Silver Tiara

Decorating By joelni Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 3:25pm by leah_s

joelni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joelni Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 6:57am
post #1 of 8

I am about to make my first Royal Icing tiara. My friend has requested that it be silver. Would I tint the RI grey/blue first before painting it with silver lustre dust, or just pipe it in white and then use the dust.
Thanks for any hints or ideas.

7 replies
disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:08am
post #2 of 8

if you want it to look silver then yes you would want to tint the RI grey first, if you just want a shimmer/glimmer of silver then leave it white..

Hope this helps..

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:09am
post #3 of 8

I think doing it in grayish blue first would work well, but since I've never done it before it's just my opinion/educated guess.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 8

I would make the RI in white and once dried mix vodka or lemon extract with the luster dust and paint it on. I get the shiniest results with the wet luster dust.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 8

There's also a new silver glaze that's quite lovely. I get it from Bakery Crafts.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 8

I used buttercream to draw the scrolls on my wedding cake (in my photos), then I just painted the silver right on top of it. The buttercream was white, and it still came out to a very shiny silver.

Also, the gold painted in the other cake was done on top of purple fondant, and chocolate canned frosting for the lettering. You can barely see any color at all underneath.

Hope this helps

Holly

***edit*** I had mixed the silver and gold dusts with lemon extract to make them into a paint, before using.

joelni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joelni Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

There's also a new silver glaze that's quite lovely. I get it from Bakery Crafts.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. Is the silver glaze in liquid/gel form? It looks like a great option.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 8

The glaze is just like a wall paint glaze--a thick liquid. For some reason it smells like mint.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%