Wilton Checkerboard Pan Set

Decorating By Jasra Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 4:10pm by deijha

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

I jsut tried this set for the first time and I am so frustrated! The edges of the pans are straight so my bake even strips wouldn't stay on. The cakes shrunk to different sizes and are not even the slightest bit level. The layers are so thin if I tried to use them I think it would be the shortest cake ever! icon_cry.gif One of the cakes even looks like it is overdone on the bottom and they were all in for the same time. icon_mad.gif What a waste, now what to do with the cake.....cake balls maybe?

6 replies
thesocialfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesocialfrog Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 7

I am sorry you are so frustrated with this pan set. I do understand though. I think it takes practice of this pan to get it all right. I just bought it last month & used it 1 time so far. I must say that the little platic divider thing kept moving around when I was pouring batter into the slots of it. My cakes baked perfectly fine & tall with out using anything extra. Maybe you didn't use enough cake batter? As far as the cakes not being level, mine were not either, but I always use a cake levler. I did not end up with an exact checkerboard effect like I had hoped, but I figure with more practice it could work out,lol.
Actually my "Welcome Home Cake" in my photos, the red & black one, is the cake I made using this checkerboard pan set. It is not perfect as you can tell I most likely should have made one of the cakes darker, like made chocolate, so it would stand out more. But I am not ready to throw the set out yet,lol. As far as what to use the cake for now, I do not have a clue about that, cake balls sound good to me.

RoseAnn icon_smile.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 7

For best results, it takes more than one cake mix. I make a few cupcakes with the left overs.

It helps to use a pastry bag to fill the sections.

It is small enough that the bake even strips are not required.

This is kind of a pain, but don't give up, yet.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 7

I use the 'divider' insert with my actual baking pans since the ones that come with are nested... you know, I think mine may be another brand, now that I think about it. I spray pam on the insert and hold with one hand while pouring with the other.... It took me a while to get it just right but it sure is cool looking when its all put together! The kids go bananas when it is cut : )

I just love that part!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 7

Forgot to say that when I want to make a larger cake, I extend the insert 'arms' with foil.

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tips ladies! Did you use the recipe on the box or one of your own? The pastry bags for filling the pans, that is a great idea. I just used two box cake mixes to try it today. I did have batter left over as I only filled it half way. Next time I will put more in. I wonder if baking at a lower temp. would help? Do you bake all three pans at the same time?

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 7

Hi all, I have and use that pan a lot, the inserts can be a pain. I found out if I use a can of soup to set on them it holds them down really well and the two colors don't mix. I put my cake batter in a measuring cup with a pour spout and it works good that way. It does take 2 cake mixes with a little left over. And yes it does make a great wow factor.
Good luck and keep trying.
Jeanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%