Oh How Rude!!

Decorating By aine2 Updated 14 Jul 2007 , 2:38pm by Evone

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 23

You know, I never complain about customers or say a bad word but today I got an e-mail that just rubbed me up the wrong way entirely. It began: "My husband I came to your shop today, didn't realise we had to make an appointment!! Perhaps you could mention this on your website as we looked and could not see opening times." And then she went on to say how great my cakes were and how she would like me to make one for the end of August, but I'm afraid I was still reeling from the cheeky manner of her opening words. First of all I have a Studio and not a shop....there is a difference. I don't sell anything off the shelf, I consult with clients. That's a Studio isn't it? Perhaps I am being too sensitive tonight....I have been unwell for a couple of days so I may need to chill out a little before reacting. Anyhow, I sent a reply along with a link to my "Find Me" page on my website which clearly states when I am available. I also have an availability calendar so that people can check if the date they want is free. Thankfully I wasn't available for her order anyway but I think I may have told her this even if I found that I was. I can't work with "rude". Creativity needs to flow and not be hindered by someone who I feel I might never have been able to please no matter what I did!

I'm finished now...sorry. Unlike me I know. I'll be better tomorrow! icon_sad.gif

22 replies
dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 23

sorry your feeling down. There seems to be a lot of rude going around. Smile, your a genius and we love you!!

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 23

People just amaze me sometimes.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 23

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Actually, I don't think this email is rude at all. She just misunderstood how you do business. She didn't sound snotty to me, and I'm uber-sensitive. I think, for a person who was annoyed by making a useless trip (due to her own stupidity or not), she was quite polite.

I do hope you start feeling better soon!

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:57am
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

Smile, you're a genius and we love you!!

Yea!

aine2 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:01am
post #6 of 23

Whenever I see an exclamation mark used liked this I think of "complaint". There were two used in this instance. To follow that with telling me what information I should have on my website kind of annoyed me that I would be so silly in the first instance not to inform people of my hours of business or the way I work. I have SO much information on my website, even more on my blog and I have My Space too. If she had said "I looked on your website for your opening hours but could not find them" then I would have been less offended. Maybe it is just a bad day. It's done now and maybe when I feel better I will see it with a different perspective. It just made me realise that you really can't please everybody all of the time....as long as I manage to please some then I am more than happy with that.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:15am
post #7 of 23

Lorraine I hear you! It would have been one thing for her to whinge if your hours weren't listed, but as they were I would be annoyed at her too!
I get quite a few phonecalls (always at the WORST possible time) and they always ask something that is clearly stated on the website.
I think people are getting so lazy for everything to be QUICK, that if they can't see it straight away, they don't bother checking the other website pages for it.
I think it could be the week for rude, as I always send email confirmations and today's customer said "no I'm not giving you my work email", even though it is with the information about HER cake. Goodness I thought, a little rude! It's not spam, it's a confirmation of names, colours chosen etc.

Customers, can't work without em, but they sure can be a Pain in the butt! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aine2

Whenever I see an exclamation mark used liked this I think of "complaint". There were two used in this instance. To follow that with telling me what information I should have on my website kind of annoyed me that I would be so silly in the first instance not to inform people of my hours of business or the way I work. I have SO much information on my website, even more on my blog and I have My Space too. If she had said "I looked on your website for your opening hours but could not find them" then I would have been less offended. Maybe it is just a bad day. It's done now and maybe when I feel better I will see it with a different perspective. It just made me realise that you really can't please everybody all of the time....as long as I manage to please some then I am more than happy with that.

Yes, she was absolutely being rude, no question in my mind. That's not the way you "open" your line of conversation with someone you would like to make something for you. Cheer up and I hope you're feeling better soon! I LOVE your work....and yes, if I saw "STUDIO" associated with a cake shop/bakery, I would think it may be by appt only and call first....especially after viewing your work! But, then again, people don't know the time/work that goes into them!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 23

My dearest SPL, there are too many wonderful people to do business with so don't waste time stressing your talented fingers on your keyboard. Life is good and your cakes are gorgeous!!! <--- with an exclamation point icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by keira

I think it could be the week for rude, as I always send email confirmations and today's customer said "no I'm not giving you my work email", even though it is with the information about HER cake. Goodness I thought, a little rude! It's not spam, it's a confirmation of names, colours chosen etc.

Customers, can't work without em, but they sure can be a Pain in the butt! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gif

Well okay, so she didn't want to give you her work email. I mean, we all know that you secretly just wanted to use it in your ultimate plot to take over the world, but....Did she not have a personal email she could give you? People can be such rude nimrods sometimes!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 23

I don't think you were over reacting. She was rude and yes exclamations !!!!!! are a form of yelling. People can be so demanding. Hope your day is better today.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:51pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aine2

Yes, she was absolutely being rude, no question in my mind. That's not the way you "open" your line of conversation with someone you would like to make something for you. Cheer up and I hope you're feeling better soon! I LOVE your work....and yes, if I saw "STUDIO" associated with a cake shop/bakery, I would think it may be by appt only and call first....especially after viewing your work! But, then again, people don't know the time/work that goes into them!

I agree Cambo!! I also think she was rude!!

