Discouraged And Want Advice

Decorating By allycook Updated 5 Jul 2007 , 12:31am by allycook

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 25

Attached is a cake I just recently did. I have been doing cakes for only 51/2 months and am continually learning. I am a bit discouraged though because absolutely no one commented on this cake. Please take a look at it and tell me where I am going wrong. I enjoy cake decorating but maybe I just don't have what it takes for that extra sparkle that is needed. Please advise. Any constructive criticism is appreciated greatly. Boo hoo!
LL

24 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 25

I think it looks great..as for me I am very busy with my cake business and try to get on here as much as I can but I usually check the forums first.It certainly doesn't mean anyone thinks your cake isn't good.Many times all of our cakes are not commented on!! Cheer up!!! icon_smile.gif

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 25

for only 5 1/2 months? you did an awesome job!!!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 25

I never saw it but, I think it's cute. I've been doing them for 5 years and I'm still learning.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 25

please do not be discouraged. For some reason people dont comment as much as they used to. I have had the same thing happento me and always end up feeling disapointed an unworthy. sometimes the pics load slow and that discourages people from posting.

i like your cake very much- the flowers are very nice as is the color selections- your fondant is well done- great job icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 25

Yes, I agree with sweetviolent. It seems as if people are commenting a lot less lately, though many are just adding to favorites on the really good ones and not leaving comments. Go figure.

BTW, I think your cake is beautiful. I love the colors and the design. I think you did an excellent job - the fondant looks very neat and doesn't look wrinkled or anything. thumbs_up.gif I'm sorry that I never commented on it myself, but I don't remember seeing it.

(Oh, and another thing in general. I think for a while there were, and are, so many photos being uploaded that they don't stay on the home page for very long and they do tend to get missed a bit, but that's my opinion.)

allycook Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 25

Thanks ya'll. That has helped to brighten me a bit.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 25

there are so many pictures uploaded and it's hard to keep track of them all. honestly...this cake is great, especially since you're a beginner. you've got talent indeed!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 25

I agree with everybody there are pages and pages of pictures I miss many good cakes too

RkRamirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RkRamirez Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 25

I think your cake looks great, especially for you only doing this for 5 months. On my cake pictures, they have alot of views from people, but only like 1 or 2 comments. Just keep on practicing and making cakes!!!

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 25

Your cake is very cute!! I think you did a great job.

It is hard to keep up with all the photos. There are more all the time. I used to be a Gallery Supporter and tried to keep up with the new photos and make comments. But then people started compaining about short comments. Sometimes all I have time for is "good job" or something to that effect. It got so bad with people complaining, that I asked to be removed as a supporter and I just quit trying. I was discouraged by that. You just can't please most of the people.

singsing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singsing Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 25

I agree, it looks very nice. There are a hundred or more pictures uploaded every day. it would take all day just to sit here and look at them all. as for what you could do, just practice. we can't all be Colette Peters in a day. even in a year. I've been hobby decorating for years and only do a couple of wedding cakes a year, there is so much to learn and new stuff all the time. Don't get discouraged, you are doing very well!

allycook Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 25

Thanks. Sorry I was just having a selfish moment and forgot life isn't about me.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 9:17pm
post #14 of 25

If you genuinely want some suggestions you could try looking at the colours - sometimes all one colour, but with different shades, or two, maybe three, strong colours can look more striking. You could try placing the circles differently - in little clusters or in a pattern to give the top tier more movement. It does take a while to get an 'eye' for it. I spent a lot of time looking at craft and art books as I knew I found colour combining tricky. I suggest any of the quilting books by Kaffe Fassett - his eye for colour is superb. I hope I haven't spoken out of turn, I'm a teacher so find it normal to try and help, but understand if you think I'm a nosy old wench.

