Sams Bucket Of Buttercream Icing

Decorating By MeloMiMi Updated 23 Jul 2013 , 6:32am by CLW

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 44

I know this topic has been spoken of before, but I can't find where it's located.

Last night my DH and I went to Sams. I went to the bakery and inquired about the icing, and when my DH saw the price he said "that's going to go bad on you!" he took the bucket of icing out of the basket, LOL, and since it expires in Nov., he thinks the icing won't be any good since it's so hot right now.

I wanted to know if any of you purchased the bucket of icing from Sams and if it's worth the 26.00? or any input you can give on the subject.

Thanks,

Melanie

43 replies
oneposhbabychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneposhbabychef Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 44

I didn't know Sam's sold icing. Thanks for letting me know! I'm a Sam's club Junkie icon_smile.gif

How much icing do you get for $26? Can you freeze any of it? Have you ever tasted it? Is it good? I'm tired of making homemade icing, I would buy some.

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 44

I didn't know they sold icing either...hmmmm!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 44

Don't get too excited... they have switched manufacturers, and it's nasty! Super sweet and seperates (gets oily in the bucket) I bought some, but was embarraced to put my name on a cake made with that stuff. Tastes like a cheap grocery store cake. Just my opinion, but it's deffinately not for me!

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 44

I get my Bettercreme from Sam's but haven't tried the Buttercreme. The Bettercreme comes frozen. I just put it into smaller containers and refreeze.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 44

It is so much cheaper to make your own and much better tasting.

MeloMiMi Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 44

I didn't know Sams sells frozen buttercream. I forgot to tell ya'll that the bucket is 28 lbs.? I know the homemade is so much better, but I was having thoughts that it would be so much faster if it were already premade. Now, I don't know if I want to buy it if it's oily! icon_sad.gif

Thanks for all the info.

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyjuju

I get my Bettercreme from Sam's but haven't tried the Buttercreme. The Bettercreme comes frozen. I just put it into smaller containers and refreeze.

Butterflyjuju,

Do you get the Bettercream from the bakery dept. or is it in the cooler in the store?

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylesMom

Quote:

Butterflyjuju,

Do you get the Bettercream from the bakery dept. or is it in the cooler in the store?

You have to get it in the bakery dept. usually the manager of bakery will have to special order it for you.

I own a grocery store, and I would never want to sell a cake with the BUTTERCREME frosting. It is not very good, I am almost sure it is Richs (WalMart uses Richs). The BETTERCREME, is awesome, I personally think it is better than homemade, and it is shelf stable when on a cake. The BETTERCREME is the whipped stuff, it comes in a bucket frozen and like the previous poster said, take small amounts out and thaw as you need it.

I have not found a manufacturer of buttercreme that I like. I have tried several different manufacturers and they all have that artificial, preservative taste to them. I prefer the homemade buttercreme, its much tastier.

Rooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rooh Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:01am
post #10 of 44
Quote:

Where at in Sam's do you get the BETTERCREME? How big a container and how much?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:11am
post #11 of 44

I've used Sam's BC on every cake I've done this year. I love it. I do mix it in my mixer really good before using it though. Like peacockplace said it seperates. I sometimes add powdered sugar to it to make it thicker. I just bought some 2 wks ago & it was seperated pretty bad I guess from the heat. I put it in my KA & mixed it for about 10 min before I used it. It was fine. It is a lot sweeter then homemade but for me it saves lots of time so I use it. I'm lazy! icon_rolleyes.gif I also use the bettercream but don't like it as much. It looses it's thickness too quick. Yes, you can freeze both the BC & Bettercream. I have some in the freezer now. Try it it's worth the try! I can decorate a wedding cake (8",12", 16") & do decorations on it & a grooms cake the same size & decorations on it & have some left over. It's worth the $26 & the time you save from not having to make homemade. Oh, I also add flavoring to it. I say give it a try~

