So Irritated With Wilton

Decorating By Melvira Updated 6 Sep 2006 , 4:52pm by lilypie

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:54am
post #31 of 75

Yep....I found CC on the WBB too....
I couldn't believe you had to wait 24hours to have your post posted. And then more time if on a weekend. Plus no one really likes to post recipes but you can add your post to the bottom of a million others to have a recipe sent to you.
I think one time I added my whole name and regular email and they sent me something about not putting my full name down.
Wilton could be a lot better in many ways but if not for them then I would not be here addicted to CC..... IS THERE A 12 STEP PROGRAM FOR CC ADDICTIONS??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:18am
post #32 of 75

Hi: I totally forgot how I got to this site. Wilton. I am so thankful that someone posted to come over here. I love it here. I only go over there to check out the schedules for the classes. Yes, I am an addict. Isn't it grand. Thanks for being here CC. Vicki0052.[/b]

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:41pm
post #33 of 75

Hey Sundine2,
I hope there is not a 12 step for the CC addiction icon_biggrin.gif (Does that mean I am in the denial stage? icon_eek.gif )

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:14pm
post #34 of 75

I vaguely remember going to the Wilton boards once.... but never again. Thank God for CC and the GENIOUSES that developed this type of forum!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 8:17pm
post #35 of 75

Big Bother of cake decorating? icon_lol.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 8:28pm
post #36 of 75

Wilton has alot of control over the posting contents. If I remember right, there is a disclaimer somewhere on the page that stated they will be reviewing the posting for things such as content, spelling errors, etc., adn that the posting may take a day or so...........not the "instant gratification" like we get from this site!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 8:42pm
post #37 of 75

Okay, I am not going to say anything nasty about Wilton's site. CUZ I DON'T GO THERE. I don't do Wilton! I took the classes and after the umpteenth question I had about "designer" cakes, my instructor told me that was for artists and not cake decorators.

Excuse me, that is why I was in the class to begin with, so I didn't go back.

Then I tasted their fondant - YUCK. Satin Ice or Pettinice for me.

Then I never could do the "Wilton Rose". Didn't have a patient instructor who really wanted me to learn how to "decorate" and not "design" - C'mon.

Oh and their pans, cheap tin and bendable. I have replaced mine with Magic Line.

The colors, using a toothpick hello! Americolor all the way!

It all started to remind me of the infamous Apple Commercial with the clones and the one olympic person in color breaking the blah, blah, blah big brother screen........buck the system I say and do it boldly.

I am now Wilton free. Quit cold turkey. Join the Wilton free zone; you can get better health rates; or at least a different view point.
icon_lol.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:48am
post #38 of 75

tiptop57,

I hear you....its almost like being a Stepford wife with Wilton....their way or no way. My BC roses always look like cabbage roses but to my way of thinking there are no perfect roses...different makes it interesting.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 12:54pm
post #39 of 75

I really havent been back since I found CC either. It just takes too long to see responses! I mean I just cant be that patient to wait a day or 2 for responses!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:10pm
post #40 of 75

I didn't read every post on this thread, but I think it would be funny to post something to them and post it here in it's original form, then post here again when they 'hack' it - just for comparison! icon_smile.gif

It's early, and yes my sense of humor is very warped! icon_twisted.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:17pm
post #41 of 75

Same for ME~
I found CC~
On the Wilton BB~

Us cake decorators need immediate help and honest opinions. Besides addicts can't handle delayed gratification icon_lol.gif .

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:30pm
post #42 of 75

I don't remember how I got here and really don't care. Just sooooo glad I found CC. Like others, I only go to Wilton for ideas. Never been to their forum. Personally, I don't want to wait nor do I want to be subject to "editing".

I would waste my time on a 12 Step-Program. I already know it wouldn't help icon_biggrin.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:38pm
post #43 of 75

I didn't know Wilton had a forum, Thank Goodness. I found CC on the web, totally by accident. I like instant gratification and honesty. The bakers that post on CC have a good sense of humor and can smile through even the biggest cake flops. I bow to one and all! (And I promise never to post on Wilton!)

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:48pm
post #44 of 75

I used to go there all the time, then students of mine (I am also a Wilton Instructor) told me about CC. I never go to the Wilton board anymore, but it is interesting to hear that they are changing posts to suit thier liking.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:56pm
post #45 of 75

I wish I had never posted anything (on Wilton site)...I keep getting those thread emails and cannot figure out how to get rid of them (and the last post I did was easily 6 months ago).

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 1:59pm
post #46 of 75

i found cc along time ago and have never really looked for another cake site to hang out with. ive checked out cakes on the web but i always come right back with any info i find or to verify info i find.

as far as wilton goes i have never taken a class or visited their bb so i really cant comment one way or the other about those but i was raised with wilton stuff every where so it will always be a part of my cake decorating. i have never had a problem with their pans( and almost every pan i own is wilton) or any thing else except the fondant--IT SUCKS!! i always use mmf(thanks to cc!!). i have used the americolor bottles though they are alot better as far as the bottle but the acctual color is the same( although americolor does offer a much larger selection)..

anyway i just wanted to cast my vote--LOVE CC--still like wilton !!!

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:02pm
post #47 of 75

This may be a dumb question .... but is it legal for Wilton to change your words? I know that it's their website and they own it, but to change someone else's words to suit them?

(edited because I haven't had for my first cup of coffee and I can't spell)

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:15pm
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids

This may be a dumb question .... but is it legal for Wilton to change your words? I know that it's their website and they own it, but to change someone else's words to suit them?

