I Can't Believe It! She Criticized My Cake!! (Vent)

Decorating By lilypie Updated 2 Sep 2006 , 4:56am by mrboop

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 34

I was in the mall a little while ago, i happened to run into my old Wilton class instructor. She stopped me and told me all about how she walked out of a wedding event at Michaels and left several classes just hanging (she was quite proud of it) all because she had some problem with Michaels management. She asked me what i had been doing. We happened to be standing right next to a jewelry store where there is one of my display cakes. I pointed to it and said it was mine. She took a step toward it, kinda squinting and said that NOW SHE has an all new technique to get the petals of the roses MUCH thinner than what i had. (the cake is in my photos, called lots of roses, on page 2) I

I guess it was just an innocent comment, but i was really offended! She doesn't care about anyone else, and didn't even let me finish talking before she was interrupting about all the business SHE has and how great all HER cakes are and how all these stores want HER. She was going off about how she wasn't getting paid enough from Michaels and she went around grabbing all her display cakes during this wedding event thing. I never complained when during my classes she never had anything nice to say about anyone elses cakes. whatever. Sorry everyone. I just had to get this off my chest.

33 replies
mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 34

how rude.........sorry you had a bad experience...chaulk it up as jealousy...probably she was just jealous of you!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 34

She is just jealous, and what a snot she is. Her opinion isn't worth the air she used to express it.

Your Roses look terrific. Karma will get her eventually.

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 34

Listen, she obviously has some deeper rooted issues with her own personality and confidence if she feels the need to demean others. I looked at your cakes and I think you do a wonderful job. I'm currently taking Course II at Michaels, final cake tonight, and if I had a teacher like that I would request my money back!! You keep doing what you're doing and enjoy yourself because that is what it is all about.

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 34

Some people just aren't nice people. I know a lady like that and no matter what I do she acts like she can do better or mine jus isnt good enough....actually a few people. It's jealousy. Your cake(s) are great. I just looked at them all and they look good. I wish my roses looked like yours. Beautiful. Dont feel bad...shes a dope-lol.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 34

She sounds like a jealous biddy who has no business teaching because she's so insecure about her own abilities. icon_twisted.gif

If she was so wonderful, it would be her cake in the window, not yours. icon_confused.gif

Please don't take anything she said/says to heart--it sounds like the only reason that you learned anything from her classes is because you have the natural talent that she lacks icon_lol.gif

Rae

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 34

Thankfully she is no longer an instructor! Wow, what an ego!

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 34

Well your cake and all of your roses are beautiful IMHO. Sounds like she wasn't meant for teaching and if her attitude doesn't get better all her business will suffer eventually too. I always try to remember in the end everyone gets what they deserve but there are some you just can't help but hope your around to see them get it when they do. Don't let her get to you, your work speaks for itself. thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 34

Sounds like my old instructor. When I made a beautiful rose on a toothpick she threw a fit. At one point she even kicked a step stool across the room and cussed. Can you say UNSTABLE!!!??? She was just jealous of you and you shouldn't give her one bit of thought. Just laugh and know that she has to live with herself!! That's punishment enough!

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 34

She is an ignoramus! People who talk like that often feel really bad about themselves & wish they could be "as good as" others... she was probably amazed by your cake (as I was, it's gorgeous!), and wanted to make you feel small so she could feel big. Just feel sorry for her, she's going to have to learn the hard way, when she doesn't have any friends. Keep up the beautiful work!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 34

Wow, that is a beautiful cake and so are your gelatin flowers too! If you had been my student I would have bragged to everyone that one of my students made the fantastic display cake.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 34

i think shes just jealous that it's not HER cake in the window...

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 34

Thanks guys. I really mean it. I'm crying reading these super nice posts. (Maybe its just PMS) but i really appreciate it everyone.

I couldn't believe she was trying to get information from me on who the new instructor was. (she hasn't taught since she left Michaels, which was a few months ago i guess) I have NO idea who the new person is, why would i need to take the class again? Though i know she posts on this website, why would i tell her? sheesh.

Thanks again. *hug*

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 34

Hmmm while her comments weren't appropriate - I understand her frustration w/ Michael's - I've heard nothing but bad stuff about that place & their management. I actually thought of working there once until the barrage of stories of stupid management hit me - no thanks I don't need to add that to my life! HOWEVER - is she really punishing the store or the students when she just gets up & leaves? As for doing demonstrations - she's really just hurting herself b/c those demos I believe are meant to get more people in your class..... her reasoning was just backwards and she does sound jealous

And that one teacher that kicked a stool & cussed??? WHAT?? icon_eek.gif B/c of a rose? I mean I understand jealousy and all but um, do you have to act like a 3 year old and kick & scream about it? Wow some people just don't ever grow up.... I've seen kids who are more "grown up" in their behaviors and mannerisms than adults though......

LilBlackSheep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilBlackSheep Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 34

She's just jealous.

