post #61 of 79

Kelleygirl -

James McNair's Cakes
By James McNair

Theresa icon_smile.gif

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:47am
post #62 of 79

Ok, here are some more IMBC tips. I am sure there are other ways, but this is what has worked for me and its pretty foolproof.

1. If there is even the slightest trace of fat in your mixing bowl or whisk, your egg whites will not beat up properly. I use Julia Childs recommendation: add white vinegar and salt to your clean, dry, KA bowl. I use about a teaspoon or more of salt and about two tablespoons of vinegar. I then take a paper towel and scrub it really well, then rinse and dry. Do the same with your whisk and any other container you might use (for example, when breaking eggs, I break them into a small bowl used only for this purpose). No need to do that to the flat beater, though.

2. When separating out your eggs, make sure that not a single drop or trace of egg yolk mixes with your egg whites. I recommend breaking and separating out the eggs into a separate container so that if the yolk breaks, you can discard just that one and it won't cause you to lose the other ones you've already separated out. If the yolk should break into the whites, discard the whole thing. Use step 1 to wash down this container. Separate out your yolks and egg whites one by one, and then add whites to your mixing bowl before separating the next one. (I learned this the hard way!)

3. Make sure you eggs are at room temperature. If not, just place them in a bowl and add warm water. Let this sit for a few minutes and then check them. Not too hot, or they'll cook! It is easier for me to separate my eggs when the eggs are colder. If you do this, just cover the bowl with your egg whites and give them a little time to come to room temperature. It won't take long. Your butter should also be at room temperature - not too soft, not too hard. When I dont have time to wait on cold butter to warm up, I sit them under the light under my kitchen hood. I actually have a microwave there, but it has two lights underneath it. I sit the sticks of butter on top of something tall, and the butter warms up slowly, but much faster than just sitting on the counter. It usually warms up in about 15 minutes.

4. Use a thermometer when cooking the sugar. It should reach a temperature of 248 to 250 degrees. I use a small Teflon coated saucepan. When it comes time to add the sugar, it slides right out leaving very little left in the pot. A spout on the side is ideal, but not necessary. Mine doesnt have it and it works just fine, but if I can find one with a spout

5. VERY IMPORTANT...when adding the hot sugar to the meringue, do not let the syrup touch the moving wire whisk. It took me a few tries. Try to pour the sugar into the small space between the side of the bowl and moving whisk. I recommend reducing the speed until you get the hang of it. Start off by pouring slowly until you can get it into the right spot. I wouldn't stop the mixer completely otherwise the syrup will settle at the bottom of the bowl and won't blend in as well. I've tried this and it didn't work as well as just reducing the speed. Once you add all the sugar (which you must do rather quickly but steadily), increase the speed to 8 or 10.

6. Beat the meringue until it has cooled. The meringue will start to rise up to the top of the beater. When this happens, just reduce the speed a little so it doesn't start coming up out of it (and it will, believe me!). I place both hands on the bowl to get an idea of the temperature. I used to use a thermometer, but with practice, the hands work just as well for me.

7. Once cooled, change the whisk to the flat beater. Add the butter very slowly, one piece at a time. I normally add a sixth of a stick at a time. Make sure it's completely blended and there are no visible traces in the meringue before you add the next piece. You can also blend all the butter together in a separate bowl and then add it a little bit at a time. I've done it both ways and don't see much of a difference (unless your butter isn't the right temperature and could use a little extra beating).

8. The minute you add the first piece of butter, the tall mound of meringue will immediately deflate. As you add more butter, you will begin to see the creamy texture. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't look right once youve added all your butter. It may appear very curdled towards the last additions, and this is when you think you've done something wrong. This is normal!!! Keep beating it. Like magic, this curdled mess will turn into a luxurious and satiny IMBC. Add vanilla or flavoring of your choice. This is also when you'd add the melted chocolate or Nutella, for example. If using chocolate or Nutella, omit the vanilla. Make sure you soften up these additions and they are at room temperature before adding.

