Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By sue_dye Updated 4 Jul 2005 , 4:35pm by SquirrellyCakes

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 9

Does it have to set awhile before you pour it on the cake.

8 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 9

Let it cool just slightly so that if you have buttercream icing on your cake it won't melt off when your pour the ganache.
If it cools too much, it will turn thick and fudgy like.

sue_dye Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks m0use for your reply. I tryed it and the texture of the cake showed through, so I reapplied it over and over. This is how it turned out. I wanted a thick smooth look. This was my first atemp at ganache. I think I need to practice - practice - practice
LL

m0use Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 12:01am
post #4 of 9

Yes, it takes a lot of practice with ganache.
You have to make sure your buttercream underneath is really smooth, and ganache has to be poured once, because once you repour, it cannot turn out right.
Your sides look good, but the cake still looks tasty.

sue_dye Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 12:07am
post #5 of 9

I put the ganache on the cake with out anything under it. Do you have to have buttercream under it to have the smooth look?And do you need to keep in in the frig because of the cream?

m0use Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 9

It will look better with a layer of smoothed buttercream under it.
I can't remember if it has to get stuck in the fridge or not icon_confused.gif ; I would say if the cake is going to site outside and it is really really hot out, I would put it in the fridge so that it does not melt on you.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 9

No, ganache doesn't have to be refridgerated, it keeps at room temperature below 75F for 2-3 days. The reason is because you scald the cream. It actually usually has a nicer finish if not refridgerated, it tends to lose a bit of its nice glossy sheen when refridgerated.
MOuse is right, if it is going to be somewhere warm, you will want to refridgerate it until serving time.
It looks like perhaps you tried to smooth the top with a spatula? The trick is to pour without smoothing. It is actually easier to get a smooth finish when you don't use buttercream under it.
Make certain you are not actually cooking your chocolate, but rather letting the hot cream melt it.
I cheat sometimes, if the top surface doesn't look smooth, I wait until it is set, reheat a bit of ganache and sort of drizzle or spoon a drizzled look to the top. It will make a pattern if you let it drip off the spoon onto a finished and cooled cake. Sometimes I just zigzag lines on top. Shh, don't tell, haha!
Your cake looks really nice though!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

sue_dye Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 9

I waited a awhile and poured, it was so thin i could see the texture of the cake. So i repeated it over and over and you still seen the rough texture of the cake. Then finally it was to thick as seen in the picture. I thinkwith ganache it take practise. Thanks for all the help.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 9

The cake surface has to be fairly perfect and you are right, it is practice! But even the best of bakeries don't always have a perfectly smooth topped cake, so I wouldn't worry. You can hide a lot with a strategically placed rose or such, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%