For Those Of You Who Make Wedding Cakes...

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 30 Jun 2005 , 11:28am by cakegal

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 31

Ok, I've seen mixed responses to this so I'm asking you guys. How do you make up each tier?? Ex: Two 2" layers torted and filled to make four layers, three 2" layers stacked and filled between each, two 3" layers torted to make 4 layers... ect.

I want to know how you all do it and what seems to work for you, or waht the industry standard is. I want all you opinions.... so please hep!

30 replies
APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 31

I like the look of (and have always done it this way) two 2" layers, leveled and filled. That makes the cake a little over 4" high. I'd like to tort the layers sometime and have four layers, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 31

I just make cakes for friends and family...I like to make 2 cakes torted to make 4 layers. My cakes are usually about 4" high.

I like to make the 4 layers because people are not expecting it and it seems impressive. No supermarket bakeries around here do that. The little bit of extra work makes the perceived value of the cake a lot higher. So its like a value added feature.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 31

Well, it depends for me, if i'm not using a filling i will do two-two inch layers with buttercream in the center. If i'm doing a filling i will usually use three inch pans and split in three layers. If using two inch pans with a filling i will split each layer and have four layers of cake, two with filling and the middle with buttercream

peacockplace Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 1:54am
post #5 of 31

I thinkit's so intersting to see what everyone does. I hope we got some more answers... I'd love to see what the majority is!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:02am
post #6 of 31

I like using my 3 inch pans and then I torte and fill. That'a a big time saver for me! I also find that helps me stack the layers better too.
traci

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:31am
post #7 of 31

Heehee, try all of the above? I sometimes use two 3 inch high layers just filled in the middle or torted and filled. Sometimes I use two, 2 inch high layers again torted or just filled in the middle. I rarely use just the 3 inch high one layer, torted, I find it looks a bit flat for my liking especially in the larger cakes and the flatter cakes are not as popular here, at least not at the present time.
I find most folks don't want that extra filling or icing as much here in Canada, so I rarely torte to get in extra. Funny thing, it is the same with sheet cakes, it isn't as popular here to torte them and fill, just icing them seems more common.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:35am
post #8 of 31

Squirrellycakes I haven't seen any of your cake pictures.. you're so knowledgeable.. I'd love to see some of your work!!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:43am
post #9 of 31

Mine depends, on the type cake etc. Sometimes a bride wants the tall thin looking tiers and I don't like trying to torte those unless I have to... too many chances of sliding or getting them uneven. I also vary depending on whether or not they want filling...the brides budget ..how formal the wedding is etc.I don't per sey gouge the ones who can afford it...but I find they EXPECT more...and therefore I am going to get my labors worth. Some brides want simple ...to the point that they don't even CARE what flavor etc...I have some pic a simple pic of a cake then tell me as far as icing etc.."you decide"! ...lol. If its a small cake and gathering and not super formal..I do 2 ..2in. for each tier with icing between layers. And I make sure it is a bargain. I guess I am not a lot of help as with me it just varies cake to cake.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:44am
post #10 of 31

Heehee, yeah, I am not good at posting pictures, am I, haha! Not good for taking them either, but I am getting better now that I have a digital. I post on www.r-bdesigns.com and that is about it. My system won't allow me to post on the Wilton site. Here, I have posted, hhmn, maybe one on a general post. I don't do sites, haha!
I rarely ever took pictures of cakes over the years, bad habit of relying on folks to give me pictures.
Hugs Squirrelly

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:44am
post #11 of 31

Yeah squirelly...let see!! icon_biggrin.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 3:00am
post #12 of 31

I broke my shoulder, a year ago December, which is how I started posting on these sites. Couldn't do much, but I could type with my other hand, haha! Funny thing is, it increased my typing speed, hence the really long posts, haha.
Anyway, I had already promised a friend of my daughter's a shower and wedding cake. The shower was the worse as I had frozen shoulder, which meant I had to do everything with one hand and arm and could only use my fingers of my other hand turned towards me in a sling. Interesting!
Well here is the shower cake I did. I managed to do the centrepieces, the sandwich and pickle trays, wedding favours too. Amazing what you can do if you made a promise.
LL

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 3:02am
post #13 of 31

This was the wedding cake for that same bride, again broken shoulder, boy did I have fun flipping cakes.
Her choice of colour and design, she wanted plain. Did the floral arrangements and painted the vase.
LL

traci Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 3:09am
post #14 of 31

SquirrellyCakes, that is really pretty! You did a great job even with a broken shoulder! It looks very unique! icon_razz.gif
traci

peacockplace Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 3:14am
post #15 of 31

I can't imagine trying to do that with only one arm! Great job!