On my website I have a calendar of when I am open, available, etc. It clearly states that I am closed on Sunday and Monday (and so does the sign on the front door AND my voicemail message!!). I have had customers call at 9 o'clock Saturday night or 11 a.m. on Sunday morning. I return their calls on Tuesday when I "reopen," as I have finally learned that I have to have a couple of days where I am not talking about cake with customers. I have had a couple of people get snotty that their call was not returned in a timely manner! After the attitude, I am usually suddenly booked for their date!! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:59pm
post #13 of 23

I read this to my hubby and since he works in customer contact, he burst out laughing at what an idiot this person was.

Let's see ..... I drive out to any store only to find they are closed and I am ticked because it's YOUR responsibility to tell ME what time you are open. Because obviously you should be open when *I* decide to be there, not necessarily when YOU determine what your hours should be.

People are idiots. And they're allowed to drive, vote and pro-create.

coolmawmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmawmy Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 23

OMG! Yes she was rude!
Oh, and about !'s, I know I am SO not proper when it comes to them because I use them ALL the time! lol A . is just boring to me and an ! is so much more fun! lol But it your case, yes I think she was trying to get her point across that you should be open when she wants you to. lol

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 23

I would give her the benefit of the doubt. That's the problem with the written word...it often comes across differently than was intended.

Julie

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 23

Does this "cheeky" couple not realize who you are???!!! I mean, Lorraine, there are thousands of people here on CC who would like to knock their silly heads together!!! And then say:
1. You lucky bas#@%!!!! To be in Scotland already and able to drive to Lorraine's studio!!!
2. You're able to HOPE to get on her busy schedule
3. We here in the states and all over the globe would kill to just visit her---with an appointment---- let alone order a cake. Or ONE fondant figure, for that matter.
4. There are cakes. And then there are LORRAINE's cakes!!! HELLO!

SHEESH----Let all of us e-mail them for you, please. That would be fun. icon_razz.gif

P.S. I read your website months ago and remember clearly that it's an appointment only STUDIO. Not a drop-in bakery with buns and such.

P.P.S. My DH's take on this--( a former New Yorker) Apologize to the poor put-out couple, then charge them 20% more!! icon_twisted.gif

Mothersuperior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mothersuperior Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 23

Well everyone,

"They walk among us" , the rude, inconsiderate, all about me people and unfortunately they always will. So move on and put it in the back burner, because your talent and energy should not be wasted.

Hope you are filling better today.

Happy baking and I Love, Love your cakes.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:40pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I read this to my hubby and since he works in customer contact, he burst out laughing at what an idiot this person was.

Let's see ..... I drive out to any store only to find they are closed and I am ticked because it's YOUR responsibility to tell ME what time you are open. Because obviously you should be open when *I* decide to be there, not necessarily when YOU determine what your hours should be.

People are idiots. And they're allowed to drive, vote and pro-create.

ditto to that...(indy you crack me up)
I am very sorry to hear about your day. I think it is unfortuante but people nowadayus just take them selves way to darn seriously. Truly most of the time they just need to get right on over themsleves becuase they are not quite as cool as they seem to think they are. icon_rolleyes.gif
You are an amazing artist and I am sorry you had to deal with such an e-mail.

aine2 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 7:51pm
post #19 of 23

You know...a HUGE thank you to all of you for cheering me up. It probably looked like I made this a huge big deal....as one of you wrote, things can be taken differently when written down and interpreted in different ways to different people. I AM feeling better today although not 100%. I really am in need of my holidays....haven't had one for 5 years so it's time.

I think I was a bit more sensitive than usual due to tiredness and also for the fact that I DO give so much of my time even out of hours to most people. I DO add extras onto cakes which are most of the time greatly appreciated. So having one person think that I should just be there at the drop of a hat should not surprise or annoy me any more.

Once I start my workshops in October, my STUDIO will be CLOSED to the public on the weekends that these take place....then there WILL be some mighty swearing outside my window! Oh dear! icon_lol.gif

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I'm fine now. You won't hear me complain again....honest! icon_wink.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:25pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

I really am in need of my holidays....haven't had one for 5 years so it's time.

5 years!!! You deserve a vacation!!!!

Quote:
Quote:

You won't hear me complain again....honest!

With 5 years without a vacation, you have a right to complain any time you want!!!

I'm glad you are feeling better!

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 10:58pm
post #21 of 23

I have a sort of blindness when it comes to written info and I might search a site for info but not see it and then have it pointed out to me! Even though I know I have this this problem and so look extra hard, often I still just cannot see it - especially when there is a lot of info on offer.

I Perhaps this is the case with this person - sometimes you just can't see the totally obvious even when looking for it. If that had been me and you'd sent me the link I'd have emailed you back with a huge apology for the oversight - mistake all mine, etc. Wonder if this lady will do that.

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:30pm
post #22 of 23

My 2 cents says she wasn't being rude. She is, however, a direct woman who is short on time. An unfortunate symptom of 'today's society'. If you have lots of info to wade through, she was looking for something to jump out at her and be easy to spot. Regardless, it was her error to arrive without doing homework or to assume anything about your operation. And we all know that assumption is often the lowest form of intelligence. I say she's guilty of being annoying and not rude. Be glad you're getting a glimpse of her personality now - you may not want to or be able to work with someone like that.

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 2:38pm
post #23 of 23

Sorry you felt attacked. My daughter and I went into phoenix to scope out the competition as we are just starting out and we live in a smaller town and didn't know about making appt. but were treated well. So if I might be so bold as to ask how much you charge for you huge talent. We too, make cakes like yours I am sure not to your standards but still within the ball park and we are so nervous about what to ask for them. How did you determine how to price your cakes. I could really use the help. If you are to busy to answer I will understand.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%