You've got one beautiful cake there. Take a look at all of the feedback you have on it. That and the fact that it is a favorite of 10 members says a lot.

Don't let her win. icon_wink.gif

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:56pm
post #16 of 34

I am sorry you had such a bad experience with your instructor. I am an instructor, myself and I never ever criticize my student's work. I started teaching to share my knowlege and love of cake decorating with others. I love to help. That is what it's all about. I hope you sent a complaint to Wilton about her. She puts shame on the name and I am really sorry. Not all WMIs are professional decorators, either. I happen to be, but that doesn't give me bragging rights. I show and display my work, but in a very encouraging way. It took me 10 years to get as good as I am and I didn't get there without hours and hours of practice. I don't care how much experience a decorator claims to have, if they are in a mentoring situation, like a teacher, they should never speak badly to their students about their work. I think your cake is beautiful and did an awesome job. icon_smile.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 11:28pm
post #17 of 34

That lady sounds like she has serious issues. You can't take what people like this say seriously. Consider the source.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 11:40pm
post #18 of 34

Shoot, I would think that she would take pride in the fact that SHE TAUGHT THE PERSON WHO MADE THAT BEAUTIFUL CAKE! Some women are just as big of a noodge as men tend to be!

littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 2:37am
post #19 of 34

I only have one thing to say about her: self absorbed

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 7:30am
post #20 of 34

IGNORE HER!!!

I saw your cake (s) they are ALL beautiful!, maybe sha was just green with envy.

By the way I am a Flower gelatine teacher, yours are great, good going!

Patty

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 3:26pm
post #21 of 34

I'm very sad to hear that so many people have had bad experiences with their Wilton classes. I've been a teacher for Wilton at AC Moore for 3 years now, and I LOVE when my students succeed. Isn't that the point of me spending so much time doing this????

I can't believe that she acted so crazily toward you, but I'm glad she's not representing Wilton or Michaels if she's like that. Not all Michaels are bad, or so I'm told. i know several people who teach at their stores and love it. Any time you have to work with a store on a contract basis and deal with Wilton, it's like getting commands from 2 separate bosses, but it works pretty well, the pay is ok, and it's great to share your knowledge with others. Your roses did look great. You should look into ICES or classes with Nicholas Lodge to make them even better. ICES is an international organization devoted to sharing and teaching the art of sugar on all levels. I've belonged for 3 years now and love it! I took a 2 hour class with Nicholas Lodge at the convention this summer, and he makes the most incredible roses you've ever seen. He's really easy to learn from, too.

Best of luck!
Sugarnut

PS Wilton is going to be offering a new class next year that is on Gum paste flowers, like calla lilies and carnations. Hope you find a great instructor to take it with! AC Moore and Joannes also offer classes...

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 12:38am
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Sounds like my old instructor. When I made a beautiful rose on a toothpick she threw a fit. At one point she even kicked a step stool across the room and cussed.

There are instructors out there like these two? Holy cow!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 1:49am
post #23 of 34

Unfortunately... yes. Chalk it up to insecurity, low self esteem, or just out and out evilness, but they are there, and they are hard to get away from.

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:21pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnut

PS Wilton is going to be offering a new class next year that is on Gum paste flowers, like calla lilies and carnations. Hope you find a great instructor to take it with! AC Moore and Joannes also offer classes...

Ooohhh, I'm very interested. Will they offer it like they do the Wilton Courses? I hope my instructor teaches a class like that. She's a great instructor.

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:33pm
post #25 of 34

yes, it's supposed to be a 4 week class, but they're not calling it course 4 for some reason. At the instructor meeting they said they were still working out the books to be printed, but they had us do a calla lily and carnation, so those will probably be in the class, among others. I can't wait to teach it! I always have students asking for more classes, so this will be nice. icon_biggrin.gif

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 6:36pm
post #26 of 34

She is crazy. Just forget that even happened.

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:11am
post #27 of 34

I am a strong believer in what goes around comes around. If she really is this rude, her customers are not going to recommend her to other people in the future. Not only do you need talent for this, you need GREAT customer service!

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:31am
post #28 of 34

sugarnut and everyone else, I just got my newest newsletter from my supervisor and it says that they are looking to get rid of referring to the courses by number, but rather by their title on the front of the books. (Course 1 is called "Discover Cake Decorating") This is probably why they are not calling it Course 4. She said the number suggests that the courses have to be taken in order, but courses 2 & 3 can be switched. There isn't really anything in Course 3 that you need skills from Couse 2 for. You can just as easily work with the royal in 3 if you never took 2. It will probably be reccomended to take 3 before working with the gum paste, though, but not required.

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:41am
post #29 of 34

sounds like she has some personal issues she needs to work on. I would not let her comments bother you

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:20pm
post #30 of 34

*sigh* some people's kids......

Totally sounds like jealousy to me!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%