Kitchen Aid Artisan Mixer -Vs- Kitchen Aid Professional Mixe

Decorating By WhenTheCookieCrumbles Updated 27 Aug 2006 , 11:46pm by Narie

WhenTheCookieCrumbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTheCookieCrumbles Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 6:11am
post #1 of 10

Hello All,
I am hoping someone in this forum can educate me as I need some info ASAP. My husband wants to get me my first kitchen aid.I am not as happy as I should be as this has become an extremly stressful event every time we go out shopping for one. icon_cry.gif Two weeks and I still can't figure them out icon_redface.gif

I finally narrowed it down to 2 and still am not sure what the difference is or which I should get. Here are the options;
The KA aritisan mixer, 5 quart, 325 watts is $299.99 -vs- The KA Professional Commercial with a lifter, 5 quart, 425 watts $259.99

Is there truly a difference between these two other than one tilts and the other doesnt? dunce.gif I am so confused , thank you in advance.
Lisa

9 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 6:23am
post #2 of 10

The professional is more of a heavy duty mixer. 425 watts is more powerful then 325 watts. I love mine. HTH

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 6:49am
post #3 of 10

You can't go wrong with a KA anyway. They have the absolute best customer service and they can last for decades.

The Artisans have the special colors. Some people prefer the lifter, some prefer the tilt. There are minor differences. I would choose the 425w over the lesser power.

Use the extra money for an extra bowl and another beater, if you can afford it. You won't regret the extra bowl.

makincakeintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makincakeintx Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 11:42am
post #4 of 10

more power and extra bowl. I am finding that I need the extra bowl or maybe 2. My next purchase will be bowls..

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 10

Have you tried looking around for a sale? Those are regular price, usually you can find them on a discount at some point. If you have a linens and things or a bed, bath and beyond I'm pretty sure you can use the 20% coupons on those.

Anyway...I have the artisan and I love it. Funny I have it in white! Most people go for colors and I would have but found the white cheaper and figured the extra money was better spent elsewhere vs. just a color. I prefer the tilt head but if you do a lot of heavy duty stuff (mulitiple batches of something at once for example) go for the pro. I don't use it for big stuff like that so the artisan suites me.

bearcreek350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bearcreek350 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 10

Do you have a Kohl's department store? I just purchased a 6 qt professional there. They were $100 off plus I had a coupon for another 20% which made my savings $180!! They have their sales on the KA once in awhile, maybe one by you is having a sale too!

Sumer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumer Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 10

I have the 325 watt, the 350 watt and the larger one, too. The first was a gift, and the other two were picked up on ebay at great deals. I use the larger, more powerful one for doughs, and things such as stiff fondant or gumpaste. I use the others for mixing cake batter and frostings. They are all really good, and I wouldn't trade any of them for anything! (except maybe a good Hobart floor model! haha)

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 10

I have the one with the 425 motor (Sam's club right??) It is great. I love it. Go for the power. I wanted red but for the price and more power I learned to love grey.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 10

Another VERY important thing to keep in mind, is that the Artisan is the ONLY KA that can accommodate not only the 5-qt bowl, but also works with the 4-qt and the 3-1/2 qt bowl. So you can do smaller things in smaller bowls, then use the 5-qt bowl for larger jobs.

That alone would make the Artisan worth more to me.

I have an Artisan and a Pro 6, and I adore them both.

Get the Artisan, would be my advice.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 10

Now that you are totally confused, just look for the one on sale and buy that one. I have had the KA Classic 250 watts and it has served me well for over 30 years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%