I Am Furious

Decorating By Ellistwins Updated 5 Jul 2007 , 7:33am by Momkiksbutt

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:40am
post #1 of 14

Me and my friend bake for a kiddies party franchise in our area. They are 3 sometimes 4 franchises who orders from us. Some time ago she said that she thinks they use us for as a backdoor when there normal suppliers can't help. I was just so happy for the business that it didn't bother me at all, even if it meant to work through the night (i'm working full time). This week I'm quite busy. I'm doing a full party, catering, decorating from A-Z and took on an additional cake order, which is quite manageable without going through at least no more than 1 night.
This lady phoned my friend to order a Bob the BUilder cake, but the moulded pan one and she turned her away because she can't do it. Then she has the nerve to phone me after she phoned my friend and then I'm the best and she can ask so many people but prefer my cakes etc.
My frustration is that my friend has never baked her a cake or anything. So why ask her first?
And why would i not hear from her for weeks and when she is in a fix, my cakes are the best and good enough for her clients??

I honestly can't fit it in this week and on top of that the electricity department dare to strike and cut off powersupply for 24 - 48 hours and if that happen I really am in trouble. So I texted her that I can't commit to this order. This will probably be the last time I hear from her ever. am i wrong?

13 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:19am
post #2 of 14

When you don't have an exclusive agreement, the buyer can go wherever they want. It is a real pain.

In any case, Bob the builder is a licensed character, illegal to sell, so you are better off anyway.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:28am
post #3 of 14

maybe she just called the friend because her number was listed first in her phone book. In the beginning, I would do the cakes and my daughter did the decorated cookies. She would have people ask her for cakes .... she'd never made a cake, but they only asked her because her name came first in their address book, or because her name was first on our biz card (alphabetical). It could be very innocent.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 7:17am
post #4 of 14

When it comes to frachises, they don't really 'care' where they get their cakes from. They have a party to do and if their normal suppliers are busy they just go down the line to find the next person to do work for them.
She is obviously in a fix and probably felt that she needed to soften you up to actually do the cake and hence all the compliments.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 7:34am
post #5 of 14

I agree with the previous posters, especially JoAnnB. You might want to rethink doing a licensed character cake. Also, like indydebi suggested, it could be the "luck of the draw" - alphabetical order or just an impulse call and her number showed up first.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 7:46am
post #6 of 14

There is always a silver lining to knocking back an order.... It makes them realise that you are popular and need more notice or you could be fully booked like you are this time! thumbs_up.gif

Don't stress it too much, if she cuts all ties because she gave you short notice, how can that be your fault? I wouldn't want to be affiliated with a company run by those decisions anyway. icon_confused.gif

Ellistwins Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 10:15am
post #7 of 14

Thanks for you replies. Ok, as for alphabetical, i'm first in the alphabet and the person she used most in the past. as for the licencing, i wasn't aware of that, but why would they rent out the pans for such cakes?

I just heard that the party has been postponed by a week by the parents, so let's see what happens. It just freaks me out that they use you as a backdoor and i might be desperate for the order, but no thanks.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 14

the pans are for 'home use only' not for sale. You can use it for your friends/family but not to sell to a customer.

Many do it, but if they get caught it can be a problem.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 14

There are plastic pictures you can use for cakes that include licensed characters. The customer would pay for it thus the company that owns the rights/license to the character would get their share of royalties.

Such a site with pictures of these is: http://www.babykakes.com/licensed%20characters%203.htm

Ellistwins Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:51am
post #10 of 14

so basically i can use it but mustn't get caught like everybody else. I hate using the pans in anyway. I can't get the icing right. and that is appart from the battle to get to the shop in time.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:56am
post #11 of 14

Bakeries also pay HUGE licensing fees so they can make cakes with Spiderman or Dora on them. My BIL was just giving me the low down on it the other day. It is a nasty fine if you get caught. Too bad really cause so many people can do great things that you can't find in stores.

I also think it was better that you not take it with your power situation. Getting that bake done would be one more stressful thing to worry about if the lights go out.

Don't feel bad, you did nothing wrong.

icon_smile.gif

Ellistwins Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:06am
post #12 of 14

well not taking the order was a blessing in disquise as i'm way behind schedule due to my kids being very clingy last night. but what hurt me was that they can be so false.

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:32am
post #13 of 14

Suggest a sheet cake with the purchased toys on them. They make really cute cakes. There are some in the galleries.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25197
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=58445

This is away to get around the licenses. You bought the toys. Bob in the last picture came with the candles. We have that set.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 7:33am
post #14 of 14

Wow...I learned something new today.........thanks for the insite ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%