Cake Ball Pricing

Decorating By GinaJuarez Updated 3 Jul 2005 , 3:05pm by diane

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 21

I recently brought cake balls into work, and everybody raved over them. People are asking me how much I would charge them to make them for parties, gatherings, etc. Since I have been doing it with cake scraps and mess ups, I never really thought about it. What would be a decent charge if you baked a cake for that exact reason. I figured out that the ingredients and supplies (those little mini baking cups, and a box to put them in) came out to be about $13.00. Also, should I price it per ball, or have a set amount for a specified quantity? I make mine about the size of a ping pong ball. A whole cake mix would make ALOT of balls. I made 40 just out of a 1 layer 7 inch cake. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

20 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 21

I sell mine GinaJuarez. I charge $10 per dz with a minimum of 2 dz.

Hope this helps

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 21

Could someone remind me of this recipe? Thanks!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 21

I was going to say..I would sell by the doz. similar to donuts. icon_biggrin.gif

Mchelle Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 21

Here is Cookieman's recipe...

2 cups crumbled cake scraps
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (if cake scraps are not chocolate based)
1/4 cup chopped almonnds (or any other nut you like, or mini-chocolate chips, or M&Ms, you get the idea!)
2 generous shots of amaretto (or any other liquer you may like, a good non-alcohol substitution is any flavored coffee creamer)

Put all ingredients in a mixer and mix on medium speed until the ingedients form a ball. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit more of the liquid used to make it moist enough to form into balls.

I use a tablespoon cookie scoop to make the balls uniform in size. Roll the scooped dough in your hands to form a nice smooth ball. Allow cake balls to set on a parchment lined cookie sheet for a couple of hours, then dip them in chocolate(following) or roll them in confectioners' sugar or cocoa.

Melt 1 lb. of candy melts and add approximately a tablespoons of crisco to make it a bit more smooth. Also, put the container (in my case, a pyrex measuring cup) of melted candy melts in a very hot (I use amost boiling) water bath to keep the chocolate fluid. dip balls into the chocolate using a spoon and a dipping fork (in my case, a plastic fork with the two middle tines cut out) Don't worry if the dipped balls have a "foot" at the base after drying. You can break some off after they have hardened and once they are in the little cake liners, no one will notice. Also, you can decorate the tops with just about anything, sprinkles, candy confetti, chopped nuts, etc. before they dry. Or after they've dried, pipe designs with royal icing or melted candy melts of differnet colors!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 21

Awesome, thanks! I have heard people just use cake and extra icing but this sounds tons better.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 21

I fit 25 balls into an 10" x 10" box and they are $15 a box or 2 boxes (50 balls) for $25!

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 21

This is the reason right here that I am addicted to this site. You guys ALWAYS come through!! thanks! thumbs_up.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 21

They are actually quite good with just cut up cake and extra icing, then dipped into melted candy melts or chocolate.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 3:59am
post #10 of 21

that is a great Idea to sell them by the box. not to mention this would be a great idea for a classroom treat or a fund raiser donation.. woooo hoooo Gotta luv all of you for your ideas!
~Sweet~ =0)

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:19am
post #11 of 21

mmm i cant wait to try these. i may make a cake just to make them. I will let my dh take them to work and have all the guys eat them.

MrsMissey Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCreations

that is a great Idea to sell them by the box. not to mention this would be a great idea for a classroom treat or a fund raiser donation.. woooo hoooo Gotta luv all of you for your ideas!
~Sweet~ =0)

..they make great little favors too! Two balls fit inside these little bow boxes!
LL

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 1:09pm
post #13 of 21

How pretty MrsMissey... that'd be a great idea for some extra cake... I've had a lot of brides want just a little more cake but didn't want their wedding cake larger... I think the cake balls would be a great idea icon_smile.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 21

this is a new idea to me but a wonderful one at that... my question is has anyone eve princess.gif r frozen the cake scraps then used them later to make the cake balls and if so how did they turn out?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 6:30pm
post #15 of 21

why don't you charge them by the dozen like the bakeries do...also, where can i find this recipe for the cake balls? icon_lol.gif

MrsMissey Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:42pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

why don't you charge them by the dozen like the bakeries do...also, where can i find this recipe for the cake balls? icon_lol.gif

Here is Cookieman's recipe...

2 cups crumbled cake scraps
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (if cake scraps are not chocolate based)
1/4 cup chopped almonnds (or any other nut you like, or mini-chocolate chips, or M&Ms, you get the idea!)
2 generous shots of amaretto (or any other liquer you may like, a good non-alcohol substitution is any flavored coffee creamer)

Put all ingredients in a mixer and mix on medium speed until the ingedients form a ball. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit more of the liquid used to make it moist enough to form into balls.

I use a tablespoon cookie scoop to make the balls uniform in size. Roll the scooped dough in your hands to form a nice smooth ball. Allow cake balls to set on a parchment lined cookie sheet for a couple of hours, then dip them in chocolate(following) or roll them in confectioners' sugar or cocoa.

Melt 1 lb. of candy melts and add approximately a tablespoons of crisco to make it a bit more smooth. Also, put the container (in my case, a pyrex measuring cup) of melted candy melts in a very hot (I use amost boiling) water bath to keep the chocolate fluid. dip balls into the chocolate using a spoon and a dipping fork (in my case, a plastic fork with the two middle tines cut out) Don't worry if the dipped balls have a "foot" at the base after drying. You can break some off after they have hardened and once they are in the little cake liners, no one will notice. Also, you can decorate the tops with just about anything, sprinkles, candy confetti, chopped nuts, etc. before they dry. Or after they've dried, pipe designs with royal icing or melted candy melts of differnet colors!

Mchelle Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 7:42pm
post #17 of 21

hey diane, look up in the previous posts for the recipe.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 1 Jul 2005 , 8:05pm
post #18 of 21

thanks for all your wonderful input!!!! i never have any left over cake!!! i have four kids and hubby that just wait for my cake "waiste" so they can snag it. i think i will make a box of cake just for the cake balls. do you cook the cake and cut the balls????? soooo cool!!!!!!!!@!!
melody

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 4:45pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCreations

~Sweet~ =0)

..they make great little favors too! Two balls fit inside these little bow boxes!

O My MrsMissey What a Beautiful cake, and Love the bow boxes with the cake balls. Thanks for sharing!
~Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

MrsMissey Posted 2 Jul 2005 , 5:41pm
post #20 of 21

..thanks so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 3:05pm
post #21 of 21

thanks missey, i never knew cake balls had all those ingredients. icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%