Are You Self Taught?

Decorating By majormichel Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm by Brandonsmommy

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:16pm
post #61 of 67

ok, self taught except for sis in law showing my the initial star point method which got the crazw going and then and went to wilton 1,2,3... everything else, 3D, airbrush, I learned on CC icon_smile.gif

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:08pm
post #62 of 67

Another self taught decorator.
I was always the designated cake icer when cakes were made at home. I just took a table knife and made swirls, dips and spikes. Sometimes I took the old fashion liquid food colors and again just made designs with table or kitchen knives--like a painter using a pallete knife. Did this for years!
Then I married my wonderful hubby and aquired a wonderfull MIL! She made cakes as a second job and had allot of the Wilton stuff. I had never even heard of Wilton until then. That was 26 years ago! She taught me how to make roses and what all the other tips did. When my 2 sons came along I bought pans, tips--all the gadgets and started making thier cakes. From there, like most of you, I started making cakes for family and friends. Now I have 3 grandchildren so 'Oma' makes cakes for them too.
Since I have always worked a full time job, it has just been the past few months that I have seriously started thinking of making it more that a hobby---I quit my full time job!! Since April I have been a "stay-at-home-person"! Yippee. First time since I was 18 that I haven't had a 40 hr/week job! DH is very supportive and encouraging about this cake stuff so when I have those guilty feelings for not "working" he's there to squash them.
Back on the subject. I did just finish all 3 Wilton classes thinking there were probably faster or easier ways of doing some things.
Course 1 was so basic it was boring. Course 2 was a little better-never had made or used royal icing or color flow, so that was fun. Coure 3--covered a cake in fondant for the first time--what fun!! We learned to make alot of flowers I hadn't done before,too. Our instructor had taken classes from Bronwen Weber so she had alot to offer.
This site has been a windfall of information! I learned better ways to stack cakes, transport cakes, recipes, how-to's --endless list of help. Plus, forums like this one--just plain ole good conversation with fellow bakers.
Sorry, didn't mean to write a book--just love CC!!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:26pm
post #63 of 67

I am self -taught. I always loved baking and my DH encouraged me into cake decoration.I still have so much to learn.

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #64 of 67

I taught myself how to decorate cakes for 9 years, untill I took a sugarcraft class in september. Because I have kids I always had problems fitting a course in around them, but now i do an evening class and have just completed and passed my first year. icon_biggrin.gif Among learning new things, I've made new friends, and have a social life again.. icon_biggrin.gif

cory_jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cory_jo Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 8:52pm
post #65 of 67

self taught..... and still picking up stuff i learn alot from my mistakes and in general i am a hands on learner so i guess it all goes hand in hand

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:10pm
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

jouj, i looked at your photos, and can i just say that for not having access to many decorating things, you have been very resourceful and come up with some really nice, colorful pieces of art icon_smile.gif way to go.

Thanks a lot, your words are such an encouragement. I owe it to CC members for the great ideas and the help they gave me. icon_smile.gif

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #67 of 67

self teaching icon_smile.gif I am going to take the Wilton Class this fall with my neighbor. I have only worked with buttercream icing. Fondant scares me!! hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%