Kern County Fair

Decorating By Trevie Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 5:54pm by Trevie

Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 35

Last night I was looking at info on our county fair here in CA because I thought I might enter a cake (I think I'm getting a little too brave) and found out that the grand prize is only $10...Doesn't that seem a little chintzy or is that my amateurity (is that a word? icon_smile.gif ) shining through? All that work and you could possibly only win 10 bucks.... icon_confused.gif

34 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 35

For me, entering the fair is not about the money it's about the fame baby! No I'm just kidding. For me it's about winning. Period!

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 35

i havent ever entered anything but I would thiks it is for practice and fame...

Trevie Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

For me, entering the fair is not about the money it's about the fame baby! No I'm just kidding. For me it's about winning. Period!

LOL!! When you said that, it reminded me of Saturday Night Live, SUPERSTAR!! icon_lol.gif

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevie

Last night I was looking at info on our county fair here in CA because I thought I might enter a cake (I think I'm getting a little too brave) and found out that the grand prize is only $10...Doesn't that seem a little chintzy or is that my amateurity (is that a word? icon_smile.gif ) shining through? All that work and you could possibly only win 10 bucks.... icon_confused.gif

I live in the mid-Hudson Valley of NY, about mid-way between NYC and Albany on the Hudson River. Just out of curiousity, I checked out the websites for the county fairs both where I live and the county immediately south. My county fair does have a baking (cakes/cookies/cupcakes, quick breads) contest and the grand prize is $10.00 The county south doesn't have a baking contest at all.

I'm thinking about entering, just for the "glory" and bragging rights!

Toni Ann

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 35

I have a shelf in my house with all of my "baker boy" trophies (cheap chef looking trophies) and various ribbons from the fair. It makes me proud to display all of those blue ribbons...and I even put the second and third place ribbons up! Ok Ok and the participant ribbons icon_confused.gif are up there too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 3:15am
post #7 of 35

You are very lucky they still award $10! Most have gone to only $3 or maybe $5icon_sad.gif
As was said the county fiar is for sharpening/ showing off your skills - certainly NOT for the prize moneyicon_smile.gif

Oh btw: look out - I might enter against you hehe. I'll have to check which side of the county line I'm on firsticon_smile.gif

Trevie Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:37am
post #8 of 35

Cool if only I knew who you are...I'm a newbie to the 9th so the blue ribbon goes tooooo...kakeladi icon_biggrin.gif But I think I'm going to try. Atleast I have a reason to highly decorate a piece of styrofoam, oh and I really could use the practice..Hope to see ya there!! icon_smile.gif

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 35

Usually if you win First Place and Best in Show, they increase the money. They go on a point system. I just entered cookies and a cake and ended up with $30.00. Still not a lot but kind of cool. (Obviously I don't enter for the money either. LOL.

Trevie Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 35

Congratulations!! That's awesome. I've never entered anything in the fair, heck I don't even go to the fair, so this is all a new experience for me, how it works, recognition, awards, monies...The fair is September and I'll have to post an update afterwards.

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 35

Up here in El Dorado County, CA in the Decorated Cakes division, the top prize in $10 -- but that more than pays back the entry fee of $1. With four classes to choose from, and one of those being "other" -- the possibilities are endless when it comes to design. The judging criteria posted in the fair guide was "30% quality of frosting and 70% Decoration and choice of theme". I know a "best of show" ribbon was awarded, but I am not sure what additional cash prize was awarded -- but the ribbon is very pretty. I can say the gal that won the first place and best of show did a phenom job on her wedding cake with cascading roses. In fact, because of that experience and her enthusiasm, I signed up for my first Wilton class.

This year, between baked goods, our garden spot and eggs, we brought home $65 and 5 ribbons! And for me, it is all about the ribbons...
icon_lol.gif

Trevie Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 35

Wow! thanks for sharing your experiences with me..Well, now you guys have just about talked me into it icon_smile.gif I wonder if they'll let me compete with kids instead of the adults? icon_eek.gif I need to get a leg up somehow.. icon_lol.gif I am just teasing by the way. Everyone seems so ultrasensitive today on these boards.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 35

I dont even think our fair has a cake contest...i looked online last night for one and didnt see anything dealing w/the cake contest..only place i know of sometimes is the school my daughter goes to and its the kids that have to bake that

Trevie Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letmebeurdesignr

I dont even think our fair has a cake contest...i looked online last night for one and didnt see anything dealing w/the cake contest..only place i know of sometimes is the school my daughter goes to and its the kids that have to bake that

Wow, I'm surprised there isn't a cake contest at the fair. I really had to dig on our website (guess would've been easier just to ask someone here) to find the cake information. Maybe you should suggest they start a cake category and get like one of your supermarkets to sponsor. Albertson's sponsors the one here.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 8:06pm
post #15 of 35

Each fair is sooooo different. Up here in Alameda County there is no sponsor but they've had a decorated category for years. The CA state fair has a decorated category, but they also judge on taste. They don't have a category for just decorated cakes or all Best in Show cakes. Some counties let anyone enter, others require that your a resident of the county. It's a real chore trying to find what fits you best. Good luck. BTY, can non residents enter your fair?

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:53am
post #16 of 35

I am in Fresno County, just down the road from you! I won a blue ribbon last year for my fall basket cake and needed the Brinks Armoured Truck to help take my winning check to the bank...alll $4.00 of it icon_lol.gif It wasn't about the $$$, just the winning for me too icon_biggrin.gif . Atho I was more upset I didn't even place for my homemade wine. At the Los Angeles County Fair I at least placed 3rd! Good luck, our fair is in Oct. Entering my wedding cake dummy this year.