traci Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 3:16am
post #16 of 31

You do gorgeous work!!!! thumbs_up.gif
traci

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 3:24am
post #17 of 31

Heehee, the fun part was making the fondant roses and the hand-rolled pearls. I could only use my hand turned towards me and anchored at the waist in a sling. My daughter had to help me slide the upper layers onto the lower ones, that I could not do myself. Hubby carried the boxed cakes for me at the site and my sister helped slide the cakes on the stand. But all in all, I guess I am most pleased that I was even able to do anything. I hate breaking promises, so I was very lucky! The shoulder froze up again after the wedding cake was done and I had accupuncture. Made me into a believer.
Heehee, I am still having trouble flipping cakes, I have to really think about the motion as the arm doesn't work the same anymore, some nerve damage in the hand too.
Could be lots worse!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 4:31am
post #18 of 31

Squirrelly,

I didn't know you hurt your shoulder! Hope it's getting better!! I hurt my shoulder a year ago & it flares up from time to time like right now!! I cleaned carpets last week & it started hurting again. I complained about it during the DOS. Well now it's killing me!! I know how you feel!!

Peacock,

I hate torting cakes!! I don't have a problem w/ 6, 8, 10, 12" cakes but I have horrible problems w/ anything larger then a 12".

When someone wants a torted cake I usually measure & divide 1/2 the batter for a 3" pan into 2-3" pans. Bake. Then just stack the two cakes w/ filling in the middle. That's the easiest way for me to do it!! I end up w/ a 4" cake. I have had toooo many problems w/ ruining my cakes! That's the easiest way I know how!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 12:47pm
post #19 of 31

I like the look of 4 layers. To me it looks more elegant when cut. Just my opinion.

BTW, Squirellycakes... love the cakes. I am inpressed. You did all of that with a broken shoulder thumbs_up.gif Great job and what a trooper!

peacockplace Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 1:14pm
post #20 of 31

Mchelle, how do you do your four layers??? Two 2" split and filled?

Mchelle Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:18pm
post #21 of 31

Yup, 2 inch layers torted and filled. I like the look better than just the 2 layers.

PolishMommy Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:50pm
post #22 of 31

Wow, that was with only one arm? I have enough trouble with 2. icon_smile.gif I was thinking of how to grow two extra arms! icon_smile.gif

I made a few 1/2 sheet cakes and I didn't fill those. I was afraid to break them. The best way I guess would be to do like Turtle said and bake two thinner layers.

What does everyone else do with the 1/2 sheets?

Mchelle Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 2:53pm
post #23 of 31

I bake thinner layers as well, even with the round ones. I am to scary and I can see that cake on the floor. icon_surprised.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 3:28pm
post #24 of 31

It is tricky torting bigger cakes. I tend to freeze those larger ones and torte while frozen or torte them and slide a cake board in between and then freeze them before taking them apart to fill.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 3:39pm
post #25 of 31

I never thought about freezing them before torting - I'm going to try that. You're right though, Squirrelly - I rarely get requests here in Alberta for torted/filled cakes. Usually just special requests for the decorating.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 4:06pm
post #26 of 31

It is funny how the two countries differ in some things. I have to agree the cakes do look nicer with the many layers and fillings. I guess I think of all the extra calories, haha! I think we tend to like things a bit less sweet, not much, but a bit, haha!
It is like all of the flavoured mixes and such, they test them in Canada but they don't sell well, so we have a very limited amount of flavoured mixes and puddings and such. Funny how that is.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

PolishMommy Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 7:34pm
post #27 of 31

I'll try it frozen next time, thanks for the tip! Calories, Schmalories!!!

btw, My daughter loves your avatar, squirrelly! She points and says "Quirry." She's 2.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 1:42am
post #28 of 31

Heehee, Lisa Marie found my avatar for me! Funny thing is I have three squirrel avatars on sites, all of which have been found for me by some wonderful folks!
Haha, you have to start training squirrel lovers early!
Hugs Squirrelly

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 2:56am
post #29 of 31

Squirrelly, great job on the cakes even with one arm. I could not do as well as you with both arms.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 3:10am
post #30 of 31

Kalikw, I am sure you could!
Funny thing with that cake, one tier was carrot cake, the middle one. So I have had the Wilton large cake leveller for years but had never used it. Seemed like a good time. What I learned is that when a cake has nuts and raisins in it, well it tortes better with a serrated knife. Anyway, I finally get these cakes torted, had my daughter help me slide the torted layers onto boards without breaking them, was very proud of that. Anyway, do you know what this dummy did? I was so exhausted by then, I actually put the torted tops back on the cake with the buttercream dam, but dummy here forgot to fill them. So there I was with two torted carrot cakes well stuck together with the buttercream dams and no filling, haha! So I had to get my daughter to help me pry them apart remove the top layers and fill them and make new buttercream dams. They didn't break and actually went back level, fortunately I had marked with a toothpick where the torted cuts were so I could line them up exactly, but geesh!
Heehee, sometimes we just goof up!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%