Entered The Fair-And Won!

Decorating By Brickflor Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 9:23pm by Brickflor

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:12am
post #1 of 35

I got up the nerve and entered 2 cakes in the local fair, one in the Hershey Cocoa Cake contest and one in the coconut. I won first place for both and Best of Show for the coconut one! Man oh man I thought I was going to pass out! This is the first time I've ever done anything like this so you can imagine I was pretty shocked to win anything at all! I get to go on to the Farm Show in our capital now to enter the Hershey contest there.
We went back tonight because we wanted to let the kiddies go on some rides and see if the coconut cake had won anything for flavor (we forgot to look). I'm posting a picture of it because I was pretty happy to see the decorations still intact in spite of the heat and humidity in the building.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=820843
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=820853
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=820823
LL

34 replies
ljudd1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljudd1969 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:17am
post #2 of 35

congratulations that's awesome!!! i love all the little grapes around the side - nice touch. and the hershey's one looks delish!!!! ok, now i need a chocolate fix icon_twisted.gif

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:17am
post #3 of 35

WOW congratulations!!!!!! You should be so proud of yourself!!!!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:18am
post #4 of 35

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Great job! Both cakes look wonderful! I can almost smell the chocolate....MMMMM!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I know you must be on cloud nine, when is the state competition? Good luck!

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:18am
post #5 of 35

wow ! congrats to you.... that's such a great surprise huh.... I love the grass on your cake it looks sooo real!!! Yay, now you have bragging rights...heehee.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:22am
post #6 of 35

CONGRATULATIONS!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:22am
post #7 of 35

They both look great! Congratulations!!!

Care to share the chocolate butter cream recipe???

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:25am
post #8 of 35

congrats to you!!!! well done!

Elle

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:26am
post #9 of 35

Congratulations!!!! What a great outcome for the very first time! You have inspired me to enter something in the fair here in September!!

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:26am
post #10 of 35

congratulations on your win!! I love the lattice on the side of your cake it looks great...and how the vines wind around it.
Great Job!

terah79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terah79 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:34am
post #11 of 35

Your cake is sooooo cute, I love the bench and it the love note was the best touch! If you're sharing the chocolate buttercream recipe, I'd love to get it too. I've been looking for a tried and true one!

Brickflor Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:38am
post #12 of 35

Thanks guys! It IS very exciting, hubby was saying now when I make a cake for someone I can say, 'And this is an award winning recipe!' -lol

southerncake-go for it! It was definitely worth it and I was minimally stressed about it.
OhMyGoodies-I'll PM you the recipe-it was definitely the best chocolate frosting I've ever made icon_biggrin.gif
bkdcakes-the state competition isn't until January. I have to use the exact same recipe. I am also going to use the same design, but it will look better, must practice!
ljudd1969-the grapes are supposed to be wisteria, hubby thought they were grapes too, I couldn't find a good picture or tutorial on how to make them so I winged it.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:41am
post #13 of 35

Yay for you! Congratulations.

ljudd1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljudd1969 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:05am
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickflor

ljudd1969-the grapes are supposed to be wisteria, hubby thought they were grapes too, I couldn't find a good picture or tutorial on how to make them so I winged it.

icon_redface.gif i'm a dork....sorry!!! i didn't even know what wisteria was. i just googled it and now i'm ed-u-ma-cated dunce.gif

even though i thought your flowers were grapes, would you consider sending me the recipe too for the chocolate frosting? sounds yummy.

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:08am
post #15 of 35

Congratulations. Well done! thumbs_up.gif

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:10am
post #16 of 35

Great job and Congratulations!! Be sure and let us know how your other cake did!

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:57pm
post #17 of 35

Congrat's. 2 thumb's up on both cakes! The coconut cake is so pretty with the lattice and wisteria. Amamzing work.

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 35

Congratulations!!!! That is wonderful, they both look great, I just love the bench with the tiny roses!! thumbs_up.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:06pm
post #19 of 35

Congratulations!!!!

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #20 of 35

Congratulations! They are both really pretty. Wow that chocolate cake looks amazing... bet it tastes good too!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:13pm
post #21 of 35

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Congratulations to a fellow CC'er - A Job Well Done! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:22pm
post #22 of 35

Congratulations!! You did an excellent job. I would also like to have your icing recipe if you don't mind PMing me. Good luck in the next competition!!!

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:27pm
post #23 of 35

I love the little bench! Congratulations! You should post the recipe for the chocolate cake icon_smile.gif

Brickflor Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:34pm
post #24 of 35

It's actually just the recipe on the back of the Hershey Cocoa box! Which is why I was so shocked that I won, I kept thinking while I was making it that the only way it could possibly win was if my design was really cool (which it didn't turn out the way I wanted). My MIL is known for her chocolate cake, people are always asking her to make it, her recipe calls for melted chocolate, vinegar, etc. So I made the Hershey recipe a couple of years ago for hubby and he said it was better than his mothers!
Anyway, you guys should check it out, it's a very easy recipe, makes an EXTREMELY moist cake, and everyone who has had it says it's the best chocolate cake they ever ate.

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:42pm
post #25 of 35

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Great job. The coconut one it's so detailed down to the rose and love letter. That's beautiful. and the cocoa looks very good, nice detail.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #26 of 35

The recipes on the Hershey's Cocoa Box, for Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake and Perfectly Chocolate Frosting, are my tried-and-true favorites. The cake is super moist and delicious and the frosting is easy to make and work with. I've done all sorts of borders and flowers, including roses with the frosting. It sets up quickly so keep the bowl covered with a wet paper towel.

Shayenne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shayenne Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:58pm
post #27 of 35

Congratulations!!!!

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:03pm
post #28 of 35

Congratulation! Good luck in the next contest!

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:17pm
post #29 of 35

Congratulations!!! Awesome job!! Good luck in the next contest!!!

jackiessweettreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackiessweettreasures Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:21pm
post #30 of 35

Congratulations - Both cakes are very beautiful and VERY well done, all the detail is awesome.
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%