Torting A 11X15..help

Decorating By Krisy Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 12:30pm by JoJo40

Krisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krisy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 13

I've searched to get some help...(and did)

BUT,

I'm curious do you just make one "slice" or do you do more then one. I've never torted a "sheet" cake before.

TIA!

12 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 13

It really depends on how high your cake is or how much you want to torte. For a 3" high cake, I'd torte it once, meaning 1.5" high for each layer. For a 4" high cake, I'd bake two 2" high cakes. Fill in between to avoid torting. Some people would torte their 2 inch cakes to have 4 layers. HTH.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 13

for sheet cakes, i make one 2 inch layer and torte that, so thats 2- 1inch layers.

Krisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krisy Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 13

thumbs_up.gif Thank You very much!! thumbs_up.gif

KristasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasCakes Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 13

Along the same lines....are there any tricks on placing the top portion of the cake on the bottom, after the filling? With sheet cakes, I have a hard time getting the top half centered. I also run into the cake cracking when trying to center it back on. Any help would be great!

sheri67nc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheri67nc Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 13

I use a large cookie sheet to replace my top after filling the bottom. HTH

Sherry

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 13

I have heard that people put it on a cake board and kind of shimmy it off onto the other cake. I have never torted one that large though. Good luck!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 13

I just use a cake board to take the layer off and put back on. I can't find a cookie sheet with one side. I'm sure it's probably easier that way. For the larger sheet 12x18 I cut the top layer in 1/2 after I torte it and use the bottom of my cheesecake pans to lift off and on.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 13

wilton makes a cookie sheet cake w/ one side that is large enough to handle and 12x18 sheet.

I use mine all the time -- prefer it to cakeboard in part as it has a smoother edge than cardboard cakeboard and therefore easier to slip into the cake and less chance of tearing.

HINT (works on cakeboard or cookie sheet) -- dust w/ powdered sugar to make easier to slip on an off.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for the info Doug, I'll have to look into that.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 2:39am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisy

I've searched to get some help...(and did)

BUT,

I'm curious do you just make one "slice" or do you do more then one. I've never torted a "sheet" cake before.

TIA!

Also, if you are not that confident with moving the layers without breaking or tearing them, freeze the cake a bit so its easier to move. (You don't need the layers rock solid). A lot of decorators use this method.

KristasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasCakes Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:47am
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the tips! I'll certainly give them each a try!

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 12:30pm
post #13 of 13

In our bakery, we use cake boards in the nearest size to the cake. Never had a problem. You tort the cake, slip in the board, set the layer off to the side, fill the cake, hold the board over the bottom layer, gently nudge the layer onto the bottom layer. Doug's hint is a good one I'll keep in mind if I run into the situation where the top layer is a little sticky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%