Fondant Figures?

Decorating By cykrivera Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 1:28am by superstar

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if there was any reason that fondant figures couldn't be made out of baked polymer clay, other than the obvious "it wouldn't be called fondant figures" icon_lol.gif . I ask this because I wonder if fondant figures can be saved by the customer without worry of ants getting to it or heat melting it. If the polymer clay is baked, it shouldn't leave behind any color or residue. I've never made any figures before, but am interested in starting. What do you all think of this? It's rare that anyone would eat the figurine anyway right? Thanks in advance for the help.

8 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 9

Fondant figures are 100% food safe, which I'm not sure if baked polymer clay is? Also, cake decorators always have access to fondant, but maybe not so much a kiln, lol icon_lol.gif And for the farm cake I just did the mom said all the kids were clamoring "I want a pig! I want a duck!" and she was divvying up all the little MMF animals and the kids ate every last animal icon_cry.gif So yeah, sometimes they do get eaten.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 9

Polymer clay isn't food safe. If you place them on something - not directly on the cake they will be fine. Just make sure the customer knows they're not edible.

Debbie

wanted to add - don't use your fondant/gumpaste tools on the polymer clay. have a separate set for the clay so it doesn't contaminate your good set.

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the help. I think the clay can be baked in the oven, but you're right and I'm not positive about it being food safe. Have you heard about pepole saving their toppers (when made of fondant)? I wonder if they have problems. Sorry to hear about your farm. Kiddies are ravenous when it comes to sugar!!!
BTW I can't wait to join Cake Boss. It really looks ideal for my needs. I am going to do it this week and download it to my home computer and the computer at my kitchen! Thanks for the discount!

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 9

my wedding cake toppers are fondant... and are still as good as the day i had them on the cake -- ok, maybe a little faded - it was 6 yrs ago... i have them in an airtight container with some silica gel satchets in there (from shoe boxes)... so I think the lifespan of them will be fine... maybe give some tips to ur prospective brides on storage (dark, driy, sealed)...

HTH

-- Fi

mdomonch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdomonch Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 9

I personally made my own wedding cake topper (although not the wedding cake, this was before I found my cake passion LOL!). I made it out of the clay you are speaking of, and it was a bride and groom snowmen! they were adorable and sat right on top of my cake with no problems. I have been able to save them and use them as christmas decorations each year!
As for a wedding cake I don't think a bride and groom are going to eat the topper, and i think the clay idea is very cute, it looks like the fondant but is ever lasting that doesn't have to be put away in a tight sealed box.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 9

I saved the entire topper from my husband's car cake, and the girl and bench off of my garden cake. They are both just as good as the day I made them, although I sure wouldn't want to munch on one at this point! lol. They are stored on a shelf in the room with all of my cake supplies.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 9

Here is a link to a topic started by evacakes. She uses cold porcelin(sp?) for her toppers so they can be keepsakes. It even talks a bit about how. Her cakes are truely beautiful. HTH some, Jen

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-246211-polymer.html+clay

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:28am
post #9 of 9

Sugar paste/gumpaste etc. keeps very well the flowers on my Heart Wedding Cake are now 17 years old & doing well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%