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 9:41pm
post #15 of 25

I think you did a nice job especially amazing for doing that only 51/2 months

allycook Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:07pm
post #16 of 25

Not a problem, emmacakes. I certainly appreciate the advice, for that is the only way to learn. I too have taught so know your desire to help and instruct. It is very good advice that I will pay attention to. Thanks to all.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:14pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by allycook

I am a bit discouraged though because absolutely no one commented on this cake.

I know exactly how you feel. I anxiously await feedback and I am lucky if I get even two responses. It is very discouraging.

By the way, I do like your cake. I really like the different colors that you used. It makes the cake stand out.[/quote]

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:24pm
post #18 of 25

First of all, nice job! 5 months is not a long time and your cake looks wonderful! Please don't get discouraged! I am one of the guilty ones that looks at cakes, adds to favorites, but doesn't often comment! This is probably wrong of me because I LOVE getting comments and favorites!! It encourages me so much, I just find with dial up, two small kids, and working so much my "cake internet" time is very limited. I'm with you though, I will try to comment more thumbs_up.gif

copal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
copal Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:26pm
post #19 of 25

I think it looks great! I'm new to cake decorating too and am terrified of fondant. Perhaps you'll be my inspiration! Keep up the good work!!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:27pm
post #20 of 25

I didn't see it either. It's very pretty and well done. I looked at your pics and your tea pot cakes are wonderful! I saved them on my HD.
I don't know about anyone else but when I am looking at pictures on the home page, by the time I click on one, view it and go back, another that I wanted to see has vanished and others take it's place. Have to be really quick to see them.
Anyways, allycook, good job!!!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:32pm
post #21 of 25

I think you did a great job but I usually try to go into the forums to answer the questions that have not been viewed. The only time I really look at the pics is just a quick look to see if I really like it and usually the colors grab my attention (same when I shop for clothes it's the colours) I really like yr cake but the colors seem really a strange combo for me so rather than comment I usually just leave it alone so someone doesnt bite my head off lol (believe me it's been known to happen) lol some people just dont want constructive criticism.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:32pm
post #22 of 25

I'm right there with you. I get so excited about one of my cakes then no one seems to look at it... bummer.
again, so many get loaded at once that people don't even see a lot of the cakes. (I try and go the the recent uploaded page to catch some that I missed)

your cake is great. thumbs_up.gif
I love the bottom layer, but you might experiment with different circle placement and color on the top layer. emmacakes had a great suggestion on looking at other media for inspiration.

your other cakes are great too and you have lots of favs so don't worry!

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:49pm
post #23 of 25

Nice job!
fyi--I used to be able to comment on the cakes and such, but now I cannot view anything that in not in a post--I have tried to download flash this and others and noting--the little circle of dots goes on to infinity. If I get on explorer, I can see picts but again it takes forever.

I have not mastered how to post any of my creations.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 11:10pm
post #24 of 25

First off for 5 1/2 months you are doing excellent work! I have looked at your gallery and am very impressed with your talent. You have several in your gallery that are favorites for many. Be very proud!

As for a honest open critique as you asked, this cake has some issues....the color is a bit off and the fondant is not as smooth as it could be and to be really honest, this design has been done many, times before. So compared to your heart, first teapot, golf or music cake which are absolutely beautiful for different reasons and they are wonderfully designed and executed, this cake need a little more work.

We don't always bat 100 percent with every cake we do. But please don't be discouraged! Sometimes it is just the audience.

I have found generally the cakes that pop to the surface on this website are popular characters for children, or pretty but easy wedding cakes and then once in a while you will see a totally new sculpted design that everyone wants to try. Then of course there are the forever favorite designers whose designs would even get a comment from the lurkers.

Do what I do, learn for your past cake, make a new piece and move on. Good luck and take heart from my tagline.........you have great talent and I would not say it if I didn't believe it!

allycook Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:31am
post #25 of 25

Thanks again to everyone. What a pick me up. And so appreciate the comments, tiptop. I do like your tagline. I plan on studying the colors of others a little more diligently. And as you say learning from our past.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%