Save Money On Gumpaste!!!

Decorating By diane Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 4:08am by miriel

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 26

for those of you who don't want to spend money on gumpaste...i just made my own batch of it from a book i've had for several years, but haven't taken the time to try some of the recipes. well, i tried the gumpaste recipe, and it's fantastic!!!! icon_eek.gif i love working with this stuff...and it saved me a ton of money. here is the recipe if anyone wants to try it. let me know how you like it?? icon_biggrin.gif

this stuff is like pie dough! icon_eek.gif

1/4 c. water
1 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 TBS. corn syrup
1lb. powdered sugar(that's 4 cups)

mix water and gelatin until dissolved. heat on medium heat for 1 minute and wisk continuously, (for mixture will scorch). add corn syrup and mix until blended. remove from heat. in a bowl add p. sugar. pour liquid mixture into sugar a little at a time while mixing. knead onto cornstarched surface.

25 replies
Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 26

I will try that. I think Gumpaste is so over priced but then I've only used Wilton. Thanks for sharing.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 26

thanks for sharing!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 26

Hey thanks for posting the recipe! I even have all of those things in my kitchen right now.

diane Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 26

go for it!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 26

Thank you so much for giving us your recipe. I'll pass it along to my fondant class students, (who complained last night of the gumpaste price). Thank you, thank you, thank you.

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 26

Thanks for sharing. I love that all the ingrediants are things I have already.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 26

That is all there is too it? Ugh. Thanks for posting.

Kajsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kajsa Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 26

Maybe I am totally wrong.. but don't you need gum tragacanth or CMC to make gumpaste?

diane Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 26

i just did...so, maybe you need to give this recipe a try. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajsa

Maybe I am totally wrong.. but don't you need gum tragacanth or CMC to make gumpaste?

Hmmm....

Someone test it and let us know how it holds up.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 26

Yah, all the recipes I have calls for either gum trag or tylose powder. Ive also made this recipe several times and no matter what I do it doesnt come out like the way I want it to. I prefer to use the Satin Ice premade. It is so much better to work with!

diane Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 26

i didn't make this recipe up. i got it out of a cake decorating book. icon_cool.gif
there's also another recipe here that doesn't use that gum thingy either!

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:57pm
post #14 of 26

Not sure if it's the same exacty, I don't have it in front of me right now but, if I recall, it seems to be a Toba Garrett recipe for Fondant.

diane Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 7:05pm
post #15 of 26

the book i have is not by toba garrett...but if she has one like this then maybe that's a good thing!
i just thought i'd share this with everyone. if you don't like it...well, just use what you've been using. i'm not trying to corner the market with this, just thought i'd share! icon_cry.gif

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 7:09pm
post #16 of 26

Well, thanks for sharing!! It looks like it should be good for molding. Wonder how well it dries...?

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 7:16pm
post #17 of 26

Anxious also to hear how this dries. I'm getting ready to make a ball cap and wonder if this would work for the brim.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 7:17pm
post #18 of 26

So Sorry, honestly, I wasn't trying to be rude. I just thought I had tried this recipes before and remembered it being called Fondant.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 26

No disrespect here, but in all honesty, no matter what it's called in the book, the recipe really is more of a fondant than a true gum paste.

Without a drying agent like gum-tex, tylose, gum trag, or CMC, although this will dry over time, it will not dry as quickly, completely, hard, or sturdy, as a recipe with a gum (drying agent) in it. Without a drying agent, it will be prone to absorbing and not releasing moisture, so in humid conditions, it may never get really hard--or stay hard.

No harm to try it without a gum additive for a variety of decorations, but I wouldn't recommend it for larger flowers or heavy modeled figures. For other applications, I'd just add one of the above gums icon_wink.gif

JMHO
Rae

Wiltonlady Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 8:54pm
post #20 of 26

Thank you again for sharing. At 9.00 a package for Wilton Gumpaste, I'm willing to try it.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #21 of 26

bump

diane Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:04am
post #22 of 26

i worked with it a bit today and added some cornstarch to it...well this stuff got too hard, which i didn't like. i put it in the microwave every time i wanted it soft and then rolled it out onto cornstarch. maybe that was the reason. anyway, i think if you want this stuff to dry hard, try rolling it out in cornstarch every time.

Wiltonlady Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:16pm
post #23 of 26

It's kind of humid here today, yesterday, the day before. The reason I'm saying that is because I made a couple of baby shoes Friday with gumpaste and it's still semi-soft. So, if it does work or get hard for that matter, I'm willing to try it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:12am
post #24 of 26

Yep, cornstarch is a natural drying agent, so changing the ratio of wet to dry with it will make it dry more quickly, but it may be more brittle, too. Too much nuking will also continue to dry it. In this case, with enough cornstarch, it may actually be cooking the mixture.

You may be able to soften it up a bit by adding more water, some watered down corn syrup, or a bit of crisco.

Rae

SweetObsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetObsession Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

for those of you who don't want to spend money on gumpaste...i just made my own batch of it from a book i've had for several years, but haven't taken the time to try some of the recipes. well, i tried the gumpaste recipe, and it's fantastic!!!! icon_eek.gif i love working with this stuff...and it saved me a ton of money. here is the recipe if anyone wants to try it. let me know how you like it?? icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting this, diane. icon_smile.gif It was only a few hours ago at a craft store that I put the canister of gum paste mix back on the shelf. I've never worked with it before and didn't want to spend that much just to see what it was like. I just happen to have all the ingredients lying around and can't wait to try it!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:08am
post #26 of 26

Diane's looks very similar to the pastillage recipe that I use - Instead of corn syrup, I use glucose, and add some lemon juice for part of the water called for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%