Credit Cards

Business By Lenette Updated 18 Aug 2006 , 3:54am by TPDC

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone take them? I am looking for recommendations for a processor. Thanks!

5 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 6

Check with Bank of America. A company I used to work for used them. They don't take the fee out of the amount that is charged (which makes for some deep research when reconciling). They just add the fee at the end of your statement as a deduction of its own.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 6

Check with your local bank. My bank recommended my processor. Since the money goes directly into the checking account, it works out well. I would also recommend if you take plastic to take them all, Discover and AmEx, too. AmEx has the highest fee but it's (oh gosh can't remember exactly) but in the range of 3% +/-. My attitude is "would you rather have 97% of something or 100% of nothing?" People tend to spend more when they use a credit card and it helps for long distance transactions (I ship a lot of my cookies to military kids, and their moms call me from all over, so without credit card access, I'd probably not have this part of my business.)

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 6

Costco (if you have one) has a great program.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 17 Aug 2006 , 9:17am
post #5 of 6

When I first opened I used a company called Merchant Services, I have a Nurit processor which is smart card ready. What I have found out is that you need to check all and I mean all the extra fees. Actual swiping the card will usually give you a better rate, then say getting the customers number over the phone and having to key it in. It is considered unsecured and may charge up to 2 % more for manual entry. Also if you intend to lease your machine, you are usually locked in for 4 years, at the end of the lease you will have to buy the lease out. If you do not do this say one month before your lease expires you will automatically have to keep making a monthly payment. They are tricky. If you can afford to buy out right do so. Also you will pay statement fees, whether you have any charges or not. You can check out Sams also, they have a program.

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 3:54am
post #6 of 6

I'm not that far yet. I am still trying to figure out this Pay-Pal account I set up for my business. They say you can accept credit cards, but I am so computer iliterate it is all jiberish to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%