(edited because I haven't had for my first cup of coffee and I can't spell)

It states on there website that this can occur. I really do not see the big deal. Lets be honest here--They moderate on Wilton just as they do here. Why have conflict if it is not needed. The only time I have seen them really change anything is when people cannot let things go. Lets say someone does something a certain way.Someone else does it another way and refuses to accept any other method. Then the nasty words start flying and the tantrum starts etc. etc.
I have found that forum really useful and have made many friendships from it. Keeping in mind that even many do not like the way the forum is run they are huge sponsors in the cake industry.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:15pm
post #49 of 75

I'm not defending it by any means, but they do post guidelines for the forum...this is what I found....

This Discussion Forum is monitored. Messages will be posted Monday through Friday. We reserve the right to modify, move, use or remove information posted at our discretion and without prior notification or explanation.

tabs8774- I agree with what you said about Wilton aswell. I like to think when I am teaching that the classes are just a springboard for cake decorators. I usually tell my students that what is taught just scratches the surface, but provides the basics. The aluminum pans have never failed me and aside from the fondant the products are great.

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:37pm
post #50 of 75

Thanks for answering my question. I was just curious. I am really neutral on the issue. I just use the Wilton site for ideas.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:45pm
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Do any of you also 'hang out' at the Wilton BB's? If so, have you had problems with them changing your posts? It takes them like 24 hours to approve a post, and when I go back and read what I've written, they have edited it to make it sound the way THEY want it too. That is really starting to P me off!! AND I AM A LICENSED WILTON METHOD INSTRUCTOR!!! I am thinking about not going to their website anymore because if there is one thing I hate, it's someone changing my words on me. That's how misunderstandings get started! I just need to vent this and see if I'm not the only one here. I like this site better anyway... it's a lot more fun, and the people here have been awesome! I am glad I stumbled across it while reading a post at Wilton... I guess I owe them that much! Haha! icon_razz.gif

Yes, Wilton is notorious for editing post especially if they think the post portrays their product in a negative light. Sometimes it can be really annoying the lengths they go to to edit post. For instance, they will edit a post to change british spelling to american english.

The way I look at it, it's their website and they can run it however they see fit. I rarely go there anymore. I got tired of them editing post for unnecessary reasons (other than keeping someone employed). But when you look at it all website admins censor posts to some extent. Here on Cake Central for instance post are frequently locked at will or sometimes delete. I guess the bottom line is the method may vary but it all boils down to the same thing.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:49pm
post #52 of 75

They have edidited this thread and split the rest into another section.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 2:57pm
post #53 of 75

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so I don't know what all the opinions on the website's BB are or why this thread was split and moved icon_confused.gif !

I have never used their BB's and don't think I ever will if it takes an eon for a post to actually post! What if you have a ??? that you need feedback on right away?? icon_sad.gif Hey, I know.................COME HERE TO CAKE CENTRAL!!! There's an idea!

I have had no desire to visit let alone search for another site that could answer all the questions I have answered here! I'm perfectly at home here thank you very much!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

That is a shame though that you are one of their trained instructors! Kind of makes ya feel like you don't matter after all huh? Well, you matter here!!!!!

Amy thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:05pm
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

They have edidited this thread and split the rest into another section.

Come again? Where is it, and how could a person come to know that? Just curious.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:12pm
post #55 of 75

I want it to be known right now that I am NOT BASHING Wilton. I think I pointed out that I am a WMI, (I meant to, if I didn't) and I love Wilton. I love their products (except the taste of their fondant icon_wink.gif ), and if it weren't for them, I am sure I would not have come into this business. I am simply saying that I find it irritating. When I originally started this thread I was marginally pissed off because they had just changed a post of mine for no good reason to make it say something different, and I just wanted to vent. I know they have all the little legal loopholes covered by telling you that they can do that if they want to, and that if you post, you are subject to it, but I figured that would mean if you were using profanity of defamatory language. I was just irritated by it, and am not trying to start an Anti-Wilton movement or anything. I mean, if you saw my kitchen/pantry, you would know that was a stupid thought! icon_lol.gif So, I hope no one is offended by this, my point was not to raise hackles or create a volatile situation, simply to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening!

JMama3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMama3 Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 3:27pm
post #56 of 75

I have now came to CC!Awesome site!!! thumbs_up.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #57 of 75

Tried them once...never been back...

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:10pm
post #58 of 75

I hate that it takes so long to post a message on there and after I read that spelling and punctuation were an issue I haven't been back. I mean REALLY!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:20pm
post #59 of 75

I had a funny incident with the Wilton BB yesterday.

Someone had asked where to buy Satin Ice and I posted a response. That response was "accepted". A few days later on the same post, another member asked about the differences between "regular (Wilton) fondant" and Satin Ice. I replied with some basics--no bashing language of Wilton fondant at all--and referred them to the website for "more input". That post mysteriously never made it, so I re-posted with some more facts about Satin Ice. Guess what--that post never got put up, either. icon_confused.gif

Soooooo, I e-mailed Wilton and said, hey, what gives??? I didn't say anything bad about your product, I just answered another poster's questions. Well, I got an e-mail this morning reminding me of the lag in posting--I know for a fact that the boards were updated no less than 4 times between my responses and somehow it was just my posts that were conveniently not included--and that both posts were now on the board. icon_lol.gif

I had also "subscribed" to the thread so that I would see when the posts came up and I'VE NEVER GOTTEN THE E-MAIL TELLING ME ABOUT THE UPDATE--amazing, huh? icon_surprised.gif

I bet they're caught between a rock and a hard place--they want to know what the "buzz" is in the cake decorating community, so they monitor their BB, but they must be finding it very hard to tolerate people asking about non-Wilton products and espousing non-Wilton opinions. icon_wink.gif

Well, we all know--THE TRUTH HURTS SOMETIMES icon_lol.gif

Rae

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 7:23pm
post #60 of 75

I came to CC from Wilton. I still visit them once in a while, but I love CC a lot more. CC you are great!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%