So Discouraged

Decorating By TractorDiva Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 1:06pm by TractorDiva

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:21am
post #1 of 25

I used to make good tasting, good looking cakes. I even won a ribbon at the fair this year for my mandarin orange cake. The judge loved the taste and texture, and the evenness of my layers...Then, after seeing the gorgeous wedding cake that this gal did after 3 Wilton classes take first place and Best of Show in her division, I decided to take the plunge and sign up for my first class. I have been so excited about it...until now.

I can't bake a level cake to save my soul.
I can't get this freakin' class butter cream icing/frosting/whatever the right consistency.
AND FOR ALL MY PRACTICING, I CAN NOT GET THAT BASE FOR THE WILTON ROSE TO LOOK LIKE A HERSHEY KISS!! It sort of looks like uh...well...I can't say it, but it does!!!

I look all over this site and see so many talented people and wonder what the heck was I thinking? To make matters worse, in a fit of optimism, I have already signed up for the second class...

24 replies
KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:43am
post #2 of 25

Do you have to bake a level cake? Why not just level it when it comes out? One of the tricks I've learned on here is to press down on the hot cake while it's in the pan still with some wax paper before it cools to make it more level. Plus, you can always use a leveler or a big knife...

Someone else on here said they just cut out the major steps to make a rose and just used a Hershey's kiss as the base. I've tried it and I love it (the rose actually tastes good instead of just being a big blob of icing, and you don't have to keep changing out your tips). Besides- how much have you gotten to practice anyway, if you've only done part of course one?

Chin up, woman! You are talented and creative and your problems are easy to solve. Tons of people on here are constantly worried that their cakes look lovely but they don't taste good at all. Sounds like you've already won the hardest part of the battle!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:53am
post #3 of 25

Kitty's right. I'm always worried about the taste part. You're heading in the right direction. If you've got the taste down than the rest is just minor details.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:59am
post #4 of 25

Oh don't get discouraged! Remember that when making a cake the rule really is -- whatever works (as long as it's food safe, of course!) Even if you never master a perfect Wilton Rose, it doesn't mean you aren't a great decorator in your own right. Besides, it doesn't sound like the instructor is giving you the right direction or help/confidence boosts. I'm a high school teacher, and if I have a student who is truly interested in learning something, then I will bend over backwards until they get it. Tell her you're getting frustrated. Make her show you until you get it. Have her put her hand over yours and guide your hand so you can actually feel what she's doing to get it like that. Then, it will be in your muscle memory. Whatever you do -- don't give up!

S.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:03am
post #5 of 25

I'll share a secret, but first go look at my most recent pictures in my photos... the white wedding cake with all those roses? Got it?

Okay... I didn't get the bases right on my roses, according to Wilton, until last week.

Yup. I've been decorating cakes for about 24 years, and I JUST NOW managed to figure out how to really make the 'hershey's kiss' type base. I've been making my roses on the um... more...er... anatomically correct version. And they came out just fine. If your roses look okay, then don't sweat it... just practice, practice, practice.

Having said that, I do the bases in a 3-count. I blob a bit on the bottom, and let that build up just a bit, then move the nail down so that the icing builds up a little on that, push down just a tad so that the bottom blob spreads out a little, then pull up slightly, push down enough to spread that layer, then blob on just a bit more and pull it away. I count to three slowly, as I'm doing this, with each 'count' being on the 'pull up' part.
Now, I end up with what looks like a little 3-tiered kiss. icon_smile.gif

I also do something else that's a time saver... I go ahead and make up a ton of bases with the right tip, then go back and make the roses on the partially hardened bases. Sometimes, I just keep two decorating bags... one loaded with the base tip, one with the petal tip, so that I don't have to switch tips at all. And remember that no one is going to see the base, if you make the rose correctly, so it really doesn't matter that much if it's 'right', as long as it looks right! icon_smile.gif

I hardly ever bake level cakes. There's a reason why they sell several different versions of the cake levelers! icon_smile.gif Don't worry about it... just get a cake leveler and go on with life. I invested in the large Wilton one (the one that looks like a saw on legs), and I LOVE IT.

And as for the buttercream... on a really good day, I can get my buttercream the right consistency, but I have to hold my mouth just right and pray... a lot. And then I just play it by ear, and hope for the best. The last batch I made, I made just like the one before (which had been pretty darn near perfect), but this batch didn't want to stay on the cake. ARGH!!!!! It kept pulling off as I was trying to smooth it. It also kept trying to crust as I was spreading and smoothing it!!! ARGH!!!!