9. To test the temperature of chocolate before adding (this tip was given to me by a pastry chef friend), take a little bit of the melted chocolate and place on the tip of your finger. Touch your finger to the area of your face just below your lower lip. You should not be able to feel the chocolate touching your skin - hot or cold. It should be the same temperature as your own body. Thats when it's the right temperature to add to the IMBC.

10. If your IMBC is too soft, here's a tip...I bought a large gel pack (the kind you can freeze and is used for sore muscles or injuries) at Walmart for about $9. It's about 10 x 8 inches. I used to place this in the freezer and let it harden. It never gets stiff like a board since its gel, but it chills to freezing temperature and remains flexible. I would place this in the gap between my bowl and the bottom of the mixer (I have a lift bowl model) and kept the mixer going. This would help the mixture stiffen up some. As soon as it firms up, remove it. You can also use a larger bowl filled with ice water. Just sit your mixing bowl right into the larger one and let it cool some, then remix.

11. If your IMBC is too lumpy, keep mixing it. I promise you it will eventually come together. If you are freaking out (like I first did when I started making it), get out your trusted blow dryer and turn it on high. Hold it up against the bowl, but not for very long. It will warm the bowl and smooth out your BC. In pastry school, they use blow torches. Go figure.

Good luck with your IMBC! If I can do it, anyone can!!!!

Best wishes,
Ginger

DesignerCakes Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:56am
post #63 of 79

Yorkiemum,

No, IMBC is not at all sweet like regular buttercreams. A batch of IMBC only contains 1 cup (based on Rose Levy Berenbaum's recipe), to 1 pound of butter, which is not much sugar at all.

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:35pm
post #64 of 79

Thanks Gingerela. I need to try it tonight. I have to get away from the Wilton buttercream. It gets boring although a lot of people really like it.

janabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janabear Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:52am
post #65 of 79

well,
tried it
screwed it up
dumped it out
swore alot

my meringue was huge. the syrup was a perfect 249. butter was room temp but not too warm.
everything was great until i added the butter. i was sure the meringue was cool enough. i even tested it with my finger.
i had added about half the butter when i quit. the meringue totally deflated and became soup.

i didnt want to waste any more butter as it so $$ here.
i should have stuck the butter in the fridge a bit like shirleyw said and also my meringue must have been too warm even if it didnt feel like it

grrrrr! hope it works next time
i used pasturized egg whites. and i am not positive they were room temp when i started.

i will try again another time. thanks for all the tips. its really one of those things that i would like to see first hand!

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:57am
post #66 of 79

I'm sorry it didn't work for you Janabear. I didn't bring the whites to room temp so that wasn't your problem. I beat those whites until the bowl they were in was totally cool. Try it again but let the bowl totally cool down. That way the butter won't melt. I then added choc and it is too good. I ate the stuff with a spoon. I'm addicted to whipped ganache but this is a real close second.
Good luck on the next batch. I was scared to death it wouldn't work but it did.

Fiddlegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fiddlegirl Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:06pm
post #67 of 79

Gingerela,

will the tips you posted about IMBC work for Swiss Meringue Buttercream?

Thanks,

Tweety icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 12:26am
post #68 of 79

Gingerela, thanks for all the great tips!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:44am
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by janabear

well,
tried it
screwed it up
dumped it out
swore alot

>>i had added about half the butter when i quit. the meringue totally deflated and became soup.

>>i should have stuck the butter in the fridge a bit like shirleyw said and also my meringue must have been too warm even if it didnt feel like it

Ooh I am so sorry to hear of your frustrating IMBC experience. Please try again, and know that you CAN chill it while whipping if it has become soup. I literally did this 1 month ago - it broke down into complete liquid stage, you could have drunk it through a straw. I got two bags of frozen peas (didn't have Gingerela's gel pack!) and moved them around the bowl as I continued to beat. And beat. And suddenly, the clouds parted, the angels sang, and lo, my icing became perfect. I was in shock. I knew about warming it if it curdled, but I'd thought it was "irreparable" if it completely collapsed. Not so! I used it to ice a baby shower cake and no one ever knew of my near-tragedy.

Gingerela your tips are awesome!!

