Okay, This Was Incredibly Stupid, But I Had To Laugh!

Decorating By tobycat Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 1:09pm by yh9080

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:32am
post #1 of 9

So I'm making my strawberry cream filling recipe which I've made a lot(it's posted on here), and I'm cruising along -- la la la la -- when I notice that not only is the mixture not thickening up, but it's turned a shade of rusty, maroon, mauve color. Hmmm -- that's odd. icon_confused.gif And, hey, it's still not thickening, so I'll just add a little more to help it out. Hmmm -- now, it's rising a bit, but the strawberries appear to be disintegrating! icon_eek.gif What gives??? It doens't even taste that good. Well, maybe I'll just need to add a bit more baking powder.......hey, wait a second! BAKING POWDER!!!! I'd been adding baking powder instead of CORNSTARCH! icon_redface.gif

Yes, I wasted a perfectly good 40 oz bag of strawberries, and yes, I wasted a lot of baking powder, BUT, I figured out why the mixture kept rising, and I learned that baking powder will basically eat/disintigrate strawberries.

Sure glad I didn't plow forward and add it to the cake! I must really have been in la la land on that one!

S.

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:15am
post #2 of 9

Well, you're right to laugh. it could have a lot worse.

I recently did something equally mindless. I added the cocoa (contains fat) to the eggwhites/icing BEFORE they were whipped. Ooops. It will never whip that way.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:43am
post #3 of 9

i won't even mention the time i bough royal icing flowers, and thought i could dye them by soaking them in a solution of watered-down gel color.

the pile of mush sure was a pretty color,though.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:49am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensjustdessert

i won't even mention the time i bough royal icing flowers, and thought i could dye them by soaking them in a solution of watered-down gel color.

the pile of mush sure was a pretty color,though.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:50am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensjustdessert

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Too funny

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 3:56am
post #6 of 9

That sounds kinda like me. I made the cake, but couldn't figure out why I had left over eggs sitting on the counter. I realized I forgot to add them into the batter, as I was cleaning up my messes and the cake was already in the OVEN! LOL!

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 9

Ah, at least I know I am not the only one who does some mindless things. I once used salt instead of sugar in a batch of cakes. They were both in big bins, and I was rushing. Ooops!

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 9

oohh how about this one...I was making triple choclate cranberry OATMEAL cookies...got them in the oven, told my assistant to keep an eye on them while I delivered a cake, got about 5 miles up the road when I realized I forgot to add the oatmeal!! icon_surprised.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 9

I made a couple of batchs of fondant last month using the same recipe I always use and couldn't figure out why it was so soft. I blamed it on the humidity and soldiered on. The next time I made it, I realized that the previous time, I had used 1 cup corn syrup instead of 1/2 cup!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%