Payment Arrangements For Wedding Cake

Business By MsRhonda Updated 19 Aug 2006 , 3:57am by kjgjam22

MsRhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRhonda Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 4:28am
post #1 of 7

For those of you that do wedding cakes, do you ask for payment up front or after the cake is delivered? I've done a few wedding cakes so far and up until the last one that I did, I had always received payment when I delivered the cake. On the last one, after the bride ordered the cake she asked how much it would be and wrote me a check for it on the spot. Which way do you all do it?

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 4:33am
post #2 of 7

I ask for 50% on the day of booking to reserve the date. the balance must be paid if full 1 week before the date. Sometimes they pay it all up front.

You contract or order form should specify the terms of your arrangement.

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 4:48am
post #3 of 7

I ask for 50% at day of signing the contract. I then ask for the rest 3 weeks prior to the wedding. Anything after 3 weeks is only cash or money order.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 7

I've had several to book on the day of the consultation. Maybe it's not the best "business move" for me, but I tell them that I'll hold their check for 48 hours, should they find someone else that they'd rather go with. I want to be honest, and give them that option. I mean, we're talking a lot of money for a wedding cake. My brides seem to appreciate that. As for payments, I require 50% down (which comes off of their total balance) AND a signed contract before I reserve their date on my calendar. They are welcome to make payments on the balance up until 2 weeks prior to their date. The balance must be paid in full prior to the 2 week mark. If not, NO cake, and their 50% deposit is NOT returned. When they know that the 50% is "lost" if they don't follow through, they pay by that 2 week mark. So far, knock on wood, no problems with any wedding cake.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 7

When they book, I get a $50. deposit. Cakes are to be paid one week in advance of the wedding. It's too busy for the bride & family to worry about paying me when I usually don't run into them while delivering!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 7

I only ask for hold-the-date deposits May thru Sept, and it's 10% or $200, which ever is smaller. I get 50% of the remaining balance 3 weeks prior to the event (along with final headcount, and final decisions on cake design and menus) and the balance due the day of the event. I tell them if they don't want the hassle of handing out checks the day of the event, they are welcome to send 2 checks ahead of time with the 2nd one dated the day of the event. My accountant and attorney REALLY DISLIKE this arrangement, but I've never been burned yet. I do not charge a gratuity up front (most caterers tack on 20% gratuity right from the start .... I HATE that! icon_mad.gif ) and I find that if they pay the balance the day of the event, they are more likely to add a gratuity, (which I split up among the folks I hire to work the reception with me) than they are if they pay ahead of time. I know my deposit/payment plan is pretty lenient compared to most, but we work under the philosophy of "we keep it simple for you", and it's worked so far.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:57am
post #7 of 7

i ask for 50 % before the wedding and the balance after they come back from honeymoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%