usually can manage to work with it for decoration but would never be able to cover an entire cake. Any solutions for this?

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 18

Your problem was not enough marshmallows - 2 cups does not equal 16 oz of marshmellows - and too much icing sugar. Unfortunately your online conversion led you astray - that conversion only works for liquid ingredient ingredients (milk, water etc where 8 fluid oz equal 1 cup = 225 ml).

It is hard with dry ingredients to to a conversion unless you actually weigh them out to begin with (i.e. 1 cup of flour isn't the same weight as 1 cup of icing sugar). I would suggest getting a scale that does oz, grams etc (cheapy at Walmart / London Drugs) so you can weigh out your ingredients. Since the bags of marshmallows aren't 16 oz in Canada, you MUST weigh. You'll need at least 1 to 1 1/2 bags for that full recipe.

With a good scale, this recipes works great. I use MMF for everything I can!

If you have any questiosn feel free to ask, and best of luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%