Flat-Topped Cupcakes

Decorating By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 25 Mar 2007 , 7:55am by dutchdecorator

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 1 Jan 2005 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 8

I know a few people say you don't have to have level cupcakes for ccc's. I'm of the opinion you do have to have nice flat level cakes for a great ccc. Most of the time, because I take such great care, my cupcakes come out of the oven flat and even in height, or at least they are to the naked eye. But once in awhile I have a couple that just want to buck the system.

Once I read that someone (I don't remember who or which board) leveled her cakes by pressing down on it with her hands as soon as it came out of the oven (instead of cutting it). I thought I would try this with cupcakes. I used a cutting board so that it would all be even. I placed a heavy bowl over the cutting board for additional weight. I left it alone like this for just a few minutes, maybe 3.

It worked like a charm!!

Picture of flattening cakes with a board

7 replies
Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 1 Jan 2005 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

I know a few people say you don't have to have level cupcakes for ccc's. I'm of the opinion you do have to have nice flat level cakes for a great ccc. Most of the time, because I take such great care, my cupcakes come out of the oven flat and even in height, or at least they are to the naked eye. But once in awhile I have a couple that just want to buck the system.

Once I read that someone (I don't remember who or which board) leveled her cakes by pressing down on it with her hands as soon as it came out of the oven (instead of cutting it). I thought I would try this with cupcakes. I used a cutting board so that it would all be even. I placed a heavy bowl over the cutting board for additional weight. I left it alone like this for just a few minutes, maybe 3.

It worked like a charm!!

Picture of flattening cakes with a board

Thanks Dawn!

Thats a great tip!

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:19am
post #3 of 8

Why do you want flat topped cupcakes??? icon_redface.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 8

i was wondering about this. i need flat topped cupcakes for easter and was wondering how i was gonna do it.

unfortunatley, i can't see your picture.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy120

Why do you want flat topped cupcakes??? icon_redface.gif

lot nicer for cupcake cakes and when want to do extra fancy tops that aren't just mounds of icing.

found updated photo:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1241289315051689275hiVPJD

dutchdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchdecorator Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 8

I was wondering if the tops are not sticking to the board(or does that only happen if you forget and let the board sit to long.)
thanks for the tip! I'm going to try defenitely!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 8

When I do mine, I put paper towels on top of the cupcakes first and then put the boards down. And I really only leave the boards on for a minute--I either put something on it to weigh it down or I just press on it. The cupcakes get nice and flat and rarely does the paper towel stick. Flat cupcakes are very perfect for cupcake cakes! thumbs_up.gif

dutchdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchdecorator Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:55am
post #8 of 8

thanks Missyek,
I think I will use the paper trick just in case!
I.m afraid cupcake cakes are totally new to the Netherlands (and to me,I've seen them though but they look like much work to me).
I love your cakes btw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%