Also for anyone interested in tips on smoothing IMBC, read all of ShirleyW and Antonia74's great info on page two of this thread: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=15

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:10pm
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Is IMBC Italian Meringue Buttercream? (I'm not up on all of the acronyms). If so, it tastes fabulous. However, you would not be able to cover it with fondant. It is much too soft.

Even if you chilled the frosted cake, once it comes to room temperature, then you will have all kinds of possible issues. The thawing frosting will have condensation which can cause air pockets in your fondant. If that didn't happen, then there is a high possibility of the IMBC melting and oozing out from underneath the fondant. It would definitely make a mess when cutting.

Save the IMBC for special wedding cakes when the customers does not like fondant but does not mind paying the price for a silky, delicious frosting.

HTH

Michele

I use it as the base icing under 100% of my fondant cakes. Never had a single problem at all. icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:13pm
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by janabear

well,
tried it
screwed it up
dumped it out
swore alot

my meringue was huge. the syrup was a perfect 249. butter was room temp but not too warm.
everything was great until i added the butter. i was sure the meringue was cool enough. i even tested it with my finger.
i had added about half the butter when i quit. the meringue totally deflated and became soup.

i didnt want to waste any more butter as it so $$ here.
i should have stuck the butter in the fridge a bit like shirleyw said and also my meringue must have been too warm even if it didnt feel like it

grrrrr! hope it works next time
i used pasturized egg whites. and i am not positive they were room temp when i started.

i will try again another time. thanks for all the tips. its really one of those things that i would like to see first hand!

IT WAS RIGHT!! It "comes together" after about 3/4 of the butter is added!! Oh, I'm so sorry you threw it out. After you start to add the butter, it turns very liquid and then it comes back into a thicker icing after all the butter is in!! Keep trying...it sounds like you were on your way to the perfect icing!!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:22pm
post #72 of 79

ooh darn!! i wish i would have seen this before.
i had the same thing happen to me. I use Shirley's recipe. And i have read a few posts on IMBC here. That too happened to me and i put the whole thing in the fridge including the paddle and let it cool for a bit. Took it back out and when at it.. it turned out wonderful!! next time if this happens don't give up. It took me what seemed hours to get it done. But first i'm very impatient and second i had no idea what i was doing. but it still worked!
at times like this i wish we had a decorator's group in our area we could call and reach out to.
I have been in touch with another member. I'm not very experienced but when she has a question she calls me or IM's me. im happy to help with what i can. If i don't know the answer and i'm near the PC i look it up fast.

I hope you have better luck next time. and i hear you on giving up not wanting to waste more $$ and supplies. that's why i didn't dump mine.

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 10 Aug 2007 , 11:28pm
post #73 of 79

Okay, I HAD to make this because of all the hoopla around here, LOL! I used DeDe Wilson's recipe and I have to say...none of my family was impressed, including me. We are in love with The Whimsical Bakehouse's House Buttercream. (and their chocolate butter cake recipe with oreo mousse filling!)

My father in law said it didn't have much flavor or sweetness at all. My husband said it "doesn't even come close" to my regular frosting. I guess I'm glad none of us liked it, cuz it's a lot more work!

Do try it though, you might love it.

Happy Day,
Steph

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 9:29pm
post #74 of 79

Jana,
Here is my latest cake. So is IMBC worth it? For me the answer is yes, I could never get a cake this smooth with powdered sugar based buttercream.
LL

ShirleyW Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 9:31pm
post #75 of 79

And the top tier and gumpaste shells.
LL

DesignerCakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:42am
post #76 of 79

WOW, SHIRLEY!!! OMG that cake is smoothed to perfection!!! I wish I could smooth a cake like that with IMBC. I am drooling!!

I can make IMBC with my eyes closed, but could never ice a cake as smoothly and as beautifully as you. I am so impressed. If you ever need an apprentice to wash your cake pans, mop the floor, etc., let me know!! LOL.

ShirleyW Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:28am
post #77 of 79

Hi Gnger,
JaneK uses SMBC where I use IMBC, but she does a beautiful job icing with this method and after her sons wedding in October she has promised to do a tutorial.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #78 of 79

I am off to try IBMC.... so many tips... thank you!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #79 of 79

I am off to try IBMC.... so many tips... thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%