My Website.......

Lounge By spottydog Updated 11 Sep 2006 , 12:21pm by spottydog

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 12:53am
post #1 of 35

Need some serious help on this. Next week I will be legal!!!! YAY Has anyone used the microsoft live free website???? So far I have the basic down...but can't help to think there is so much missing! Please any input is appriciated. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

http://krazykakesbylisa.com/default.aspx

34 replies
spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:09am
post #2 of 35

Anyone? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:15am
post #3 of 35

Lisa,
I have been viewing your site, and it is really fabulous! Are you planning to put any kind of prices for your cakes on the site?

SilkwoodStudios Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilkwoodStudios Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:18am
post #4 of 35

looking good to me so far, i also am currently building my free site, with freeweb though, im diggin the microsoft though, too early to tell if you like it or not?
interested in any feedback you get, i have looked at a zillion sites and tried to make notes of what i would like , now my mind blank too, good luck!

spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:20am
post #5 of 35

Actually Yes I want to put prices.....just waiting for the "official" legal permit. wink wink. Thanks for your input. I am going to look around for a good format to include prices.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:21am
post #6 of 35

I love you site - it looks fabulous! I don't think you are missing anything except maybe prices like shortNsweet said. Your cakes are amazing - good luck in your business I know you will get tons!!!!

icon_smile.gif

shortNsweet Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:22am
post #7 of 35

I hope your site brings you lots of luck and lots of orders! Your cakes really DO look beautiful!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:25am
post #8 of 35

yes that website is really really nice! and congratulations on becoming "legal"!

spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:25am
post #9 of 35

Thanks everyone. So far the only thing I do not like is I cannot seem to get a photo gallery. It only offers slideshows. icon_sad.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:29am
post #10 of 35

great site that I could see in IE but....

n FireFox your cake photos didn't show.

shortNsweet Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:29am
post #11 of 35

Lisa,
That's the thing I loved MOST about it! I actually think the slide show is nicer, and more professional looking then a photo gallery.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:31am
post #12 of 35

Looks great Lisa...good luck with it. Your cakes look great!

Just wondering what program you are using to soft edge your photos?

spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:34am
post #13 of 35

Christa, I use photo explsion deluxe for my photos

Doug, Thanks...good to know. I will have to look into that!

shortNsweet, Thanks!!! I like the slide shows but wondering if people will sit there and watch them.

shortNsweet Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:40am
post #14 of 35

Lisa,
I have NO life!...I found it a form of entertainment for my Saturday night!...LOL...oh, man...how pathetic!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:41am
post #15 of 35

Gorgeous cakes! I love the bridal gown cake! Beautiful!
I think it was under fillings, you list "twinky like." Did you mean "Twinkie"? If so, do you have to add a registered or trade mark symbol?
Everything looks great!

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:42am
post #16 of 35

Wow, you have done a great job with this !!! I think you should have your name in a bigger, bolder color though (really) !!!! It would stand out more.

Good job. You go girl !!!

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:47am
post #17 of 35

I found an oopsy... you spelled Bachelor wrong : ) .

Also, I can't get the slideshow to work at all. It maybe because i'm on a MAC???

And lastly...I, too, am from MA and would love to know how you went about becoming legal...it's ok if you're not comfortable sharing ; )

luv2giggls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2giggls Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:47am
post #18 of 35

Just checked out your website. Looks great!! You will do good! Very cute cakes!!!!

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:47am
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

great site that I could see in IE but....

n FireFox your cake photos didn't show.

ditto icon_cry.gif

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:57am
post #20 of 35

Bachelorette is also mispelled. Your website does look very nice. And I really do like the slide show.

spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:00pm
post #21 of 35

Lsawler....I have been trying to figure that exact thing out. That is why I spelt it differently. It has been such a hit with everyone...thinking of changing the name all together but then no one would know that was the flavor. Thanks though!!

shortNsweet.....you are too funny....and I am right there with ya!LOL

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:58pm
post #22 of 35

I'm also on a Mac, I tried with Fire Fox and Safari and the slideshows won't work on either icon_sad.gif

I love the square glitterys at the top, but I think your name should be bigger for sure - make it pop off really well.