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:12am
post #12 of 44

28 lbs for $26 & you get it at the bakery counter, you have to ask for it~

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:12am
post #13 of 44

I must have got a bucket before they switched companies then, because I liked the bucket I got from Sam's. It lasted a really long time and it doesn't have to be refrigerated or frozen. The bettercreme is about 22 dollars for a 10 gallon bucket and the buttercreme is 26. I added up the cost of what it would take for me to make that much icing and it was worth it to me. The taste was fine and none of my customers have complained. It was just too easy to open up a bucket and ice a cake. Now, I must say that I wouldn't use it for a wedding cake. For a wedding cake, I feel the customer is paying too much to get icing from a bucket. I usually make Earlene Moore cream cheese buttercream for that. But for sheet cakes and character cakes, etc. I have used the buttercreme.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:27am
post #14 of 44

I use both the buttercream and Rich's Bettercream from Sams Club.
It is actually cheeper for me to buy the bucket of buttercream than to make my own. (also saves my mixer)
I can flavor it and color it with no problems. I have not had any problems with it seperating or being oily.
The buttercream is made for Sams/Walmart by a company called Dawn foods or something like that. (maybe called Dawn food products?)
I was talking to the bakery manager about it once.
I always call about 2 days before I go to pick it up to make sure that they have a bucket available.

MeloMiMi Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 3:10am
post #15 of 44

Thanks everyone for all the great info. tcturtleshell, you answered all the questions I forgot to ask. Since you use the icing frequently, does it hold up well in humid weather?

I forgot to mention that it also comes in chocolate in case you all didn't know.

oneposhbabychef Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 3:14am
post #16 of 44

Okay, you guy's convinced me to get my icing from Sam's club. But I'm confused on what to get. BUTTERCREAM or BETTERCREAM? What is the difference?

What should I buy next time I go?? I'm practicing cakes, not selling them but I do want a good tasting icing. I need something that pipes well.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 3:19am
post #17 of 44

The Bettercream is a whipped icing. Non-dairy.

Then there is the traditional buttercream.
To me, they have both worked well for frosting and borders. I have not tried to make flowers or anything else with either or them.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 3:26am
post #18 of 44

I just got the sam's buttercream in june for a wedding cake to cut my time down it was the worse thing to try and smooth I had to cover the whole cake with lace to hid all the flaws then it was way oily I remixed is added flavor it was no way to doctor it up as I had read on here before I bought it. to sum up my feelings on there buttercream I HATE IT! I tossed have the 26.00 bucket away.
I sugest you try a small batch before you get that big bucket and not go off of what you read here as I did.

butterflyjuju Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 3:41am
post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessBeckysbaking

I just got the sam's buttercream in june for a wedding cake to cut my time down it was the worse thing to try and smooth I had to cover the whole cake with lace to hid all the flaws then it was way oily I remixed is added flavor it was no way to doctor it up as I had read on here before I bought it. to sum up my feelings on there buttercream I HATE IT! I tossed have the 26.00 bucket away.
I sugest you try a small batch before you get that big bucket and not go off of what you read here as I did.

I'm wondering if they sold you an old bucket of Buttercream. Or one they had sitting out. And also different areas of the US may get different types of buttercream. But your suggestion is a good idea for anything you want to try.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:08am
post #20 of 44

I don't know what ya'll are getting but I have never once had to remix, add sugar, add flavor to the spread 'n' fill/buttercream from Sam's. Not once has anyone had to pre-order at the club I work. I wouldn't suggest doing string work with it...they break. It doesn't crust as well as other shortening based buttercreams. I don't have a problem with smoothing it unless it's one I've used at home. I used it for those fundraiser minis in my photos. It's around 26 dollars for 28lbs. That is the only size of spread 'n' fill/buttercream in white.

Sam's sells smaller buckets of COLORED buttercream for 9 dollars and some change. I don't think that the colored ones are fair to use if you are judging taste....Some of the colors(black, hot pink...) are nasty!

