Oh No!!!!!!!! How Bad Am I Toast On This One???

Decorating By jamhays Updated 25 Jul 2007 , 6:18pm by moxey2000

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:38am
post #1 of 40

I just put a 12x18 sheet in the oven (cake batter x3). After 5 min, I turn around & see the flour sitting on the counter that I was SUPPOSE to flour the pan with!!! icon_surprised.gif I usually use Cake Release (Wilton), but I ran out, so I was using Crisco w/flour.

So, my whole sheet is going to stick isn't it???
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

39 replies
ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:48am
post #2 of 40

Did you use Pam or any other kind of oil on the pan? I never flour my cake pans and I don't have any problem with them sticking.

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:49am
post #3 of 40

I don't really know for sure how it will turn out. I have actually done the same thing when I was out of cake release and my cake turned out fine. So maybe you will get lucky.
I will cross my fingers for you. thumbs_up.gif

Tonya

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:50am
post #4 of 40

I have never used plain Crisco (I usually use Cake Release, too) so I can't answer your question, but I wanted to send some loose cake vibes to you.

I hope it pops right out of the pan when it's done! Good luck!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:51am
post #5 of 40

Last weekend I forgot to put parchment in the pan for a devil's food cake that always sticks and PANICKED!

Anyway, what I do a lot of the time just to make sure the cake has released from the pan is put the cooling rack over the pan, then tip it on its side and tap a little until it slides down toward the counter. Then I turn and tap, turn and tap until it is obviously moving around freely in the pan. I figure I might lose a little diameter that way, but I have a feeling it has saved me from more than one rebake.
icon_smile.gif

jamhays Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 4:55am
post #6 of 40

I DID remember to put the Crisco in...just not the flour.
I'm going to be on my knees praying, until the timer goes off. This cake is for our pastor's housewarming reception on Sunday. I do NOT want to have to re-bake this cake.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:02am
post #7 of 40

I've done that a couple times myself (well, forgotten the parchment), but was able to stick it in the freezer for about 2 hours, and it just flipped right out of the pan. However, yours may be too big for the freezer??

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:27am
post #8 of 40

If it looks like its going to stick, try slipping an offset spatula underneath and loosening it that way

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:34am
post #9 of 40

crossing my fingers for you!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:38am
post #10 of 40

i adore my pam with flour in it. saves me the mess of greasing and flouring BUT i will do so when i'm out of pam lol. its gosh darn pricey up here i tell ya

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:45am
post #11 of 40

I LOVE Pam with flour but that other makes me choke to near death when I use it. Baker's Joy, that's it....no joy here. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. I know how ya feel.

jarjarmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjarmom Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 5:50am
post #12 of 40

I know this is after the fact but I use a mixture of equal part oil flour and crisco. I mix it up in a tupperware container and spread it in my pans w/ a pastry brush. It's cheap and mess free!

I will say a prayer for you as well!!!! Try turning and tapping as soon as you take it out of the oven. this will loosen it before it has time to settle. If it is sticking on the sides just run a spatula or knife around the edges.

jamhays Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 6:10am
post #13 of 40

Whew! It came out fine. Thanks for all the good vibes & prayers. I hope that doesn't happen again. I've been thinking about mixing my own batch of oil, flour, crisco. I may do that instead of buying another bottle of cake release...that stuff is kinda pricey.

CoreyV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoreyV Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 6:18am
post #14 of 40

I use just pam by itself and I normally have no problems, occasionally I toss in a little flour just for luck. I try and avoid the Wilton products due to price they work well but there is usually a home brew option that does the job and doesn't send me back to the ATM as regularly. I am glad it turned out well for you

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 6:29am
post #15 of 40

So glad to hear your cake was a success. I only use shortening on my cake pans but I line them with wax paper. They never stick and it keeps the bread moist. My sister lines her pans with paper towels, bread too dry for my taste.

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 6:42am
post #16 of 40

I also use the flour, oil and crisco mixture for my pans--a trick I learned here on CC. I just keep a container of it handy, and it works like a charm! Somebody said it is probably what Wilton uses for the cake release, but it is a lot cheaper. I don't use anything else anymore.

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 7:42am
post #17 of 40

Oh Yay I am so glad it came out fine for you!!

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 10:21am
post #18 of 40

I am glad everyhting turned out o.k. I always use wax paper to line my pans. I've been doing it for years. I have never had a cake stick on me yet.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 10:47am
post #19 of 40

I jumped on this little train thread too late but I'm very glad to hear that everything worked out for you icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

Maria071 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria071 Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 11:05am
post #20 of 40

I always use just crisco because I have had trouble with flour and crisco. Glad it was fine.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 10:30pm
post #21 of 40

Equal amounts of flour, crisco and oil. Mix well, can store in fridge or on counter.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 10:49pm
post #22 of 40

I'm also glad everything turned out fine for you. I've been using the homemade cake release (with equal parts of shortening, veg. oil, & flour) and I really do like it. I've never had any problems with it. thumbs_up.gif

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 21 Jul 2007 , 11:56pm
post #23 of 40

Phew!! Another happy ending! YAY!

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 12:16am
post #24 of 40

Horray! I'm glad it worked out for you! How do I make the flour oil and crisco release? I've been using Pam w/Flour but it's sooooooooo expensive.

7yyrt Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:04am
post #25 of 40

For cake release see 3 posts up - v e r y simple.

vitomiriam Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:59am
post #26 of 40

Thank you. I am going to try it tomorrow for a birthday cake I'm making.

7yyrt Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:12am
post #27 of 40

You won't want to use anything else. The only time I had trouble with it was once when I missed a spot

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:26am
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

You won't want to use anything else.

I agree! I use to use strictly Wilton, now I love the homemade stuff. Thank CC....again!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I wanted to add, that I do also for large cakes use waxed paper on top of my cake release. I find it helps them come out and stay together once they're out...well at least till I take the paper off....

jamhays Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 6:31am
post #29 of 40

Here's the cake that scared me when I thougt it was going to be stuck in the pan.
LL

vitomiriam Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 3:32pm
post #30 of 40

It's gorgeous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%