Without seeing how the slideshows work though, I like the clean design without a bunch of clutter that you have there! I think it's going to be great!

Good Luck!

spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 5:22pm
post #23 of 35

Thanks for the spell check!!!! Seriously!! LOL It's a wonder I made it through high school. I need to go fix it. Redsoxgirl - absolutely I will share. Not sure where exactly you are I know it varies by the town. Throw any ??? my way! icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 5:24pm
post #24 of 35

The slide show is a microsoft product that will work with Explorer- the commands will not be recognized by other browsers. I haven't kept up Web Creation but that used to be a common problem-making sure a something worked with all common browser. You may need a java script that is universally recognized or a Flash program for the slide show. The other possibility is inserting an alternate gallery for people using something other than IE. I used to do that for browsers that didn't accept frames. You might want to include a contract page in addition to pricing. Also a larger font for your title.

This last is just a personal thing , I don't like using masks on cake photo's the blurry edges drive me crazy now--- Yeah, yeah I went through a phase of masking everything. It's very cool at first.

spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 5:31pm
post #25 of 35

Narie...thanks. May I ask why you don't like the borders on photos? just curious??I am thinking of actually not using this site for a web site. For some reason everytime I go to change something (font size on home pagetitle) it will not offer a choice.
Hmmmm any suggestions to other free websites??? Also I would need to transfer my htpp address??? Now I am upset and really should've shopped around. This will teach me to rush through things!!

spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 5:34pm
post #26 of 35

Redsoxgirl.......I LOVE your website! great job!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 8:33pm
post #27 of 35

The borders on photos...humn.. I think it basically because the whole process reduces clarity of the photo; and, particularly on a cake, I want to see the fine details. You lose enough with the limited resolution of the web to start with - any more for artistic impression is too much for me.

OK, where should you go for a free web site? What does your ISP offer you? (Translation whom do you pay each month for Internet service?) Many offer very nice web spaces as part of their subscription service.

I checked your source code and the reason you can't change the font or size is that they have it coded as h1 to h5 so you are locked in. If possible change the color, something that will jump out like red.

Oh, phoo on having jumped in too soon. You have a web site up and running. That is good. It is nice clean site. Most people use IE as their browser, I don't know what the proportion is any more but it was huge. You don't have any annoying spiders be bobbing around or music that goes on and on and on.... Two tempting tricks for novice web designers. I used to plant the spider and music in work pages I gave my web students. it usually took about 5 mins in the lab and someone would start hollering about killing that d*** spider. Which is how I taught them to be very careful of animations and looping in general. As far as changing your address (http)- when you get a new site set up, just put in a jump link, no problem.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 8:56pm
post #28 of 35

Hey Spotty, love your site, it is so beautiful. Yes, I agree with everyone else that you should increase the font size of your name...strut your stuff girl! The only other thing is under cakes for all accasions...you have pluraled everything except weddings and christenings...just a thought. Great job and I am SO proud of you!

Sams

spottydog Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 9:16pm
post #29 of 35

Thankyou so much Narie.....I love this place. It's like there is always someone here with answers or advice!

Sams!!!! Thanks. YAY icon_smile.gif

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 9:47pm
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Quote:

Christa, I use photo explsion deluxe for my photos

Thanks spottydog. I have Picture It 7 but it creates more of a soft edge box frame and I like yours better...

Quote:
Quote:

The borders on photos...humn.. I think it basically because the whole process reduces clarity of the photo; and, particularly on a cake, I want to see the fine details.

ha you're probably right about that Narie, and in my own case that's a good thing lol...(I'm a beginner)... thanks for pointing that out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%