How To Make It A Legal Home Business?

Business By babyscake Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 6:22pm by JoAnnB

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 8

I want to know everything there is about making my home business legal! I just started making cakes about 3 years ago but not for a business. I like the fact I can stay at home with my kids and bake! I just dont know how to start. I dont want to have problems later because I am not licensed or what ever else I need to do. Can some one help me please and help me get started at home? I live in Portsmouth, Virginia.

7 replies
bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 8

Contact the health dept and the dept of agriculture. They will tell you everything you need to know.

brownc78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownc78 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 8

icon_sad.gif HELLO EVERYONE, I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS. MY FIRST QUESTIONS IS WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE TO A PERSON WHO IS EAGER TO LEARN HOW TO START THEIR OWN BUSINESS AT HOME, AND ADVERTISE. I'M ALL EARS, AND THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP.

CBROWN

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:47am
post #4 of 8

A search in this forum provided a number for the virginia Department of Agriculture . they manage licensing home baking

Dept. of Agriculture (804) 786-3520

Brownc78: It depends on where you live. some states, like California, do not allow home baked goods to be sold to the public. Other states, require commercial kitchens, and some will license home baking with some simple limits (no pets) and an inspection annually.

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much! I will have to look into it!

brownc78 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 8

thank you for the information.

brownc78 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 8

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE GUIDE LINES FOR CINCINNATI OHIO

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 8

brownc78

A search using ohio in this form provided this link. Apparently, in Ohio, the state Department of Agriculture is the licensing entity.

Dept. of Agriculturehttp://www.ohioagriculture.gov/pubs/divs/food/food-licensing.stm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%