Trevie Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:53am
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldhippy

I am in Fresno County, just down the road from you! I won a blue ribbon last year for my fall basket cake and needed the Brinks Armoured Truck to help take my winning check to the bank...alll $4.00 of it icon_lol.gif It wasn't about the $$$, just the winning for me too icon_biggrin.gif . Atho I was more upset I didn't even place for my homemade wine. At the Los Angeles County Fair I at least placed 3rd! Good luck, our fair is in Oct. Entering my wedding cake dummy this year.

icon_lol.gif Yep, I was thinking whoever wins this is going to need private security to get back to the car...Congratulations though! So, I take it that the LA County Fair you don't have to be a resident? What kind of wine do you make? How do you make it? Now, I'm curious..If I could make my own wine and could save a bundle icon_razz.gif Oh, and if I ever see your license plates on the 99, I'm going to honk my horn, hang my head out and holler at ya!! I like the plates..

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:12am
post #18 of 35

Well, I went down and checked out our fair information. We can have a dummy cake, but it says 1/2 cake. Huh? how do you make a 1/2 dummy cake? Guess I'll have to call and find out what that means. Yes, they have an equally impressive prize for 1st place. It's a gift certificate for Dillards. Good thing....wouldn't feel comfortable carrying around that much cash if I won. Guess I'd have to enter first though. I'm thinking about it but just don't know what I'd want to make yet.

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:06am
post #19 of 35

/2 cake, what the heck??? We have baked division and then just decorated. They don't specify anything other that dummy or styrofoam, butter cream or royal icing. Perhaps call them and they can explain..then let us know, I am curious!

rcs Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:31am
post #20 of 35

I'll let you know! I keep picturing a dummy cake sliced down the middle....not a pretty picture!!

Trevie Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 6:56am
post #21 of 35

maybe 1/2 of a sheet cake. Who knows..the same image of a dummy cake sliced in half keeps coming to mind also. Hey, that could be your cake, a real cake that looks like a dummy cake cut in half...What's the fair's theme this year? Ours is Old Time Rock n Roll...still thinking about what I would do for that theme...can't figure out how to get my dad's pic on the cake..oh wait..that's old timer rock n rollericon_smile.gif Got any ideas? Now, remember my skills are way limited...I started Course I and my second class is tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif So piping anything but stars is way out of the question icon_cry.gif

rcs Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:13am
post #22 of 35

Hey Trevie, didn't mean to ignore you. Had to go to bed last night and worked all day. Anyway, how about a cake made to look like a record and something like gumpaste/fondant shoes, or hound dog on it? I asked my DH and he suggested a juke box or a drive-in (like sonic) with a bunch of cars, etc....Don't worry, I gave him the "Are you crazy??" look! Our theme is "Get your engines revin for 2007". I may have to consider some type of car cake. Oh, wait a minute, I forgot....1/2 a car cake! I really need to call them tomarrow and find out what 1/2 of a dummy cake is! BTW Trevie, love the new avatar! I really liked the old one too!

JoJoMick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJoMick Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:55pm
post #23 of 35

I live in Fresno County and have entered the fair for assorted baked stuff, mostly cakes and have my share of ribbons. It is so much fun. A few years ago I won the 1st prize in the Butter Cake division and got a trophy and 30lbs of butter! It's never about the $$$ I enjoy the challenge and to see what else is out there. (My mom even made me stand for a photo by the case that had my cake in it!!!) Ah mothers - - they are the biggest fans!

Trevie Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:18pm
post #24 of 35

30 lbs of butter! Where the heck did you put it all? icon_smile.gif And you gotta love Moms, they truly are your biggest fans!! Thanks for sharing..

JoJoMick Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:28am
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevie

30 lbs of butter! Where the heck did you put it all? icon_smile.gif And you gotta love Moms, they truly are your biggest fans!! Thanks for sharing..

JoJoMick Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:32am
post #26 of 35

Oh no - - - I lost my reply! (I'm still figuring this forum and its workings, please have pity on me) I put the butter in ziplock bags in the freezer. Contrary to what you might think, it probably lasted me a couple of months. Where do you buy your supplies in Bksfld - - do they have a specialty shop or supply house? It's nice to know we're "100 mile neighbors"!

campinsp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campinsp Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:35am
post #27 of 35

Go for it! I love looking at the cakes at the fair. It's part of the whole experience. Good Luck icon_smile.gif

Trevie Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:36am
post #28 of 35

As much butter as I've used in the last couple of months, I'm sure I'd go through it pretty fast too. I don't know of any supply stores here in Bakersfield. Do you have any in Fresno? I want to take a trip to LA or somewhere and do some shopping where I can actually see and touch what I'm buying. I've been buying on the internet and sometimes it's a big guessing game...Do you know of any near us?

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:40am
post #29 of 35

Okay, I have to jump in on this one!! I entered a copy (dummy) of my DD wedding cake just today and won first and BOS in non-professional (have to make a set $$ amount or own a cake biz to be a pro!) I won this last year and the prize was two out-dated Wilton videos sent by Wilton about 2 months after the contest. Same prize this year and I'm going to decline the prize!! I definately don't do this for the $$$$! I LOVE competing!!

rcs Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 3:41am
post #30 of 35

Hey, I called our extension office today about their posted requirement for 1/2 of a cake (dummy). The lady had to call me back and agreed with me that a 1/2 of a dummy cake wouldn't look very good. It is a whole cake. They don't really go by the fair theme. Just what ever you want to enter! I'm just having a hard time deciding.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%