The whipped/Bettercreme is sold in 18lb buckets for 22 dollars and some change. That is the most wretched stuff to work with...oh just try to work with it longer than 30-45 minutes and you'll be fighting off air bubbles from hell!

FYI...Sam's bakery sells pretty much everything(containers, boards, boxes... with the exception of the cake kits and decorations(confetti, pop tops, gels, cupcake picks...).

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:04am
post #21 of 44

Ok does anyone know if they seel this stuff at the Super Walmart or at BJ's. See I don't have a Sam's clun near me. I do have a Super Walmart about 15 min away and I have a BJ's two blocks from my house. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Vic

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 8:23am
post #22 of 44

The bucket I got was labeled to expire in sept. maybe I'll try a different sams try it agian after I taste it in the store no I take that back I will keepmaking my icing thanks tho

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 12:25pm
post #23 of 44

I've used two diffrent buckets. One from walmart and one from sams. They both got oily. The texture is ok, but the flavor yuck! Never, never again on the spread and fill buttercream. I have heard good things about the bettercream, but haven't tried that myself.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 12:47pm
post #24 of 44

blessBeckysbaking, if it was bad, you should've taken what was left back and got a refund. 100% satisfaction guaranteed!

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:06pm
post #25 of 44

I am on my second bucket of the buttercream and have not had any problems with it. Everyone that has had a piece of cake that I have made and decorate has really liked it. To me the price is good and cost effective. I figured up what it takes to keep making homemade and it just makes sense to use the Sams Club icing. Time wise it is so much easier to open up that bucket too! Just my opinion. icon_rolleyes.gif

oneposhbabychef Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:08pm
post #26 of 44

Has anyone tried the Bettercream icing from GFS (Gordon Food Service). I hear that is around the same price and really good?

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:23pm
post #27 of 44

I tried the Sams buttercream for the first time a few weeks ago. Honestly, I really wasn't impressed at all. It tastes like canned icing to me, nothing like homemade. Now if I know the person ordering from me just wants a cool looking cake and will order from WalMart if I don't make it for them, then I don't care to use it, because it's the same they'd get from WalMart anyway. But if it's someone that loves that homemade icing, then I'm not about to cheat them out of that.

I do notice, though, that if I color my homemade buttercream, sometimes the colors separate after a day or two, so I can't really reuse leftover icing. The Sams buttercream seems to be better about that, so right now I'm making homemade icing for the main part of the cake, and using what I have left of the Sams icing for bright or dark colored details on the cakes. I probably won't buy more, though, once this is gone.

butterflyjuju Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 5:05am
post #28 of 44

I've never really tried the Sam's buttercream. Just better for me to make it myself. Having said that no on in my family cares for it. They've all had cakes with it since my aunt started decorating. When you've had it on every cake you've ate for over 20 yrs it gets yucky...lol. I bought the Bettercreme so we can have an icing we all like. Hubby's family on the other hand just loves the Buttercream that I make. No one decorates in their family so grocery store cakes it is.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 12:30pm
post #29 of 44

Well I actually prefer the Bettercreme over buttercream, but I don't do a large enough volume of cakes to make it worth it to buy a tub of it. Not to mention that I don't have an extra fridge for storing it yet. Hopefully I'll have a larger volume of business AND more storage space soon! icon_smile.gif

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 1:14pm
post #30 of 44

I have never bought the sam's icing personally, but have tasted a cake that used it and for me I thought that it was really sweet and left a nasty film afterwards. If you want pre-made icing, I live here in Indiana, and Country Kitchen Sweet Art, www.countrykitchensa.com is here. They have the best pre-made icing that I've ever tasted. I've tasted the sam's, Kroger, and Meijer. I make my own because I prefer the taste a lot better, but if I'm in a hurry I use theirs. They use the high ratio shortening in it. I personally think that it's worth the $39 for the 25lbs if you're in a hurry or want to have some on hand for back up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%