Hat Box Topsy With An Eiffel Tower... Can I Do It? How?

Decorating By marthajo1 Updated 18 May 2008 , 10:28pm by marthajo1

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:17am
post #1 of 30

Okay.... If you have come this far you think you can help me so please HELP ME!! I have to know if I can do this cake? Not if I am talented enough cause I want to do it even if I am not but how do I support the top cake? I will do the lids out of styrofoam but then what? The eiffel tower is made of RI. Thanks! I have the hat box directions so I will use those if it is enough support.... what do you think?
LL

29 replies
marthajo1 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:50am
post #2 of 30

Are there directions for this type of topsy cake? I think I have seen them....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=363683

with the styro wedges?

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:49am
post #3 of 30

yes there is a thread floating somewhere... I'll try to find it...Doug drew it up and explained it.. I believe..

here it is.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-413983.html

another.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=166841&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=support&&start=0

marthajo1 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:58am
post #4 of 30

Yeah I just found that as I continued to look! I am just not sure how to do the open box lid with another cake on top.... I wish I had time to do a practice! icon_lol.gif Maybe I should make the time! I am doing the cake for a shower on Sat. though!

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #5 of 30

If the bottom box lid id styrofoam,held up with a dowel... why can't you still just place the top cake on the and have a dowel that goes through both tiers... Make sense...

Where are you Doug....?

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:14am
post #6 of 30

i am sorry i cant help! but i did just make rstml's eiffel tower last weekend and it is awesome! you will love it and it is easy to make! Good luck!

marthajo1 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:18am
post #7 of 30

I know I am just waiting for morning! icon_lol.gif Thanks!

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:31am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie1686

i am sorry i cant help! but i did just make rstml's eiffel tower last weekend and it is awesome! you will love it and it is easy to make! Good luck!

Is this on the forums anywhere? I'm interested to find out about this eiffel tower. I made a cake with a metal eiffel tower topper this past weekend. The topsy cake is a cute idea too!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=820473

marthajo1 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:37am
post #9 of 30
Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 30

tmt,
The directions aren't on the forums. I pm'd another cc'er and she emailed me directions that she had gotten from rtsml. I can email you them if you would like to give me your email.

Cassie

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 30

ok...give a guy a chance (end of the quarter for taxes!!! had to go do them for my church --- grrrr)

yep that design is very doable

sketch based on 10 in bottom and 8 in top tier.

black lines = straight dowels support first wedge of styrofoam (blue)

green lines = dowels w/ slanted neds supporting second wedge of styrofoam.

lids would be cake boards w/ fondant or gumpaste covering.

for greater stability -- cake board under each wedge of styrofoam and I'd even GLUE the styrofoam to both the cake board and the bottom of the lid

orange line = big ol' center dowel all the way through.

and then that French erector set on top.
LL

marthajo1 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 30

Fabulous!! YEEEHAW!! I am so excited!! How big of a wedge do I get? Do I get a rectangle and cut it.... oops didn't think about that part! icon_lol.gif Is the cake really going to stay on that board?

Doug Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 30

get circle of styrofoam if you can and then cut through on a slant

that or get large square and cut to circle and then slice on slant.

the slant drawn is 15 degrees.

can get 2 wedges from on piece of styrofoam.

so if get an 9 or 8 inch circle or square that will give both the bottom wedge and after trimming smaller the top wedge too.

marthajo1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:19am
post #14 of 30

Oh my gosh!! I just found one like my idea!! icon_lol.gif I am so excited to see that somebody accomplished this! Yeah! It makes me feel like I can too! Not that I think mine will be this amazing but still accomplishable! http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=323913

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:44am
post #15 of 30

I am watching this thread.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:43am
post #16 of 30

Can't wait to see the end result of this cake.
Will be eagerly awaiting pics. The design looks fabulous!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:57am
post #17 of 30

When making you Eiffel tower you could make it 3D by making two to slot into each other, if you know what I mean. Or making 4 halves which you glue together in the middle.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:05am
post #18 of 30

I think when doing the hat box tops you should use foam core instead of a regular cardboard circle...that would give you a little more stability for dowels holding the cake.
(I think this one is going to be heavy?!)

marthajo1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:29am
post #19 of 30

I was planning on using the white styrofoam circles for the lids.... Is that okay?

I actually have the eiffel tower pieces made already I just have to assemble them on Friday! Thanks for the idea though.

marthajo1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:43am
post #20 of 30

Okay maybe you meant on top of the styrofoam to put foam core instead of cardboard? I am confuused again now! icon_lol.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:07pm
post #21 of 30

If the cake is going to be sitting right on top of the lids then your styrofoam will be fine! I was thinking the lids be foamcore but, you're right!

sorry to confuse you! Good luck with your cake!

StephyG

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 3:07pm
post #22 of 30

Jacques Torres made a Chocolate Eiffel Tower. Here are his instructions for it. Might help with the assembly...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_18826,00.html
-

marthajo1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 30

Oh my gosh! I am so frustrated! I decided I would try making choco fondant instead of trying to turn white into black! It is not coming out good at all! I am letting it rest and if it doesn't feel/look better tomorrow I will go buy black satin ice! I hope this is not a foretelling of what is to come on this cake!!

Okay I am off to make more fondant-- vanilla this time! (wish me luck)

marthajo1 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:01pm
post #24 of 30

Oh my gosh I am so frustrated!! The lady at california cake decorating told me they had a small pack of multi colors in satin ice when i called yesterday..... my mom went today to get it and they don't have it!! It is WILTON!!!!! I am not using wilton as edible decorations on a cake!! The only thing good about wilton is mixing it with gumpaste to do letters and other modeling things!!! YUCK!!!! So now I have to use the chocolate even if it is cracky! Positive note-- vanilla toba's came out beautiful as always!

Actually DD#2 (14 months) just found my stash of spare colors of wilton fondant for modeling. She took a big ole bite of pink gumpaste/fondant!! I think she liked it! icon_lol.gif No worries I caught her in time... so no choking!

marthajo1 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 12:29am
post #25 of 30

so I am about to cry and I don't know what to do!! the bottom of the cake looks about as good as I can do and now I am ready to put on the "lid". I don't know what to do. I have been trying to figure it out but I am clueless! I put fondant on the styrofoam and it wouldn't stick so I figure I will smear on a little BC and that should do the trick. It does... its fine! Now what do I do with the bottom of it. I tried wrapping the fondant around the bottom. but it doesn't stick.... maybe RI? I only have black.... im going to try it! I am so tired of this stupid thing!! I am so frustrated! Totally bit off more than I can chew! I am dissappointed ......

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:12am
post #26 of 30

you can put piping gel on the board and that should let the fondant stick to the board. hth....

marthajo1 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:05am
post #27 of 30

well the cake is done as much as I can do tonight. I think it is going to fall over!! I am so scared! Im taking bets on how many times I will check it in the night!! J/K-- I will be too scared to check it!!

marthajo1 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:43am
post #28 of 30

Okay It is officially posted!! It survived transport and was sooo yummy!! Thanks so much DOUG!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=846503

Doug Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:12am
post #29 of 30

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

GREAT CAKE!!!!

marthajo1 Posted 18 May 2008 , 10:28pm
post #30 of 30

I am going to ask to have the duplicate photo of my eiffel tower cake removed so I wanted to post a link to the new photo collage.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1138213

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%