I like to blame the humidity, but I"m sure there's a bit of human error in there, as well. LOL

I like to cheat and use the Sam's club buttercream. icon_razz.gif

Not sure if this helps or not, but please don't give up! Keep practicing, and just keep trying. I doubt many of us got good without much practice! icon_smile.gif

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 5:30am
post #6 of 25

I dunno y'all, I think all this switching tips is part of the Wilton conspiracy to make us crazy. Guess what? You CAN squeeze out a base using the SAME petal tip as the rest of the rose and they work out fine, one bag one tip, less time and headaches.

Happy Decorating-
Rose

(P.S. - believe it or not I picked up that lil tip serving time in WM's "bakery")

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 25

I don't use a flower nail and make a base. I use the method where you place a piece of wax paper on a sharpened stick and make the roses on the stick - much easier & quicker than switching tips and using the flower nail.

TractorDiva Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 25

Thank you all for the encouragement and the tips. After a good night's sleep, and all the encouragement, I am feeling much more hopeful and determined that I can do this! It helps to know that you are out there and understand...as my family unit just think I'm a little nuts or on a sugar high... icon_rolleyes.gif

DoniB - that cake is gorgeous! I'll try that count method when I sit down to practice tonight. And KittyPTerror: I like the idea of using a real chocolate kiss! Especially while I "do my time" with the practice squares.

Back to all smiles!

Laura aka TractorDiva

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TractorDiva

It sort of looks like uh...well...I can't say it, but it does!!! ...

That's what mine looks like! thumbs_up.gif

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 25

i am new also, but i know that eventually i will be better. Good luck and stay with it.

Luby.... huh? I'm not sure i understand.....I have never heard of this.
it may just be a blond moment.
Can you explain again?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 25

Hershey's Kiss ..huh? wha??? I've been a self taught decorator for too many years to count. Watched someone make a few roses, tried it myself and with a little practice got really good at them. When I'm busy and get another cake order and it's for a simple cake with roses, I'm delighted! My quickest cake to whip out.

Now.. I was planning to take the Wilton courses from the beginning just for the heck of it, see if I could pick up any tips, tricks and honestly I wouldn't mind teaching. But now I'm wondering if I wouldn't come to blows with the instructor being told to change tips and make a kiss.. I might tell her WHERE to kiss icon_biggrin.gif

I am intrigued, however, with the idea of an actual Kiss in the center for a hidden surprise!

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 25

I use hershey kisses also its a great treat... inside for the reciever.. everyone loves it when I bring a cake with roses on it..

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:48pm
post #13 of 25

Tractor Diva,

I will tell you a secret, I was self taught and am one of those that has to see it , do it to learn it! I did cakes for 10 years!!!!!!!!!( or more!)

you heard right 10 years before I attempted my first rose, and it was baptism under fire, my FIRST wilton teaching gig.

Yep. I learned to do that star and clown and that's all I did!

LOL

now, I have all kinds of hints for making roses, using the "S" rose tip maker, adding a little piping gel to my buttercream so my edges don't tear and that hershey thing, I have to break the lil tip off before I can use them..lol

and level cakes? I cut cookies in 1/2 and "shim" my uneven cakes with the cookies and the kids go nuts with that.

This is something I learned from a lady in Liberty, NY called Linda. She made a ton of cakes for kids!

captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 25

LMBO, Laura!! I could see you telling the instructor where to kiss..LOL

As for me, I have a friend who's decorated for years....she taught me to make my bases using the petal tip.....I just squeeze a bunch out as a I swivel from side to side and move up...till I'm happy with the shape....WAY easier....LOL You'll get it! I thought roses would be the death of me...and I finally got them. There's always more than one way to skin a cat I always say.....do what's best for YOU...there's not going to be an instructor standing over your shoulder while you make your cakes.... *wink*

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 25

Eggshells, I hadn't heard that you can put the piping gel in to keep the edges from tearing. That's an awesome tip! I really struggle with that. Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:02pm
post #16 of 25

I also use a sharpened dowel to make my roses. I can't make a good looking one on a flower nail to save my life. There is a "how to" on the articles tab. I learned how to do it this way many years ago. I remove the rose from the stick with the Wilton flower lifter or a small pair of scissors and place them directly on my cake.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm
post #17 of 25

TractorDiva

A pox against Wilton Roses!

I waited to get past the boring pieces in my stupid Wilton class....by the time I reached the third class, (before they offered the gumpaste class) I finally asked the instructor when I would learn how to sculpt cakes.....her reply........"That is for cake artists not decorators, like us.".....needless to say I never went back. Because that is the main thing I wanted to learn!

To this day I have not learned how to create a stupid Wilton Rose and because of my deep down spite for that instructor, I probably never will.

And like you I have never baked an even cake. icon_eek.gif But heck, I figure it is okay cuz I sculpt them. icon_wink.gif Check out my gallery, it has not hurt me in the least to not do it "the Wilton way!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I create works of art "Shirl's Way!" icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:14pm
post #18 of 25

I think it is a little harder to make roses now that they changed the Crisco. My frosting seems so much softer and my petals don't stand up so well. I have to put my bag in the fridge quite often to keep it a little hard. Maybe we need to use a little more powdered sugar. I am not sure.

The thing is I have been making roses for years and my troubles just started when they changed the Crisco. Stiffen up the frosting a little. If you are using royal, again it may need a little stiffening.

Also, bake your cakes at 325 and they don't get such a large hump to level. Don't give up. You will get it.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:30pm
post #19 of 25

While teaching basic cake decorating (not the Wilton method, but the "Foster" method), I had to learn to decorate left-handed to be able help lefties. To the point. While trying to teach roses in buttercream, I discovered that if I started the base and first couple of rounds left handed, then my roses finally looked good!

Using the rose tip works really well for the base. If I ever make another buttercream rose (heaven forbid icon_smile.gif ), I will try the Hershey's Kisses.

One other odd discovery happened while teaching. I had some leftover dairy-free frosting in the freezer that had been made with Rice Milk and it made the most beautiful roses. No cracked edges and almost translucent! The edges curled back very gently. I was so surprised since my buttercream roses are usually so bad.

Michele

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:31pm
post #20 of 25

Don't be discouraged-buy the roses-they come i
n all different colors. I used to make flowers out of gumpaste-loved doing it-time and labor had to decrease because of increase of cakes being ordered so I buy them from Lucks, Bakery Crafts or cake supply shops. I use luster dust and my air brush to get certain colors when I need them.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:32pm
post #21 of 25

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................... a Wilton rose, I just make a rose didn't know it had to be the Wilton way? So does that make mine wrong? I figure if it looks like a rose it's a rose................ icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:33pm
post #22 of 25

Baking a perfectly level cake is nearly impossible.. you create the level effect after it's cooled.. icon_wink.gif . "Hello cake.. meet my friend the serrated knife. Now this might hurt a bit, but I don't mind.. *snicker*".. icon_lol.gif As for the roses.. they are a pain.. is there water in your BC recipe? If there is try reducing the amount and using heavy cream instead. The new zero transfat crisco has been giving some people a lot of problems with their BC. I have made roses on the skewer befor and it's really much easier than using that damned flower nail.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:35pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Baking a perfectly level cake is nearly impossible.. you create the level effect after it's cooled.. icon_wink.gif . "Hello cake.. meet my friend the serrated knife. Now this might hurt a bit, but I don't mind.. *snicker*".. icon_lol.gif As for the roses.. they are a pain.. is there water in your BC recipe? If there is try reducing the amount and using heavy cream instead. The new zero transfat crisco has been giving some people a lot of problems with their BC. I have made roses on the skewer befor and it's really much easier than using that damned flower nail.

Hilarious! I love it!

I use cream in my BC also. I love the taste and the consistency.

Michele

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:01pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrick

LMBO, Laura!! I could see you telling the instructor where to kiss..LOL

As for me, I have a friend who's decorated for years....she taught me to make my bases using the petal tip.....I just squeeze a bunch out as a I swivel from side to side and move up...till I'm happy with the shape....WAY easier....LOL

That's exactly how I do my roses! Only the 104 tip all the way!!

TractorDiva Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:06pm
post #25 of 25

Well, I introduced my cake to the serrated knife last night...you were right, didn't hurt me a bit! Tonight is my class...I'll report back on how those roses go...um...grow!. I figure I'll absorb whatever teaching I can get, and hold onto these other great ideas for my practice time... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%